Author Topic: EP554: Captain Drake Learns His Lines  (Read 5418 times)

eytanz

on: December 18, 2016, 08:17:07 PM
EP554: Captain Drake Learns His Lines

AUTHORS: Amy Sisson & Kate Suratt
NARRATOR: Christopher Cornell
HOST: Alasdair Stuart

---

So I was sitting there minding my own business and trying to choke down the rotgut Rick passes off as whiskey, when who should come sailing through the door but Jeanne Bixby –- yes, the Jeanne Bixby, the biggest telewave starlet this side of the galaxy. She’d covered that famous red-gold hair with a gauzy green scarf and wore sunglasses, but she had to take them off because the bar was so dim she nearly tripped over the Candalubian dozing on the floor just inside the doorway.

Candalubians can sleep anywhere.

Anyway, I knew it was her the minute she took the glasses off, but I couldn’t figure out what the hell she was doing in Rick’s Bar. She didn’t even have her contingent of red-carpet bodyguards with her, just a single H’Rak’tin wearing brass knuckles on all four hands.

On second thought, maybe that was enough. H’Raks are famous for what they can do with brass knuckles.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 11:23:08 AM
I read this 'cast instead of listening to it. Thanks for providing the entire transcript. Short & sweet.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

DerangedMind

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 05:27:20 AM
I enjoyed this story - it was a good, light hearted story with a loveable scoundrel as the protaganist.

My only complaint with the story was that it felt like a chapter from a book, not a stand-alone story.

But, that hopefully means we'll be seeing more of Captain Drake coming soon!

Zelda

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 07:11:10 AM
I think this story is a lot of fun. I'd be interested in learning more about any of the characters.

The story struck a tone I found entertaining right at the beginning and maintained it though the rest of the tale. I like it.

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 02:00:24 AM
I enjoyed this story - it was a good, light hearted story with a loveable scoundrel as the protaganist.

My only complaint with the story was that it felt like a chapter from a book, not a stand-alone story.

But, that hopefully means we'll be seeing more of Captain Drake coming soon!

I believe you are correct. On the post itself, the authors commented as follows:

“Captain Drake, Interstellar Shipper” is looking for a home as we speak…. Thanks for listening!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 03:31:10 PM
This one kept my interest as I was listening to it, though it felt like good old fashioned SFnal fun romp.

Usually I'm a huge fan of Alasdair's outros, but I honestly wasn't sure what to make of this one--it seemed to say that this wasn't a good old fashioned SFnal fun romp, and I thought it was, I'm not sure what made it otherwise.  *shrug*  (Not saying there's anything wrong with whether it was or whether it wasn't, I have enjoyed plenty of old-fashioned romps and new-fashioned tales)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 08:38:04 PM
I was aiming more for 'SF's ridiculous love affair with its past bores me to semi consciousness but this, which at first looks like being that, is in fact much more interesting and vibrant and fun and I learned things' :)

ChrisKelworth

• Extern
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 03:20:21 AM
Just read this one today, and I thought it was a light-hearted fun romp, until the end. What really kicked it up for me was Jeanne's story... just a woman trying the last thing she could think of to connect with a father she'd never known. And Drake starts off looking pretty scummy, but throughout the story, he does the right thing several times, and those choices help Jeanne get a little closer to what she's trying to do.

It also reminded me of "Firefly" in the best way; not so close as to be a deliberate takeoff or re-imagining, but taking the message and the spirit of Serenity into a different 'Verse. If you can't do something smart, do something right. Drake definitely did.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 04:00:14 AM
I also got welcome hints of Firefly in this one. I was enjoying it as a fun romp, but getting to hear Jeanne's story at the end kicked it up a notch for me. I hope she gets the reunion she's looking for.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 05:15:21 PM
I really liked this story too. It hit all the right notes for me. Fun romp. Interesting action. Fairly standard characters that are wonderfully fleshed out through the story arc until they become people we care about. Well done!