Author Topic: PseudoPod 544: Under the Rubble  (Read 5089 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: May 27, 2017, 06:48:31 PM
PseudoPod 544: Under the Rubble

by John Wiswell.

“Under the Rubble” is a Pseudopod Original. “This story is dedicated to Takeo Murata, Ishiro Honda, and Rod Serling.”

JOHN WISWELL is a writer who lives where New York keeps all its trees. His stories have appeared at Podcastle, Fireside Fiction, and Flash Fiction Online. He is chronically ill, and was inspired to write this story during a period of being bedridden alone. He believes that Horror always keeps you company. He can be found on Twitter at @WISWELL and on his blog, johnwiswell.blogspot.com.

The horror of an earthquake is something you’d never wish on anyone. In 2015, in the span of three weeks, two severe earthquakes struck the nation of Nepal. The damage was so great that much still hasn’t been rebuilt. If you’re moved by this story, please consider a donation to relief efforts. More can be found at https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/nepal-earthquake-relief-fund/

This week’s reader – Marguerite Kenner is a native Californian who has forsaken sunny paradise to be with her true love and live in Merrye Olde England. She frequently wears so many hats that she needs two heads. When she’s not grappling with legal conundrums as a trainee solicitor or editing Cast of Wonders, she can be found narrating audio fiction, studying popular culture (i.e. going to movies and playing video games) with her partner Alasdair Stuart, or curling up with a really good book. You can follow her at her personal blog, Project Valkyrie, or on Twitter via @LegalValkyrie.

Shawn Garrett composed the soundbed for this episode, which he dedicates to master Godzilla composer Akira Ifukube and the german industrial band Einstürzende Neubauten. A list of links to sounds used from Freesound.org appears at the bottom of this post.

Go check out A River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey and Greedy Pigs by Matt fn Wallace.

Info on Anders Manga’s album (they do our theme music!) can be found here.

The world trembled until Samantha opened her eyes. She groaned, then coughed and spat dust. Every hitch of her chest made breathing harder, and there was something on top of her, crushing her left breast. She looked at it, but the air was too dark to see anything, so she tried pushing it away and found her arms could barely move. It felt like a metal bar pinning across her chest and biceps, digging into her skin, so she braced her elbows against the floor and heaved. The bar budged just an inch, but the inch was all it took for her to take the deepest breath of her life.

Soundbed Sources

Ambulance Siren
13GVomackovaK_ambulance.wav
FIRE ENGINE long approach and drive away
firetruck.wav
Fire_engine_siren.wav
Metal Sounds » Door_Metal_Groans_Ext.wav
Towson EMF 366»creakingmetalchair.wav
Heatpress squeaking and creaking.wav
Drones » Metal Creaks_Groans.wav
remix of 108732__klankbeeld__creaking_metal_spokes_of_the_bicycle_wheel_06.flac
furnace creaks.wav
Creaking attic door. » Attic door creaking 2
Ambiance and Background » Creaking Metal Soundscape 2
Cracking Earthquake (cracking soil, cracking stone)
Disaster » Earthquake_Interior_MetalRattling_2.wav
Large Earthquake
Earthquake » Quake1.wav
Rumble Bass 2.wav
Rumble Bass.wav
TEC Machine/Complex Sounds » Low Rumble.wav
Cinematic Deep Bass Rumble
SUBSONIC RUMBLE.wav
Staircase metal rumble.wav
Monster Pack » Monster Low Rumble 1.wav
Rumbling
Rumble » Rumble · fade in 10s

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

AliceNred

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 04:18:17 AM
I thought the story was okay BUT then it turned into a Kaiju tale. I almost cheered. The boy in the card section was a nice touch. It is hard to know that you miss something so large but it is still there and can destroy the world around you. Kind of like a Godzilla ln the room.

Stop throwing gnomes at me. They hurt.

hwaffle

• Lochage
    • Find me online
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 02:00:59 PM
Love the soundscape on this one, kudos on the stunning audio work.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 07:36:18 PM
Thanks! The story seemed to demand it. That was about 5 hours of work!

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 08:40:01 PM
I thought the story was okay BUT then it turned into a Kaiju tale. I almost cheered. The boy in the card section was a nice touch. It is hard to know that you miss something so large but it is still there and can destroy the world around you. Kind of like a Godzilla ln the room.

...and now I'm humming that ol' chess-nut of a song from Blue Oyster Cult...
Ooohhhhhhh no.
There goes Tokyo.
Oh Oh. GODZILLA.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:48:14 PM
Oh hell yes. So many stories have the protagonist at the center of the action, I love when it's someone off to the side with a trauma of their own.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 05:51:22 PM
I listened to the final product the other night. The soundbed and the narration were perfect. Raised the hair on my arms at one point. Also bonus points for including emergency sirens, but not loud enough such that the listener would think they need to turn off the podcast to look for the external emergency. I have a lot of hate for radio commercials that use sirens, but the balance was just right.

I had also forgotten that we put Daikaiju after the episode. The guitar started up and I threw me some devil horns. Didn't matter, even though I had known somewhere deep down that that was going to happen.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:33:34 PM
I had also forgotten that we put Daikaiju after the episode. The guitar started up and I threw me some devil horns. Didn't matter, even though I had known somewhere deep down that that was going to happen.

Same here! Except I was a good 20 seconds into enjoying it when I realized I was listening to PseudoPod and got confused, then realized how fitting it was.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 04:54:24 PM
I remembered reading in school about a woman trapped under collapsed buildings in the book Hiroshima. I knew Godzilla was inspired by the trauma of the atomic bombs, but this story made the connection more real to me.

Whaletale

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 04:35:00 PM
Oh wow!! I LOVED this story!! Audio and narration were ON POINT and it was extremely well written! That ending had me literally on the edge of my seat with all my hairs standing on point! This is a great example of PseudoPod at it's finest! GREAT JOB!