Escape Artists
July 24, 2017, 11:36:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We're halfway through the first round of the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Groups 8-10 are currently taking votes.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pseudopod 526: The Great American Nightmare  (Read 1141 times)
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 10:59:34 AM »

That being said, when a publisher purchases and runs a story with any political opinion, that publisher is taking a risk. From previous stories that pseudopod has run, I know what their beliefs are because I've never seen them publish a story of the opposite belief - even in extreme metaphor. I think that can somewhat reflect on the editor and narrator, which I can respect both, but when they only select stories in which they believe matches closest to their political choice, one has to wonder how fair they are actually being.

At this point, I really don't care for the "modern American political" stories that are published in a genre other than nonfiction. Not due to this story, but I now take extra care to avoid stories that pseudopod runs that may be a political piece, especially understanding what pseudopod's stances are, even if they believe they are flat across the board.

One of the editors here. Not going to respond to the comments about the story, as that stands on its own as a piece very distinctly of the moment, but instead respond to the editorial critiques. There's actually a broader set of political beliefs on the editorial staff than you will probably believe.

Fiction tends to skew towards social and civil liberty issues, as things like fiscal policy tends to make for unengaging reading. And there is, quite honestly, a significant disparity between the volume of quality social conservative fiction we receive in our submissions pile and the volume of quality social liberal fiction. Stories on either side that favor didacticism over good storytelling will rarely make the cut.

Faith is something that lamentably gets a poor treatment far more often than it does not. Stories where someone tries to prove that God doesn't exist (or destroy faith) by trying to force Them into intervening will rarely make the cut.

We're always looking for quality stories, and I think our back catalog shows we don't shy away from pushing buttons. Tell your conservative horror author friends to not self reject and send us their best work.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: