Author Topic: EP585: We All Scream  (Read 4110 times)

eytanz

on: July 29, 2017, 02:39:07 PM
EP585: We All Scream

AUTHOR: Marie Vibbert
NARRATOR: Julie Davis
HOST: Tina Connolly

---

We weren’t, any of us, heroes. Aiden was a downright chicken. I’m allowed to say that; I love him. My husband doesn’t have to live up to your expectations of masculinity. I’ll beat the crap out of anyone who says otherwise. Me? I don’t stick my neck out. I mind my own business, which is selling ice cream and looking after the twins. That’s Aiden’s business, too. We take turns driving the truck and keeping the kids from falling out of it.

It was Aiden driving that particular day. I was counting the money and finding that we’d gotten short-changed about the price of a dream bar at the playground stop – always happens when there’s a large crowd. Little scammers.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 01:18:12 AM
I think Tina Connolly's closing thoughts hit the nail on the head for this one!

Varsha

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 04:27:14 PM
Ice cream loving, chameleon-shaped Godzilla? A little strange, but OK.
I like that the story was told from the perspective of a person just minding her business, and the bad thing happening was just a background.

Narration was Good.

Constance

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 04:53:55 AM
This felt more like fantasy than sci-fi, but as a lover of both I didn't mind. The idea of a purple Godzilla chameleon is delightfully whimsical and the main character is hilarious. The narration choice for this is pitch perfect too. I wouldn't have imagined that accent if I had read the text on my own, but the more I think about it the more it punctuates certain phrases ("I'll be the crap out of anyone who says otherwise," "Molly raised her head with the air of a saint"). But my favorite part was the feminist theme throughout and then right at the end the protagonist (I don't think we learn her name?) discovers her husband is getting all the credit for saving the day. Ice cold realism right there.

acpracht

• EA Staff
Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 01:04:55 AM
The narration choice for this is pitch perfect too. I wouldn't have imagined that accent if I had read the text on my own, but the more I think about it the more it punctuates certain phrases ("I'll be the crap out of anyone who says otherwise," "Molly raised her head with the air of a saint").

My favorite bit was the matter-of-fact, "Aiden was a downright chicken. I’m allowed to say that; I love him."

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 02:30:30 PM
The narrative voice in this one was excellent, and the story was a lot of fun.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:46:01 AM
Very early in the set up of this story, I could tell where it was going. But that didn't matter, I enjoyed the story anyway. Totally fun and casual at the same time.

Oh, and of course the monster would like ice cream. Who doesn't!! (It's my favourite dessert).