Author Topic: PC480: All Of The Cuddles With None Of The Pain  (Read 2863 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: July 25, 2017, 07:02:38 AM
PodCastle 480: All Of The Cuddles With None Of The Pain

by J. J. Roth
read by a full cast!

Mother – Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
Company spokesperson – Jen Albert
Jenny – Dagny Paul
Pinocchio – Graeme Dunlop
Annie – Setsu Uzume
Corolle – Eleanor Wood
Huggums and Bitty – Marguerite and Al
Matt – Steven Capps
Alex – Matt Dovey

A PodCastle original!
Rated PG

What is a Reborn?
A Reborn is an artist-enhanced baby doll that looks and feels lifelike. Artists create Reborns as one-of-a-kind collectibles, often from ordinary play dolls transformed into art suitable for hands-off display — or hands-on cuddling.
While reasonably durable, Reborns are not children’s toys. Rough play may damage them.

Click here to continue reading.

J. J. Roth lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her partner, two school-aged sons, and two geriatric cats. She parents the kids and cats, practices law at a tech company, and squeezes writing into the interstices. Her work has appeared in Nature, Urban Fantasy Magazine, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, and a number of small press venues. J. J. is an associate member of the SFWA and a member of the Codex writers’ group. For more information and updates, please visit her web site at www.jjroth.net, follow her on Twitter where she is @wrothroth, or find her on Facebook where she is JJ Roth.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:49:00 PM
What a wonderful story! I was blubbing everywhere by the end! Bravo!

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

GreySkies

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 01:53:50 PM
Heartbreakingly sweet, and sweetly heartbreaking.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 03:26:22 PM
This was an interesting story. I liked it more until the parts with baby Matt. Maybe some of my cultural living-dolls-are-creepy prejudice tainted my listening experience.

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 09:06:24 AM
I'm not sure if this was a story. Not that it matters, I still enjoyed it, but the epistolary style was more a history of the main character and less of a plot. In the outro, when they said it came out of a writing class exercise, that made a lot of sense to me.

The topic of a story had a strong emotional impact on me, also (but not only) for personal reasons.

Arachnophile

• Extern
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 01:14:15 AM
Thanks, PodCastle. For the second time in the last month, you made me cry in the gym. I had to tell all my meathead friends I was listening to "Beth" so they wouldn't beat me up.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:42:06 AM
They... they kept each other alive out of love.. ;_; I loved the creative format, it was a good contrast to the deep emotion, which might have seemed excessive if the narrative structure was more conventional. 

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

hwaffle

• Lochage
    • Find me online
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 05:43:46 AM
This went to a place I was not expecting but I loved it. Love the full cast recording ;)