Author Topic: CoW Ep. 245: One Thing Leads To Your Mother  (Read 2487 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: April 26, 2017, 10:20:14 PM
Episode 245: One Thing Leads To Your Mother by Desmond Warzel

• Narrated by Patrick Bazile
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• First appeared in Unidentified Funny Objects 2 (UFO Publishing, 2013)
Click here to listen to Episode 245
Click here to read the text of the story

Desmond Warzel is the author of a few dozen short stories, four of which (including this one) have been featured at Cast of Wonders. He’s also particularly proud of his appearances in venerable magazines like Fantasy & Science Fiction, at nifty websites like Abyss & Apex, and in other quadrants of the vast podcasting galaxy, such as The Drabblecast. His most recent new work appears in the anthology Coven: Masterful Tales of Fantasy, from Purple Sun Press. He lives in Pennsylvania. You can follow him online.

Patrick Bazile is an American Actor/Voice Over Talent and a distinct sound in the voice over industry. Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, Patrick has voiced everything from PSA’s to major product brands. With a deep, commanding voice often referred to as “The Voice of God”, Patrick demands attention.​ Follow him online and on Twitter.

Yates propelled himself into the office. The door closed behind him, silencing the emergency klaxons that had followed him around for days like Hell's own Greek chorus. The only remaining sound was his pulse pounding in his head: too loud, too fast.
A seated figure shimmered into existence behind the desk. White, male, balding, wearing a tan sweater. "Lieutenant David Eldridge Yates. It's agreeable to see you. You have yet to avail yourself of my services."
"You're the psychologist?" asked Yates.
"System: Holographic Replica: INdividual Kounseling. S.H.R.I.N.K. for short."

Tags: AI, Cast of Wonders, childhood, Desmond Warzel, doctors, family, fathers, Freud, Humor, Jeremy Carter, Memory, mothers, Patrick Bazile, psychology, puns, scifi, space ships science fiction, technology, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:25:13 PM by danooli »

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:02:41 PM
The version I downloaded automatically from iTunes has glitches. Skipped words, parts of words, entire phrases...is that just me or is anyone else experiencing the same thing? It is, alas, unlistenable in this state.

For instance, the title at 2:05ish plays as "One thing//to Your Mother." The following few sentences have similar glitches. ("You're a psy-chijas? System hologreplica individual counseling")

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:55:50 PM
Huh. Sorry about that Kaa. I am not experiencing the same issue, and the file attached to the episode (in this thread and on the CoW site) also seems ok.  Perhaps there was an issue when you downloaded it? Would you please try to re-download and let me know if it's still corrupted?

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 09:11:29 PM
I will. I just wanted to be sure before I tried it that it wasn't a known issue.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 03:48:33 PM
Incidentally, I ended up having to listen to it on the website because no matter what I did, the file I downloaded always had those glitches. Again, it must be something on MY end since no one else is complaining, but it's very odd. Loved the story. :)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 02:39:54 PM
Fun story and great narration. I laughed out loud at the HAL joke.

I got all the old computer jokes, so I guess that makes me old. I had ELIZA on a MicroVideo Interact computer that ran games from audio tapes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:44:14 PM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”