Author Topic: PC472: The Chaos Village — Part 2  (Read 3183 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: June 01, 2017, 10:10:41 PM
PodCastle 472: The Chaos Village — Part 2

by M.K. Hutchins
read by Heath Miller
A PodCastle original!

Rated PG-13.

The ground under Rob’s feet shifted from sand to jagged shale and back again. The mountains folded into valleys, then spiked into cliffs. The green clouds turned into triangles and tried to stab him in the back, but crumpled and fell off.

Rob turned another page in his notebook, skimming his research notes. Thanks to the natural Order present in all humans, his own body and the things he held didn’t randomly transform in the Chaos. But despite pages and pages of lovely charts and neatly-labeled columns, he couldn’t say much more about Chaos than that.

Click here to read more

M.K. Hutchins regularly draws on her background in archaeology when writing fiction. Her YA fantasy novel Drift was both a Junior Library Guild Selection and a VOYA Top Shelf Honoree. Her short fiction appears in Podcastle, IGMS, Daily Science Fiction, and elsewhere. A long-time Idahoan, she now lives in Utah with her husband and four children. Find her at www.mkhutchins.com.

Originally from Perth, Western Australia, Heath Miller can be found in theatres, recording studios, comedy clubs, television sets, convention centres and YouTube videos—Heath currently finds himself living on an island off the coast of Maine with his partner, two improbably large cats, two dogs of wildly varying ages and temperaments, and a brace of chickens named after various saints from history. You can follow him on twitter at @zaboots.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:27:03 AM
I love this world, and the characters. Rob continues to charm me. Great story! Great reading! Thank you M.K., Heath and PodCastle!

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 04:26:00 PM
Happy to hear another go-round for Rob in the Chaos. These two installments were just as entertaining as the first. Thanks to everyone for making it happen!

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 05:49:22 PM
What an interesting world! Rob will have to start archiving his notes soon!

norand

• Matross
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 11:01:12 AM
I really love this story, and Heath's narration brings it to life beautifully.

I particularly enjoy how this story brings a very analytical, science-fictional sort of character into this weird, fantastic setting. I love Martu and the way she finds her calling in science. And that ending, where Rob realises he's found a kindred spirit in her, really hits me.

I would love to spend more time in this world, with these characters.

Jethro's belt

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 05:29:20 PM
A fine narration and I couldn't help but wonder if Rob's attachment to the notebook was purely scientific or the anchor for his world as so many collections are.