Author Topic: Say Hello  (Read 37458 times)

Serenity Dee

• Extern
Reply #75 on: July 02, 2017, 05:12:05 PM

Everything that was submitted to the contest and was 500 words or under "qualified" for the contest.

Thank you. Even though the rules said the limit was 500 words, some of the posts here made me think that 500 words exactly was the requirement.

I imagine it's just shorthand. This isn't like a drabble, which is defined as exactly 100 words.

Minstrel

• Extern
Reply #76 on: July 02, 2017, 08:01:20 PM
I submitted to this contest.  Look forward to reading everyone's stories!

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Reply #77 on: July 02, 2017, 08:56:33 PM
Hello! I registered a few days ago but when I tried to login today, it said I didn't exist  :o  But now I've seen this thread so I'm wondering if perhaps I disappeared because I didn't post? Anyway, here I am! I have a story in the contest!  :D Good luck everyone!

That's it precisely! If you register, but don't post that day, the account gets purged. This is to combat bots. (Well, the ones we don't invite for Escape Pod, at least.)

I'm sure I didn't get a message or anything to warn me about this, though? If I hadn't read Ocicat's post here I would never have realised what was going on. Does it say somewhere that you have to post? Did I miss it?  :)

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

EtMirage

• Extern
Reply #78 on: July 02, 2017, 10:16:03 PM
First time submitting, look forward to reading all of them ^^

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #79 on: July 03, 2017, 01:38:37 AM

Everything that was submitted to the contest and was 500 words or under "qualified" for the contest.

Thank you. Even though the rules said the limit was 500 words, some of the posts here made me think that 500 words exactly was the requirement.

I imagine it's just shorthand. This isn't like a drabble, which is defined as exactly 100 words.

Interestingly, the shortest piece we got is exactly 100 words.  So I guess when voting starts see if you can spot the drabble!

Qynn

• Palmer
Reply #80 on: July 03, 2017, 02:26:07 AM
If you're planning on voting in the contest, you need to be a registered forum user.  To be a fully registered user, you need to make at least one post on the day you sign up (it's a spam prevention measure).  So feel free to make that post here. 

And if you're already a forum user, but plan on participating in the contest, feel free to post here too and introduce yourself.  If you're submitting a story, feel free to say so, just don't describe it.

Hello!

Good luck, folks.

GirlErrant

• Palmer
Reply #81 on: July 03, 2017, 03:00:26 AM
I got my story in, and I'm so jazzed to read all the entries.

spacebrain

• Extern
Reply #82 on: July 03, 2017, 03:28:32 AM
Hi! I also submitted to the contest and am looking forward to reading the submissions!

Cutter McKay

• Hipparch
  • "I was the turkey the whoooole time!"
    • Detention Block AA23
Reply #83 on: July 03, 2017, 01:57:35 PM
Cutter! Good to see you again too! Your critiques are always spot-on. :)

Aww, thanks Schrodingrr. You sure know how to make a guy feel welcome at home.  ;D

Cutter, how have you been?

I'm good, Ben. Busy. You know, work, school, wife 'n kids, getting ready to move, job hunting, entering a flash fiction contest that I have no time for... the usual. What's new with you?

And you're right, there are a LOT of new faces this time around, which is exciting. Anyone know if any of the other old-timers are playing along this time? Listener, FireTurtle, MCWagner, etc? (I know Varda and JKJones did not get stories ready in time, but they're moving cross-country, so it's understandable.)

-Josh Morrey-
http://joshmorreywriting.blogspot.com/
"Remember: You have not yet written your best work." -Tracy Hickman

Obleo21

• Matross
Reply #84 on: July 03, 2017, 02:38:03 PM
And you're right, there are a LOT of new faces this time around, which is exciting. Anyone know if any of the other old-timers are playing along this time? Listener, FireTurtle, MCWagner, etc? (I know Varda and JKJones did not get stories ready in time, but they're moving cross-country, so it's understandable.)

I'm back this year. I haven't entered since the first Podcastle competition in 2010 (I got third!). Too much going on during the last two. My posting rate on the forums have dropped over the years, but I'm still here  :)

keeperofimaginarybeasts

• Palmer
Reply #85 on: July 03, 2017, 03:14:35 PM
Hello writers, readers, and listeners! I love listening to the escape artists podcasts while I'm making dinner. At first I was afraid the quality of my meals would go down, being distracted and all, but it hasn't. I mean, I've burnt a few meals and my kid swears she found a half-drowned fairy and the remains of crashed spacecraft in the soup once, but she's probably just exaggerating. Kids and their crazy imaginations.

FireTurtle

• Hipparch
Reply #86 on: July 03, 2017, 06:21:13 PM
Cutter! Good to see you again too! Your critiques are always spot-on. :)

Aww, thanks Schrodingrr. You sure know how to make a guy feel welcome at home.  ;D

Cutter, how have you been?

