Author Topic: Text Against Tyranny: Banned Books Week 2017  (Read 3680 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: March 19, 2017, 07:52:47 PM
Text Against Tyranny: Banned Books Week 2017

There have always been times when facts are questioned and truths threatened. When reality is malleable, and people’s opinions are not. When freedom becomes an excuse for persecution, and we’re told to fear the faces of our friends.

September 24 to September 30 is Banned Books Week, an annual international event celebrating the freedom to read and raising awareness of the immense social value of free and open access to information. To celebrate, Cast of Wonders is continuing its tradition of holding a specific submission call for new YA fiction to air that week.

2017’s theme is Text Against Tyranny: the stories some would silence, and the power of literature, in all its forms, to enlighten humanity’s darkest hours.

What We’re Looking For

It’s said that if you repeat a lie often enough, people will start believing it – stories are no exception.

In times of seismic change, the stories that matter are the ones that enrich, inspire and support us… or simply give us the strength to carry on.  We’re looking for stories of survival in difficult times, when being true to yourself can be the most dangerous choice you make.  Stories of protest – subtle or overt. We want stories that have the courage and will to change the lives and worlds of their characters… and our own.  Send us unheard voices in unexpected places — tales that transform, and truths that define.

The stories we’re looking for might not have happy endings. Sometimes it’s the journey that matters, or the path forged for others to follow. Unknowable splattery horror and slapstick comedic romps will be hard sells. Stories that focus on silencing, marginalizing or suppressing the rights of others will be summarily rejected. Religious themes are welcome but must not present as dogmatic. Political themes are strongly encouraged – soapboxes are not.

You can find detailed submission guidelines, timeline, and previous year’s stories on our Banned Books Week page.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 12:32:34 AM
I've been puttering around the back catalog, and finally listened to Episode 138: Things We Leave Behind by Alex Shvartsman. This was an excellent Banned Books story and helped ground why keeping this in focus is so important.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”