Escape Artists
December 15, 2017, 12:48:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PseudoPod 547: Escape to Thin Mountain  (Read 722 times)
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« on: June 16, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »

PseudoPod 547: Escape to Thin Mountain

by Jon Padgett.

“Escape to Thin Mountain” originally appeared in Padgett’s 2016 short story collection The Secret of Ventriloquism.

JON PADGETT is a professional—though lapsed—ventriloquist who lives in New Orleans with his spouse, their daughter, a cat and a dog. Padgett’s first short story collection, The Secret of Ventriloquism, was named the Best Fiction Book of 2016 by Rue Morgue Magazine. He has work out or forthcoming in Pseudopod, Lovecraft eZine, Xnoybis, Antenna::Signals and For Mortal Things Unsung, an anthology containing some of the best Pseudopod original stories to date. This summer, his work will appear in Joseph Pulver’s anthology, A Walk on the Weird Side, and Phantasm/Chimera, an anthology published by Plutonian Press. Later this year, Padgett will be narrating a story by Thomas Ligotti, which will be released on vinyl LP by Cadabra Records. Follow Jon on Twitter or on Facebook for further updates.

This week’s reader – Dagny Paul is a lapsed English teacher, failed artist, and sometimes writer who lives in New Orleans, Louisiana. She has an unhealthy (but entertaining) obsession with comic books and horror movies, which she consumes whenever her five-year-old son will let her (which isn’t often). Dagny is Assistant Editor of PseudoPod.

Info on Anders Manga’s album (they do our theme music!) can be found here.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Testtubewaltz
Extern

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:59:31 PM »

Sweet balls of b'aal.

First, Dagny Paul did an amazing job. The perfect narration, tone, pace, and subtly inflected work on this. Amazing- you easily doubled the impact of this story by lending your heart and effort to it.

Second, it's always a red letter day when there's a Padgett story.

I'd read the story previously, and gotten a nice image and feel in my head. Then Dagny's take on it, especially the singing bits, made it new all over again.

To look behind the curtain - is this a folk song with a known tune, or is this something cooked up from scratch? Is there feedback between narrator and author to pitch ideas and give hints (beyond those in the text) of how to read, sing, and produce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Tylor
Palmer

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 01:52:31 AM »

I just read Ligotti's short piece "Ten Steps to Thin Mountain", and I love how Padgett expands on it here. Dagny Paul's narration is perfect.
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »

I just read Ligotti's short piece "Ten Steps to Thin Mountain", and I love how Padgett expands on it here. Dagny Paul's narration is perfect.

Oh, dang, didn't realize that connection! Reading Grimscribe right now, so I'll have to jump to Noctuary right after that.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Ichneumon
Peltast

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 02:18:47 PM »

I admit, I didn't understand this one. Was Little Evie a changeling or something? Still felt pretty creepy.
Scuba Man
Peltast

Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »

I admit, I didn't understand this one. Was Little Evie a changeling or something? Still felt pretty creepy.
Nope, I couldn't figure it out either. Was it some kind of fever dream? An addict's hallucination? Definitely worth a second listen!

"What can do that to a man?  Lightning... napalm? No, some people just explode [sic]. Natural causes".  Source: Repo Man.
cwthree
Palmer

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 05:50:36 PM »

I pretty quickly decided that the voice of Little Evie was a hallucination, and that there was only one narrator, despite the speaker referring to him/herself in the plural. I'm still not sure about Little Evie herself, though - I don't think she's alive, but can't decide if she's dead, a doll, or a hallucination.
JohnCombo
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 07:50:11 PM »

This is one of those awesome stories that an anthology could be written on. I read Ten Steps to Thin Mountain and thought it was great even for how short it was. I want more but I see how the "Less is more" rule applies here.

I also developed this image of a creepy "Big Rock Candy Mountain".
canoehead
Extern

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 03:39:56 AM »

I thought the speaker was mentally ill, and dissociating.
Scuba Man
Peltast

Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 07:52:21 PM »

I thought the speaker was mentally ill, and dissociating.
Dang! Good call, eh.

"What can do that to a man?  Lightning... napalm? No, some people just explode [sic]. Natural causes".  Source: Repo Man.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: