Author Topic: CoW Ep. 241: Mr. Quacky In Space - Artemis Rising 3  (Read 2935 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: March 27, 2017, 10:31:36 PM
Episode 241: Artemis Rising 3 – Mr. Quacky in Space by Amanda Helms

• Narrated by Katherine Inskip
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Guest host Fonda Lee
A Cast of Wonders original!

Amanda Helms is an SFF writer living in her home state of Colorado. Favorite things include the perfect cup of tea, walking her dog on sunny days, and fuzzy socks on cold ones. She’s a 2014 graduate of the Viable Paradise writing workshop, and her fiction has appeared previously at Cast of Wonders. You can follow her on her website and on Twitter.

Katherine Inskip teaches astrophysics for a living and spends her (infrequent) spare time populating the universe with worlds of her own. She is a mother to two boys, and enjoys chaos, water-fights, tree-climbing, and thwarting plans for world domination. Katherine is addicted to chocolate and Japanese logic puzzles, narrates for a variety of podcasts, and wishes she’d started slush reading decades ago. You can read her blog, Trisigmatic, or follow her on Twitter.

Fonda Lee is the author of the award-winning young adult science fiction novels Zeroboxer and Exo. When she’s not writing she can be found training in martial arts or searching out tasty food in Portland, Oregon. You can learn more about her work on her website, or follow her on Twitter.

At least Mr. Quacky hadn’t maimed anyone. If Olivia went by her predecessor’s logs, it was only a matter of time.
She pulled her rabbit-ear hat over her head--
It helps you blend with the scenery, Vivian, the ship’s entertainment director, had told her--and waited for the guests to evacuate Mr. Quacky’s Splash Zone, the collection of three kiddie pools located on the Space Farm Deck. A few hobby-horse-sized mini-steamducks--the Quacklings--bobbed in the farthest pool. The wall screens played loops of a marsh featuring cartoonish, wide-eyed birds, rabbits, and deer that gamboled and giggled and, worst of all, joined wing to paw to hoof to sing songs about the power of friendship.

Click here to listen to Episode 241
Click here to read text of the story

Tags: Amanda Helms, amorphous, Artemis Rising, Artemis Rising 3, business, Cast of Wonders, demon, Fonda Lee, interstellar being, Jeremy Carter, Katherine Inskip, kiddie rides, obligation, profit, sacrifice, sentient, space station, steam-tronics, Young Adult fiction

The Artemis Rising 3 image was commissioned from Ashley Mackenzie. Ashley is an artist and illustrator based in Edmonton, Alberta. She was born in Victoria, BC and grew up between Vancouver, BC and Edmonton, AB. After studying online for a year through AAU in San Francisco, CA she moved to Toronto to pursue a degree in Illustration at OCADU. Though she loves the challenge of creating complex conceptual illustrations and finding new ways to navigate ideas visually she also enjoys making concept art and decorative illustration. When not drawing she can be found reading, playing videogames or thinking about her next project.

Illustration by Mat Weller. Artemis Rising logo designed by Scott Pond.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 07:41:58 PM
I could NOT love this story more. :) As a Viable Paradise alum, myself (VPXVI), I definitely am happy to see this Thursday story find a home at CoW.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:48:17 AM
This was such a fun story!  Fun, at times silly, and the narration brought it all together.  Kudos!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 05:01:21 PM
The world needs more creepy amusement park stories. The uncanny valley of the animatronics is ripe for more plundering.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”