Escape Artists
March 23, 2017, 09:10:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EP567: Baro Porrajmos, or Love in the Vardo  (Read 64 times)
eytanz

« on: March 19, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »

EP567: Baro Porrajmos, or Love in the Vardo

AUTHOR: Eileen Gunnell Lee
NARRATOR: Marguerite Croft
HOST: Divya Breed

---

The day we left the Static was the best day of our lives. The Static had been squalid—a cold concrete building with perpetually wet floors sloping toward the drains. There had been too many of us in there, even without the men.

We celebrated the day we left the Static. We ate the rest of our rations, so certain were we that after that day we would forage in the countryside, or trade for what we couldn’t glean ourselves.

Freedom! Opre Roma, and all that.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
ProperPunctuation
Extern

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:22:04 PM »

I loved this story!
The world of the story felt very real, and certain details really stuck with me. The fact that the vardos were supposedly secondhand, for example. The romani people were so mistreated that even in a fantasy of the best-case scenario, the government still skimped on the vardos, getting them cheaper and second-hand.

I'm also really glad to see another first time author published in Artemis rising! 2 out of 3 is really impressive.
Katzentatzen
Extern

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 02:15:38 PM »

This one had a delayed reaction for me, the true horror didn't hit me until later. Still not sure what was up with the children. Loved it all the same.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: