Author Topic: PC478: A Ghost Among The Mangroves  (Read 3033 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: July 11, 2017, 06:24:40 PM
PodCastle 478: A Ghost Among The Mangroves

by Naru Sundar
read by Arun Jiwa
A PodCastle Original!
Rated PG-13.

“They must have executed me while I waited in the mangrove shadows. Here, amidst the cicada trill, amidst the basso rumble of distant ships in the Trincomalee harbor. The Seiko at my feet, my brother Vasanthan’s parting gift, lies broken. Its broken hands mark my passage into this juddering, flickering, solitary awareness. I am but one ghost, with not even Vasanthan for company, no matter how much I want him to be here. But how can that be? Sri Lanka must throng with ghosts, hundreds and thousands of them, monsters and innocent both.”

Click here to read more

Naru Dames Sundar writes speculative fiction and poetry. His fiction has appeared in Lightspeed, Strange Horizons & Nature Magazine. He is a recipient of the 2016 Prix Aurora award for best poem. He lives in Northern California amid redwoods, moss and the occasional turkey. You can find him online at www.shardofstar.info or on twitter as @naru_sundar.

Arun Jiwa is a speculative fiction writer with work in The Drabblecast, Easy Street Magazine, and Tesseracts 19. He is a graduate of the Viable Paradise Writing Workshop, and currently lives in Edmonton, Alberta. You can find him online at www.arunjiwa.com and on Twitter @aruninations.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 04:28:58 AM
Um...did anyone else get just the tail end of this? I got a file 7:34 long that sounded like the end of the story. Still in the feed that way, as well...

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 06:46:27 AM
Um...did anyone else get just the tail end of this? I got a file 7:34 long that sounded like the end of the story. Still in the feed that way, as well...

The Podcastle twitter feed claimed the file was fixed in the feed this morning, and to try downloading again.  But it's not working for me either, from an iphone.  Different sources may have different results.

The link at the bottom of the post here (same as on the blog) works fine though, so you can always click it and listen right.... now.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 05:37:07 PM
OK. Tried again today and got the full 50-minute episode.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

vf-xx

• Extern
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 06:42:04 PM
Hrm. Whatever feed that podcast addict is pulling from(feedburner I think)  is still pulling the abbreviated version

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Obleo21

• Matross
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 06:04:06 PM
I listened to this story this morning on my commute to work and read the text over lunch because I was completely confused by the ending. I still am. Is Shankar dead or not? Otherwise, this story was excellent.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:39:07 AM
Yeah I had a hard time following what happened, but I know it was sad in a deep and complicated way that I appreciate.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Dwango

• Matross
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:51:11 PM
I'm a bit behind in listening, but I'm seeing the same problem with the feed.  I'm only able to download the last 8 minutes of the feed, after downloading twice.