Author Topic: Podcastle Flash Fiction Contest 2017 Voting Rules and Schedule  (Read 15545 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Authors are now revealed in group 1 stories not moving on to the semifinals.  Their names are added to the story titles.  After your story is revealed feel free to comment on it, explain your choices, etc...

Frank Evans

• Lochage
    • All of Algonquin
following up on my earlier comment:
The problem with having the groups revealed every other day is that it makes the off days feel like the day before the contest is about to begin
I'm finding with this schedule I'm spending a lot more time looking at the comments and rereading entries, and that's really contributing to making this my favourite contest yet. In other words, past me takes everything back.

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Does anyone else spend "story mornings" refreshing the page, waiting for the new group of stories to appear?

No? Just me then ;)

Voting fatigue, pah!

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Does anyone else spend "story mornings" refreshing the page, waiting for the new group of stories to appear?

No? Just me then ;)

I've been posting them before I go to sleep, and like most cats I tend to be nocturnal.  But I make no promises to get the groups up in the early AM pacific time.  I will try to get them up before 10am my time.  So occasionally you may have quite a wait...

astrokath

• -between the singing stars-

No? Just me then ;)

Voting fatigue, pah!

Not just you!  :D

Not the droid you're looking for.

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial

No? Just me then ;)

I've been posting them before I go to sleep, and like most cats I tend to be nocturnal.  But I make no promises to get the groups up in the early AM pacific time.  I will try to get them up before 10am my time.  So occasionally you may have quite a wait...

Oh not a criticism at all!! :D Thank you for your hard work. I'm just so excited to read the new stories each time!

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

Subtle

• Hipparch
Oh my gosh, 66 stories have been posted. There's still 130 to go!

lightshadows

• Extern
Posting so I'm real  :)

gwynnega

• Extern
Hello, everyone.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Over half the stories have now been posted!

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Over half the stories have now been posted!

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Von Ether

• Extern
I may be blind, but where are the stories posted?

shanehalbach

• Matross
  • Clockwork Lasercorn
    • shanehalbach.com
I may be blind, but where are the stories posted?

Given that was your first post, you probably weren't "real" yet. Now that you've identified yourself to the spambots, you might be able to see them.

(Them being the stories. You can't see the spambots; they only become visible when they feed.)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Three quarters of the entries have now been posted!

keeperofimaginarybeasts

• Palmer
I can't seem to find Group 14. Am I glitchy? Hope all is well with you, Ocicat.

chyskia

• Extern
I also am not seeing the new group

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
I can't seem to find Group 14. Am I glitchy? Hope all is well with you, Ocicat.

Apologies!  There was an error in how that board was set up, so you couldn't see it unless you had made at least 20 posts.  That's been corrected now, and you should be able to see Group 14 if you've made at least 1 post.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 09:06:14 AM
The first round is now over, and we have 49 stories going on to the semifinals, of the 196 original entries.  As stated, there will be five groups, and in each group you're only allowed to vote for two stories.  It's about to get real people.

The first semifinal group will be posted about 24 hours from now, with a new group posted every day after that. Semifinal groups are made randomly, with the only considerations being that each group has *roughly* equal amounts of first, second, and third place stories - and that no story is against another story from it's initial league.

At some point today, all the winning stories will vanish from their league, not to be seen again until their semifinal group is posted.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 04:02:49 PM
Oh, if you're an author still in this - right now is the small window where you can reveal to the world that you have a story in the semifinals, without any fear of revealing which semi you're in.  So go ahead and tweet that to the world or whatever!

Subtle

• Hipparch
Reply #44 on: August 12, 2017, 03:23:59 PM
Congrats to all the stories and authors that made it this far.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 08:13:13 PM
Just a note to say that I'm off eclipse hunting for a few days, so Jennifer Albert has volunteered to reveal author names as the first few semifinals close out.

Everyone who got to the semis should be very proud. I'm blown away that every single story has already gotten at least 3 votes. When you consider that this round only allows two votes per person, it really shows that every story that has gotten this far is worthy, and is someone's favorite.

astrokath

Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 09:36:12 PM
Clear skies!

Hope you have a good break.

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
Reply #47 on: August 23, 2017, 08:33:38 AM
And the Semifinals are done! Finals start tomorrow. Remaining authors, feel free to make shout outs on twitter or elsewhere.

And yes, my eclipse viewing was amazing - thanks!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:36:07 AM by Ocicat »

astrokath

Reply #48 on: August 23, 2017, 08:51:49 AM
Congrats to all the finalists, and commiserations to everyone who missed out. There were some incredibly hard choices here, and I would have loved to vote for so many more stories in each round.

shawnproctor

• Matross
Reply #49 on: August 23, 2017, 11:12:50 PM
I'm super psyched to be in the finals. I just wanted to say that I loved reading every one of the other 195 stories in the contest. You all are as amazing as late night music.