Escape Artists
November 21, 2017, 12:33:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FINAL ROUND of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest has begun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a new fantasy series  (Read 888 times)
Frank Evans
Lochage

« on: June 16, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »

Hi All,

I've cleared my book reading schedule for the next year and am looking to get into a new fantasy series. I'd love to hear some favourites from people. To give you an idea of what I like, I'd say my favourites have been Pat Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles, Peter V Brett's Demon Cycle and I've just finished, and enjoyed, Brent Weeks' Night Angel series. I've started the Wheel of Time series twice and twice have been unable to finish after getting about halfway through.

Thanks in advance!
danooli

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »

Have you tried the Riyra books by Michael J. Sullivan?  There are two series' actually. The Riyra Revelations and the Riyra Chronicles. Chronologically, the Chronicles comes first, but Revelations was written and published first. While it really doesn't matter which you read first, I read Revelations before Chronicles.

Here is the synopsis of Theft of Swords, the first book in Revelations:

Quote from: Amazon
"They killed the king. They pinned it on two men. They chose poorly.
There's no ancient evil to defeat or orphan destined for greatness, just unlikely heroes and classic adventure. Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, are running for their lives when they're framed for the murder of the king. Trapped in a conspiracy that goes beyond the overthrow of a tiny kingdom, their only hope is unraveling an ancient mystery before it's too late."
Not-a-Robot
Hipparch

Now 100% biological and 3 x more optimism!

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 02:39:03 PM »

Hey Frank,

It's not a series, but it's long enough as a stand alone. Have you tried Mr. Norrell and Jonathan Strange? It's one of those books that some love and others hate.

I loved it. But then again, I've read a lot of Victorian literature in my time.
SnowedInScribe
Extern

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:50:21 PM »

Ever read V.E. Schwab's Shades of Magic trilogy? It's a fun one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: