Author Topic: CoW Ep. 258: Victory Music  (Read 2509 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: July 31, 2017, 10:03:15 PM
Episode 258: Victory Music by Daniel Jose Older

• Narrated by Nadia Niaz
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
• Originally published in Pank Magazine (2013)
Read along with the text of the story.
Click here to listen to Episode 258

Daniel José Older is the New York Times bestselling author of the Young Adult series the Shadowshaper Cypher (Scholastic), the Bone Street Rumba urban fantasy series (Penguin), and the upcoming Middle Grade sci-fi adventure Flood City (Scholastic). He won the International Latino Book Award and has been nominated for the Kirkus Prize, the Mythopoeic Award, the Locus Award, the Andre Norton Award, and the World Fantasy Award. Shadowshaper was named one of Esquire’s 80 Books Every Person Should Read. You can find his thoughts on writing, read dispatches from his decade-long career as an NYC paramedic and hear his music at his website, on Youtube and on Twitter.

Nadia Niaz is a writer, academic, creative writing teacher, language nerd and editor who is mostly from Melbourne but still a little bit from lots of other places. When she’s not working with words, she’s usually dancing. Follow her online and on Twitter.

One of my favorite moments ever was when the boy called me an Arab and you said, “She’s Sikh, fucknut” and then when he said “Oh, like hide and go-“ you broke his nose. I heard music playing, I swear to God, and it was victory music, your music: A dusty, unflinching beat, lowdown and grinding. It didn’t matter that my family’s not even technically Sikh anymore since my parents went born-again and I’m just whatever. I smiled for days after that moment, Krys. Days.

But so much has happened since then, so much gone wrong.

Tags:  Cast of Wonders, choices, Daniel José Older, family, freedom, gender, Jeremy Carter, loss, love, Nadia Niaz, nature, tradition, transgender, Young Adult fiction

Mermaid UK: http://www.mermaidsuk.org.uk
The Trevor Project: http://www.thetrevorproject.org/

Sandra M. Odell

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 03:56:15 AM
A powerful story delivered with compassion, curiosity, and hope.  Mr. Older writes Wendy in a way that does not insult her gender identity or her difficulty with her family.  I am glad she did not choose to become invisible.