Author Topic: EP570: What Good is a Glass Warrior?  (Read 5952 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: April 10, 2017, 07:05:04 PM
EP570: What Good is a Glass Warrior?

AUTHOR: G. Scott Huggins
NARRATOR: Jen Rhodes
HOST: Tina Connolly

---

I hold the release lever to the airlock in my hand. The inner door stands open behind me. I say a brief prayer. I pull the lever down.

The soft wind of Langstrand rushes into the colony ship, smelling of forest and beach. Behind me, bulkheads close with soft bangs. All except the ones I’ve cut out of the circuit. No alarms sound. No lights flash. Quickly, I jog back to Cargo Bay One.

Now there is only waiting.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:45:49 PM
Not bad, but there were a few problems.
The monster was irritatingly exactly "designed" to be vulnerable for the physical characteristics of the hero.
And there was only ONE monster on the planet? I wonder what happens when the monster's family/tribe/parents/children/whatever finds out what has happened...

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 03:22:21 AM
Not bad, but there were a few problems.
The monster was irritatingly exactly "designed" to be vulnerable for the physical characteristics of the hero.
And there was only ONE monster on the planet? I wonder what happens when the monster's family/tribe/parents/children/whatever finds out what has happened...

Best not to worry too much.

Habakkuk21

• Extern
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:09:32 PM
(I made these comments on the main page, but it's still awaiting moderation. I am now informed that this is the appropriate place to post reviews.)
Audio books are a new experience for me! I can easily blend in listening to my daily routines at times books and e-books won’t work.
Since I AM new at this, I’m not sure of what’s expected in a review.
First, the reader: lovely, lovely voice! Great energy and characterization. The use of accents to set apart one speaker from another worked very well.
Second, the story: the Glass Lass has had an unpleasant joke played on her. Because of choices her parents made, she was born blind and transparent, a condition further aggravated because she was the first child so formed. It’s rather remarkable that she has any point of contact with the rest of humanity. I suspect that much of that has to do with the firm guidance she received from her parents.
That upbringing bears fruit unexpectedly, when her colony is attacked by an unknown assassin, and her passion for the suffering of her father and mother drive her to find a solution for their dismal-seeming future.
Excellent story!

jenni4096

• Extern
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 06:02:49 PM
Stepping out from the woodwork to comment on this story.

I liked this story for the same reasons I enjoyed Punk Rock Voyager (my first Escape Pod listen).  The story doesn't care how plausible you think it is, because, well, screw you and your fascist expectations anyway. [1]

It was unrelenting, unselfconscious, courageous, adventurous fun.

Thanks!

Oh, hey, can you please turn the intro music back up?  It's my tuesday morning theme song, and if I listen to it loud, the robot lady (much as I lurv her) ends up shouting in my ears.

[1] not meant as an ad-hominem attack on other commenters. Just, you know, going with it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:20:48 PM by jenni4096 »

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:38:53 PM
Loved visualizing this exceptional family, the girl was brave and I have a soft spot for characters screwed over by the genetic lottery.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 02:26:15 PM

Oh, hey, can you please turn the intro music back up?  It's my tuesday morning theme song, and if I listen to it loud, the robot lady (much as I lurv her) ends up shouting in my ears.

Hope I got the balance better this week, Jenni?

jenni4096

• Extern
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 06:56:25 PM

Yes, thank you very much!  I should really just buy one of their albums =)

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 07:32:45 PM

Lol... well, they might appreciate that. :)

cwthree

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 06:57:54 PM
Not bad, but the story spent to much time on the details of the fight began the protagonist and the monster. I would have preferred more emphasis on world-building - why are they on this planet, why were these individuals chosen, are there other monsters, how did the uncle's insanity begin to manifest itself, etc.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 02:43:23 PM

Also go see one of their shows, they are awesome. And buy a T-shirt from them. Super cool folks.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 03:58:08 PM
Cool story, got the imagination going. We didn't get to see the alien in the end though, which was a little disappointing.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 05:48:14 PM

We didn't get to see the alien in the end though, which was a little disappointing.

I see what you did there. The light bends just a little.

This story has an interesting resonance with Ambrose Bierce's "The Damned Thing" which didn't occur to me much after listening to this. Totally worth checking out, and could even be considered science fiction for its time.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Varsha

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 01:52:18 PM
That was great!
Unseen monsters, defeated by blind child :)

This story made me think there is a lot of history to this world, without explicitly explaining it, like the pas war, the colonization. I like that

Excellent narration.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 04:13:19 PM
Sorry, I found this a bit too confusing, with too many details glossed over or left out, that it didn't really satisfy me. I guess that means I have fascist expectations. :D