Escape Artists

News:

• Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

News

Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

Author Topic: Story about living spaceships?  (Read 7607 times)

sherbang

• Extern
on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:15 AM
Can anyone help me remember a story?

It was about living spaceships.  The spaceships were like hollowed-out space whales.  The "space whales" were captured and forced to serve as spaceships.  I think the story revolved around one of them getting free somehow.  I can't remember if it was alone, or with help, but I think there was still a person inside along for the ride.

It was podcasted at least a year ago, but probably a few years ago.

I haven't had much luck searching for it.  If anyone can help me identify it, I want to share it with a friend, I'd appreciate it.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:03:33 AM
The first ones that come to mind for me are the Boojum stories over on Drabblecast.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

sherbang

• Extern
Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 01:44:40 PM
That's the one I was looking for.  Thanks Fenrix!

TRJ

• Extern
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 11:30:15 PM
I can't help you with that podcast.  But Anne McCaffrey has a series of novels about living spaceships of a different sort.  The spaceships are actually cyborgs.  The idea is that in the womb babies are identified with severe birth defects, so severe they would die without extensive technological enhancement.  A space agency pays the expense of saving their lives and enclosing them in a life support system.  They are trained to be the brains of a special kind of FTL spaceship called a brainship.  Each brainship has a crew of 2, the brain, which is one of the former students encased in a cylindrical shaped life support system, who is interfaced the spaceship, which she/he senses and controls as his/her body, and the brawn, a graduate of the brawn accademy and selected by the brain, which is the senior partner, to serve as the mobile partner.  The 2 are employees of the space agency and are paid for their services, with the brain payed at a higher rate.  Once the brain has earned enough to pay back for the cost of both the medical treatment and the spaceship itself, the brainship becomes a free ship having no further obligation to the space agency.  "The Ship Who Sang", published in 1969 was the 1st in the series I read.

SomebodyElse

• Extern
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 01:37:57 AM
The novella Binti also features living starships bred from fish.