Author Topic: CoW Ep. 251: Little Wonders 12 – The Unexpected  (Read 2404 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: June 05, 2017, 09:12:30 PM
Episode 251: Little Wonders 12 – The Unexpected

• Authors: Evan Dicken, R. G. Ziemer, Laura Pearlman
• Narrators: Graeme Dunlop, Jonathan Chaffin, Alexis Goble
• Guest Host: Katherine Inskip
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
Why They’re Never About The Good Ones is a Cast of Wonders original!
The Finder is a Cast of Wonders original!
Why I Hate Zombie Unicorns was originally published in Shimmer (Vol. 20, August 2014)
Read along with the text of Why They’re Never About The Good Ones
Read along with the text of The Finder
Read along with the text of Why I Hate Zombie Unicorns
Click here to listen to Episode 251

Why They’re Never About The Good Ones

Evan Dicken’s work has most recently appeared in Analog, Pseudopod, and The Overcast, and he has stories forthcoming from publishers such as Unlikely Story, Fantasy Scroll, and Chaosium. Follow him online.

Graeme Dunlop is a Software Solution Architect. Despite his somewhat mixed accent, he was born in Australia. He loves the spoken word and believes it has the ability to lift the printed word above and beyond cold words on a page. He and Barry J. Northern founded Cast of Wonders in 2011 and can be found narrating or hosting the occasional episode, or working on projects behind the scenes. He has read stories for all of Escape Artists podcasts. Graeme lives in Melbourne, Australia with his wife Amanda, and crazy boy dog, Jake. Follow him on Twitter.

Once upon a time, in a valley in Lower Saxony just south of Meppen town, there lived an old woman and her two grandchildren.
   Helene had been a weaver in her younger days, but over the years the damp of the fens had stolen into her joints, twisting her fingers until they grew as gnarled and useless as the roots of the scrubby trees that crowded the river bank.

The Finder

R. G. Ziemer was born on the South Side of Chicago. He has taught English, worked construction, and never stopped writing. He presently teaches composition at the College of DuPage and is working to complete a YA novel, The Ghost of Jamie McVay. His poetry has recently appeared in the journals Prairie Light Review and Rivulets.

Jonathan M. Chaffin is the designer and writer behind the Cthulhu tiki mug and other horror-themed barware collections from Horror In Clay; each object has a backstory and contributes to a narrative for the collection. He also co-owns Mug Crate, the quarterly tiki mug subscription box, has narrated and designed for Pseudopod, and frequently speaks on all things tiki, horror, crowdfunding, and pop culture at events like DragonCon and Anachrocon. He also writes horror movie reviews for The Collinsport Historical Society from time to time.

There they go scritching and scratching again, from the old Thote burrow.
It’s a secret.
It’s bad to keep a secret. I kept a secret about the bog berries, but the Takers found out. Now I have to sleep all by myself, instead of warm and snug with Fleek and the rest of the Drove.
I’m bad.
I found the bog berries all by myself. I’m a good Finder. But Finders can’t keep secret bog berries for themselves. That’s against the Law.

Why I Hate Zombie Unicorns

Laura Pearlman lives in California with two cats and no unicorns. Her stories have appeared in Shimmer, Flash Fiction Online, Daily Science Fiction, the Unidentified Funny Objects 4 anthology, and Mothership Zeta. You can follow her online and on Twitter.

Alexis Goble has been a slush reader for Cast of Wonders since the spring of 2015. She’s new to the world of audio, and you may have heard her Staff Pick episodes last January. Alexis lives in Cincinnati with her partner in a 100-year-old house. You can occasionally find her on Twitter.

The good news is, zombie unicorns almost never bite. The bad news is, even a tiny scratch from a zombie unicorn horn will turn you into a zombie. Mom discovered that by accident.
Mom was really smart. She was the first scientist to figure out that when the unicorns first showed up, some of them were already zombies, and some of those got bitten by lions or wolves or whatever, and that's how it all started.

Tags: Alexis Goble, alien invasions, Cast of Wonders, Evan Dicken, Fairy Tales, Flash Fiction, Graeme Dunlop, Jeremy Carter, Jonathan Chaffin, Laura Pearlman, Little Wonders, Monsters, mythology, R. G. Ziemer, science, secrets, the unexpected, wisdom, Young Adult fiction, zombies