Author Topic: CoW Ep. 220: Dinovember! Raptor Boy  (Read 3452 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: December 29, 2016, 06:52:02 PM
Episode 220: Dinovember! Raptor Boy by Elise Forier Edie

• Narrated by Alex Hofelich
• Guest host Setsu Uzume
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!

A special thank you to our audio producer Jeremy Carter for the excellent photo in this week’s episode artwork. Check out his Etsy shop, On The Edge Photos.

Elise Forier Edie is an author and playwright based in Los Angeles. Her speculative fiction has been published in anthologies and magazines, and her plays have been performed throughout the US and Canada. Recent works include the short story Lucy in the Sky, about a little girl at war with the fairy queen, published this summer in The Enchanted Conversation, and the forthcoming, Backwater Saints, about rock bands and necromancers in the Florida everglades, due out in Disturbed Digest in December. Her play The Pink Unicorn, about a Christian widow grappling with her teenaged daughter’s announcement that she is genderqueer, will be playing in Pittsburgh in January 2017 at Off the Wall. You can follow her online or on Twitter.

Alex Hofelich is Co-Editor of Pseudopod, the longest running weekly short horror fiction podcast, which you can follow on Twitter. He is currently re-reading the Three Investigator series, which was one of his entry points to the horror genre. He recommends hunting down a copy of those or Roger Zelazny’s A Night in the Lonesome October to help your journey.

I am running between cornfields on a dark country road. A rifle, slung on my back, pounds my spine. The moon rises ahead, gigantic and golden. I think of werewolves, of holes in the sky. I picture my spine unzipping, and a giant lizard crawling out of my skin. My foot snags on a tuft of grass. I stagger and catch myself before my chin hits the ground.
Behind me, in town, my older brother Arnie rallies with a troop of redneck warriors. They are frenzied on drugs, eager to maim. Their loud laughter circles the lone streetlamp, shining above Happy Dak's trailer park.

Click here to listen to Episode 220
Click here to read the text of the story

Tags: Alex Hofelich, Cast of Wonders, Dinovember, Elise Forier Edie, fitting in, growing up, intolerance, Jeremy Carter, paganism, peer pressure, religion, Setsu Uzume, small town, transformation, Young Adult fiction

Edited audio file to correct glitch
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:26:34 PM by danooli »

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 04:20:43 PM
Once again, I have to ask: did anyone else experience playback weirdnesses with this one? I had several loops in the recording while listening in the car. At least 3 or even 4 repetitions of one part, and a doubling of at least two other parts.

[ETA] Aha. I see 'edited audio file to correct glitch.' I'll download again and see if it makes more sense without the repetitions. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 04:23:49 PM
Sorry Kaa! Yes, we did have an audio gremlin. However, the jerk has been vanquished and hopefully won't ever rear it's ugly head again.

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 04:29:58 PM
Sorry Kaa! Yes, we did have an audio gremlin. However, the jerk has been vanquished and hopefully won't ever rear it's ugly head again.

I suspect the story will make more sense in a coherent order. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 08:27:49 PM
Yes, MUCH more comprehensible. :) There's still one little repetition left, but it's minor.

Good story. One might even say relevant, given the political climate.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 04:04:02 PM
Hmmm,  interesting story, certain relevant in the current sociopolitical climate, at least in the US.  It seemed like it ended pretty abruptly, wasn't sure I liked the ending.