Author Topic: Details for Flash Fiction Contest, Artemis Rising?  (Read 5897 times)

momexmachina

• Extern
hi, I feel dumb saying this, but I cannot find the pages/posts for Pseudopod's flash fiction contest and Artemis Rising. I'm a newbie writer, almost completely unpublished, and I like to use contests and submission windows to give myself some structure (read: deadlines). Both submission windows are mentioned on the schedule page, but I haven't found further details. I feel like there must be, somewhere, a page that sets down the ground rules.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 06:47:54 PM
The flash fiction contest that is underway is for PodCastle, not PseudoPod.

And the submissions window for all four 'casts for Artemis Rising opens in September :)

momexmachina

• Extern
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 07:04:00 PM
thanks, so is this page wrong? http://pseudopod.org/2016/06/10/pseudopod-submissions-closure-schedule/

Podcastle's window for the flash fiction contest closed at the end of June, but the flash fiction contest listed on the link above says Aug 15 to Sept 15. I read this as a separate contest, likely focused on horror rather than fantasy, from podcastle's.

I had thought that Artemis Rising might have separate rules for PodCastle/PseudoPod, but you are right: this page says the window is across Escape Artists podcast: http://podcastle.org/2017/06/30/artemis-rising-4/

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:07:33 PM
thanks, so is this page wrong? http://pseudopod.org/2016/06/10/pseudopod-submissions-closure-schedule/

Yes, it's wrong. Notice the "2016" in the above URL. The dates do say 2017 in the doc, but I think it was something from last year being mistakenly carried over.  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:10:11 PM by Ocicat »

momexmachina

• Extern
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:12:54 PM
ok, thanks

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 08:30:48 PM
The information on that page is accurate and current.

Please notice the bottom line:
Edited May 2017 to update submission windows through February 2018.

PseudoPod carves out October for their flash fiction contest. We planted that flag two years ago and set it on the schedule after completing the last contest in October of 2015. All submissions need to be in approximately two weeks before we launch. All the prior contests are over in that sub-forum, so that's available to get an idea of how things run. Also, everyone should participate in the voting portion of PodCastle's Flash Fiction Contest which is running right now.

With regards to Artemis Rising, listen to the last three years of AR episodes to see what we're looking for. Also, check out this page for more general information: http://escape-artists.wikia.com/wiki/Artemis_Rising

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 09:24:17 PM
Okay sorry - I had no idea there was going to be another EA flash contest so soon!   :o

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 10:19:53 PM
Ooh! Horror flash is super hard. I tried it once. So difficult to do creepy atmosphere-creation in a few hundred words! It will be fun to read the entries...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

momexmachina

• Extern
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 03:07:55 PM
Fenrix, thanks for clarifying. Do you know if multiple submissions will be accepted or if authors may only submit one story to the flash fiction contest?

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 08:59:41 PM
Fenrix, thanks for clarifying. Do you know if multiple submissions will be accepted or if authors may only submit one story to the flash fiction contest?

This is more of a Bdoomed question since he's making the final calls. That said, odds are good that we'll go down to a single entry like the others have due to the continued growth of the submission volume.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 11:21:51 PM

What Fenrix said, one entry per person. Otherwise we'll be voting for the next three months.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

GreySkies

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 01:50:03 PM
Somewhat related:

I see that Pseudopod is currently open to subs, and that Artemis Rising is opening in Sept. If I submit to Pseudopod right now, will that count as a simultaneous submission when Sept 1 rolls around and I'm ready to submit a different piece to Artemis Rising?

Basically, if I have something already pending at one EA pod, can I still submit a different piece to the Artemis Rising contest?

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 03:14:27 PM

Somewhat related:

I see that Pseudopod is currently open to subs, and that Artemis Rising is opening in Sept. If I submit to Pseudopod right now, will that count as a simultaneous submission when Sept 1 rolls around and I'm ready to submit a different piece to Artemis Rising?

Basically, if I have something already pending at one EA pod, can I still submit a different piece to the Artemis Rising contest?

PseudoPod is currently closed. The schedule is here: http://pseudopod.org/2016/06/10/pseudopod-submissions-closure-schedule/

It's one submission at a time per submission portal. Theoretically on 9/15 you could submit a flash fiction story for the contest, one into general submissions, one for Artemis Rising - just for PseudoPod. Then you could submit three more Artemis Rising stories to the other podcasts, plus another in any submission portal that's open. However, do not submit the same story to multiple EA casts.

GreySkies

• Palmer
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 01:51:20 PM

Somewhat related:

PseudoPod is currently closed. The schedule is here: http://pseudopod.org/2016/06/10/pseudopod-submissions-closure-schedule/

It's one submission at a time per submission portal. Theoretically on 9/15 you could submit a flash fiction story for the contest, one into general submissions, one for Artemis Rising - just for PseudoPod. Then you could submit three more Artemis Rising stories to the other podcasts, plus another in any submission portal that's open. However, do not submit the same story to multiple EA casts.

Great, thanks.

FictionPhial

• Hipparch
    • The Fiction Phial
Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 06:13:22 PM
Can I ask, do pseudopod stories have to have a fantastical element? Or can they be "realistic" horror? I mean, could a pseudopod story focus on, say, the realistic horror of war?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible.  And if you failed, well, it had been impossible." -- Going Postal

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 09:40:44 PM
As our content has shown - we welcome ALL forms of horror (including some that others may think are not true "horror").