Author Topic: PC Mini 94: Further Arguments [...] Yudah Cohen’s Proposal To Bluma Zilberman  (Read 3534 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
PodCastle Miniature 94: Further Arguments In Support Of Yudah Cohen’s Proposal To Bluma Zilberman

by Rebecca Fraimow

read by Richard Dansky

First published in Diabolical Plots. Read it here.

Rated PG.

Dear Bluma,

I heard that Hershel Schmulewitz, that blockhead, has also presumed to ask for your hand in marriage, which gives you two proposals to consider. Now, you needn’t worry that this will be a sentimental or a wheedling sort of letter. You already know how I feel, and I suppose Hershel’s not so much of a blockhead that he doesn’t feel the same way. I’m simply writing to lay out the reasons, plainly and concisely, why it would certainly be more to your benefit to marry me.

Rebecca Fraimow is an author and archivist living in Boston. Her marketable skills include identifying old videotape formats, typing extremely fast, and stealing ideas from Sholom Aleichem.

Richard Dansky is the author of several novels and a video game designer who works for Ubisoft.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 05:31:03 AM by Ocicat »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am obviously very biased when it comes to this story, having been the original editor and publisher of it, but I LOVE this story.  I have re-read this so many times, but it has never worn out its humor for me.  I especially love the reveal, which I had not seen coming at all.  I hope you all love it as much as I did.  :)

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
The narrator added flare to this tale.  Talk about hard-sell!

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...snip...
I especially love the reveal, which I had not seen coming at all.  I hope you all love it as much as I did.  :)
Made me smile, big time. My my...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
This story made me grin. At a time when I really needed a grin.

Fantastically written and fantastically read. Bravo all.

TrishEM

• Matross
I loved listening to this one. It had a wonderful tone (great narration too). Judah Cohen obviously thinks highly of himself, yet somehow he also comes across as earnest and caring. His discretion may be debatable, as he wrote down some highly inflammatory secrets, so I hope he actually managed to hand the letter personally to Bluma Zilberman rather than mailing it.

I also like how the author avoids having Judah give the implication of blackmailing Bluma into marriage by preemptively exposing his own secret to her, although I wonder what the secret behind the secret of his inability to sire children is -- I had fleeting thoughts that maybe he's a woman pretending to be a man, in order to study, a la Yentl; or, maybe he's just physically incapable, otherwise. I haven't had a chance to go back and listen to this yet, so maybe I just missed a quick reveal.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that there's a sequel to this mini-story, and I look forward to listening to it.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
This is so hilarious, Yudah just keeps digging deeper and deeper... Thank you PodCastle for running this one as well as the full length sequel!