Author Topic: PC459, ARTEMIS RISING: Ice Bar  (Read 3256 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: March 11, 2017, 08:54:54 PM
PodCastle 459, ARTEMIS RISING: Ice Bar

by Petra Kuppers

read by Marguerite Croft

hosted by Bogi Takács

A PodCastle Original!

Rated PG.

She emerged into the bright sunshine, some daynight after. She looked up to the sky, some daynight after. The sun looked different, somehow, not doubled, exactly, but there was a too-muchness in the air. And a new color to the shadows on the ground. The shadows were smaller, unfamiliar.

Click here to continue reading.

Petra Kuppers is a disability culture activist and a community performance artist. She is a Professor at the University of Michigan, and she teaches on the MFA in Interdisciplinary Arts at Goddard College. Her most recent poetry collection is PearlStitch (Spuyten Duyvil: 2016). Her stories have appeared or are forthcoming in The Sycamore Review, Visionary Tongue, Future Fire, Wordgathering, Festival Writer, and Accessing the Future: A Disability-Themed Anthology of Speculative Fiction. She is the Artistic Director of The Olimpias, an international disability culture collective. She lives in Ann Arbor with her poet partner and collaborator, Stephanie Heit.

Marguerite Croft lives by the ocean just south of San Francisco. She has read stories for Podcastle and Escape Pod, and provided the audio narration for Tim Pratt’s The Strange Adventures of Rangergirl. She makes regular appearances on the Point Mystic podcast where she is also a story developer and script editor.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 07:26:28 PM
I've been to clubs like this, haha~ So I was already at home in Ice Bar. The lushness and strangeness reminded me of Francesca Lia Block's writing, her books Ecstasia and Primavera. Still not sure how the Ice Bar kept going, was it feeding on its inhabitants? This merits a re-listen.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Lionman

• Peltast
  • Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.
    • The Practice of IT.
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:53:12 PM
I thought the world building here was intriguing, and hoped there was more to it.  This story seems like such a small slice of it and I thought the story was okay, it wasn't a nail biter, it didn't really have me hanging on every word...other than to hope something exciting happened.

Failure is an event, not a person.