Author Topic: Submission Rules  (Read 9681 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: June 01, 2017, 09:00:44 PM
PodCastle Flash Fiction Contest IV, 2017 - Submission Rules

This special Flash Fiction Contest submittable portal will be open from 00:01 on 1 June and close at 23:59 on 30 June. When the portal disappears, submissions are formally closed and will not reopen.

In order to be a valid submission to the contest, each story must adhere to the following rules:

1. The story must be no more than 500 words long, not including the title. Do not use the title to skirt around the word count. Word count will be determined using Google Docs.  

2. The story must adhere to the general Podcastle submission guidelines. Most importantly, it needs to be a fantasy story; other genres are discouraged, but crossover stories with strong fantasy elements will be permitted. As a general rule, we will take a very liberal view of what constitutes fantasy and will accept all subgenres, but authors should note that past experience shows that stories which attempt to skirt the genre restriction tend to fare badly in the voting.

3. The story must be original and previously unpublished. Stories will be posted on a members-only portion of the forum, so first publication rights will not be spent if your story does not win.

The person submitting the story must be the story's author (or acting for the author with express permission) and hold full publishing rights to the story. A story that is derived from a previous published work in another format (i.e. not a short story) is fine (assuming doing so isn't in violation of copyright, obviously).

If you are not sure whether your story counts as published or not (for example, if an earlier version has appeared on your blog but nowhere else), please write (PM or send a query to editor@podcastle.org with the subject line "QUERY") and ask before submitting. Please do not submit stories that have been entries in a previous Escape Artists contest.

4. Each author may submit ONE story to the contest. Note that this is a change from previous contests.

5. The story should be submitted in its final form, as the author intends it to be read by the voting public. We may or may not allow minor typo corrections if those slip in, but as a general rule, we will not allow authors to submit changes to stories, especially not after submissions are closed.

6. Included the body of the submission should be the title and the text of your story. Any byline will be stripped when the stories are posted in the contest, and will be revealed when either the story fails to advance, or ultimately wins. Feel free to request a pseudonym for the byline, but we will need a legal name if you win for prize purposes.

7. The top three winning stories will be published as part of a flash fiction episode of Podcastle, and the author will be paid USD $0.06 per word. In past contests, the editors have sometimes approached authors of additional stories and purchased them as well. This may or may not happen this time, at the editors' discretion.

8. Authors under 18 are welcome. By submitting, any author under 18 asserts they have obtained the permission of a parent or guardian with whom Escape Artists, Inc. can enter into a contract on behalf of the author.

9. Entries in the contest will be judged completely anonymously, with all authors on equal footing regardless of whether or not they are already published elsewhere or if they have any association with EA. In the interest of transparency, the following people have access to the submission portal, and can see the names of authors (and therefore are prohibited from participating): Jen Albert, Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali, Setsu Uzume, Craig Jackson (Ocicat), Graeme Dunlop, and Alasdair Stewart. Note that staff on EA's other podcasts, and other forum moderators, have no access to this information and may choose to participate if they wish.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 02:47:13 AM by kibitzer »

Chuk

• Lochage
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 09:46:04 PM
Closes on 31 June? That's great, I'm sure I can finish my piece before June 31 rolls around.

--
chuk

Nkari

• Extern
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 11:34:57 PM
Are submissions to be posted here?

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 12:59:35 AM
Are submissions to be posted here?

Submissions get entered through Submittable but will be posted here by Ocicat after July 1st
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:01:07 AM by danooli »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 04:39:19 PM
Exciting!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Schrodingrr

• Matross
    • Author Site
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 11:12:55 PM
Woohoo! Looking forward to it! Best of luck to the other entrants! :)

This sentence serves no purpose, so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Deborah L. Davitt

• Matross
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 03:31:35 AM
Closes on 31 June? That's great, I'm sure I can finish my piece before June 31 rolls around.

Given that June hath 30 days, I'm sure we all can finish by the first of Never, yeah. :D ;)

Anthony Creamer

• Matross
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 02:14:07 AM
I intend to submit on the 31st :)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 02:49:44 AM
Just to be clear, the closing date for submissions is June 30, as it (now) says above. Of course if you don't intend to submit, you're free to submit on June 31!

Anthony Creamer

• Matross
Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 03:43:36 AM
You take the fun out of imaginary submission dates.

Waikiki

• Extern
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 10:02:24 AM
Hi everyone, I'm here to join the competition, and looking forward to reading the other entries as well!

PaintyPaintPots

Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 10:19:52 AM
Hello everyone. Here for the contest -- good luck to all!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 10:34:34 AM

LAST DAY!

Not-a-Robot

Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 02:35:37 PM
What time do submissions close? Midnight? What time zone?

danooli

Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 02:49:29 PM
What time do submissions close? Midnight? What time zone?

Midnight EST (the portal shows 13 hours and 11 minutes until it closes and the time for me is 10:49 am EST)

kdean

• Extern
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 07:24:10 PM
Just submitted! New to all of this, so hope it goes well!

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 04:25:02 AM
Ah, crap... I waited too long.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:26 AM
I assume we're starting this brouhaha on Monday?

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 08:11:21 AM
Probably Wednesday. 

Ronan

• Hipparch
  • Repealed!
Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 02:17:10 PM
*Waits patiently*

Repealed!

danooli

Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 02:21:47 PM
*Waits patiently*

patience no longer required, as the contest has begun!

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 06:43:43 PM

Yes, but MY story hasn't posted yet and I want writing feedback noooooow!

You read the rules above, yes?  You're not allowed to reveal which story is yours.  Let me be more precise, though.  You're also not allowed to reveal which group your story is in.  Or, for that matter, which group it's not in.

So let this be a warning for authors going forward.  Don't say if your story has or hasn't been posted yet unless you've already been knocked out.  Or until all stories have been posted.

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 07:11:41 PM
If you feel that anything in my post reveals which story is mine out of the remaining 15 groups, then you're operating at a level well beyond anything I have ever encountered. 

knigget

• Matross
  • Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!
    • apoGrypha
Reply #23 on: July 06, 2017, 07:19:20 PM
If you feel that anything in my post reveals which story is mine out of the remaining 15 groups, then you're operating at a level well beyond anything I have ever encountered. 

That's why it's only a warning; the last thing anyone wants is to have to draw a line at how much hinting warrants disqualification.

http://www.apoGrypha.blogspot.com

What would have been written. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thunderscreech

• Lochage
Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 07:29:25 PM
I have deleted my message, I did not think there was any way it could violate the rules and I feel very embarrassed and upset that the folks whom I respect determined otherwise.  My apologies.