I'm good, Ben. Busy. You know, work, school, wife 'n kids, getting ready to move, job hunting, entering a flash fiction contest that I have no time for... the usual. What's new with you?

I'm here!!! *waving madly*

Got my story in with only a few days to go. Dealing with a toddler has wrecked my usual uber-early timeline.  ;D

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin

Schrodingrr

• Matross
    • Author Site
Reply #87 on: July 03, 2017, 07:30:04 PM
Anyone know if any of the other old-timers are playing along this time?
I know Dagny has also submitted a piece, so yeah. Plenty of stiff competition this time around. Finals are gonna be brutal!  ;D

This sentence serves no purpose, so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

benjaminjb

• Hipparch
Reply #88 on: July 03, 2017, 07:43:41 PM
Ha, oh, I am not planning on making it far this time around. (I think I've made it through the first rounds most time, but my favorite part is (a) reading the stories that are so amazing and do things I never even thought you could do with flash and (b) talking about the backstories behind the stories.)

Wait, Cutter, did you have a wife and child last time you were in the mix here? Because I just recently changed my status from "committed relationship" to "married with kid" and gah! why did no one warn me about children?

Feverwood

• Hipparch
Reply #89 on: July 03, 2017, 08:41:46 PM
Hello everyone

I'm Nyssa,
I babble, I may have submitted but I'm not sure if I made a post in time.

Oh well next time.

I'm a quiet brunette from the wild roses of the dominion of Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #90 on: July 03, 2017, 08:57:37 PM
Hello everyone

I'm Nyssa,

Oh well next time.

If you submitted before the deadline, you should be in the contest.  There's no deadline on saying hi here, it's just to keep your account open so you can read and vote!

asato

• Palmer
    • goodreads/asato
Reply #91 on: July 03, 2017, 09:09:30 PM
Anyone know if any of the other old-timers are playing along this time?
I know Dagny has also submitted a piece, so yeah. Plenty of stiff competition this time around. Finals are gonna be brutal!  ;D

Cool. I'm a newbie, so it's good to know I'm up against the best and the bravest as well the largest pool of noble competitors in recent digital history. ^_^

Tech Writer by Day / Horror Writer by Night
"We don't like writing. We like having written." (Goal, Motivation, & Conflict, Debra Dixon)

Cutter McKay

• Hipparch
  • "I was the turkey the whoooole time!"
    • Detention Block AA23
Reply #92 on: July 03, 2017, 09:13:30 PM
Wait, Cutter, did you have a wife and child last time you were in the mix here? Because I just recently changed my status from "committed relationship" to "married with kid" and gah! why did no one warn me about children?

Hehe, yeah, last time I was active around here, which was about two years ago, I had two kids. Now we've got three, (the new one is eight months old), and yes, they are a handful. But they're so much fun, too. I've already instilled quite a few fandoms in them. The daughter, who is ten, loves Harry Potter, and is halfway through the series. The boy, who is six, is obsessed with Legos, Star Wars, and of course, Lego Star Wars. It's so much fun to introduce them to all the "cool" stuff.  ;)

-Josh Morrey-
http://joshmorreywriting.blogspot.com/
"Remember: You have not yet written your best work." -Tracy Hickman

prestond

• Hipparch
Reply #93 on: July 03, 2017, 09:42:03 PM
I'm in too. I submitted to this contest once before, and loved the comments. Alas, I didn't win. So excited to participate again, and happy to see some familiar names on this forum. Good luck, everyone, and let the reading begin!

Feverwood

• Hipparch
Reply #94 on: July 03, 2017, 09:58:52 PM
Hello everyone

I'm Nyssa,

Oh well next time.

If you submitted before the deadline, you should be in the contest.  There's no deadline on saying hi here, it's just to keep your account open so you can read and vote!

Oh good.

I was worried.

Thank you.

red_pineapples

• Extern
Reply #95 on: July 04, 2017, 01:07:37 AM
hello

thesamim

• Extern
Reply #96 on: July 04, 2017, 03:51:05 AM
I'm not impatient or anything, but wasn't voting supposed to have started 7/1? Did it? Am I missing something?

Asking for a friend. :)

mjarvis

• Peltast
    • Matthew J. Jarvis
Reply #97 on: July 04, 2017, 04:35:17 AM
Entered the contest and looking forward to reading the stories!

SkaldTheo

• Extern
Reply #98 on: July 04, 2017, 06:28:47 AM
Hello, all. 

Look forward to reading your work. 

aiogden

• Extern
Reply #99 on: July 04, 2017, 11:59:33 AM
Hello, world! Looking forward to reading and voting!