Author Topic: Wiki Tipi (if you're looking for something to do)  (Read 4378 times)

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
on: January 24, 2018, 02:35:26 PM
Setsu recently asked me "What kinds of things could we do to help with the wiki?" and I gave them one or two things off the top of my head. But, if you're looking for small, easy things to do, here's a short list - and don't worry: YOU CAN'T DO IT WRONG!

Or at least, if you do, it's all revertable.

So:

1. Categorize things. Any page you go to (pick an author or narrator page, because they're small) will have some links along the bottom that say "Categories: Author, SFWA Grand Master" and such like. If you click on the link "Categories" it will take you to a list of all of the categories we are currently using.

An easy way to start categorizing: click on the "Flash Fiction Contest winners" category. As of this writing, only Ben Hallert's page is categorized. Each category should have a sentence or two explaining what the category is for; this one has a link to the "Flash Fiction Contest" page, which I've also not had time to update - but each author page linked from that one needs to be added to the "Flash Fiction Contest winners" category.

When you're looking at any page, you should see "Add Category" at the end of the list of categories. Click that, and you should be able to figure out what to do from there!

Once you're comfortable adding categories, you could go on a "bug hunt" to find pages that need to be added to existing categories, or you could create a Category page and add other pages to it. (I don't think we have an "Award Winners" category, or a "First-time Authors" category.)

2. Weekly Updates. The thing I spend most of my wiki time on is going in every week and adding links to the new stories, authors, and narrators to each show's Episode List (you can find those lists in a menu near the top of any page).

I won't be sad if someone tries to beat me to that task each week! I won't bore you with the step-by-step instructions here, but don't be shy about clicking the "Edit" button on the Episode Lists, and figuring out how to make changes. (Hint: if you are in Edit mode, and click in the table, you should see an arrow menu appear that lets you add columns or rows.)

Again, YOU CAN'T WRECK ANYTHING. If you think you broke the table, let me know (tcallin@escapeartists.net) and I'll come help as soon as I can.

3. Red Links. When I have time, and I'm caught up on weekly updates, I scroll down through the Episode Lists looking for red links. These are links to pages that don't have any content, yet. You can sometimes find a bio for the author and narrator by opening the link to the related story, or (if not) listening to the story intro.

If you're making a new page, feel free to save and preview frequently to make sure it looks the way you want it to look.

Tip: once you've created a person's page, and added a bio, you can track down the links to all of the stories they've done on Escape Artists by clicking the "What Links Here" link at the bottom of their page. If they appeared in one of our shows, they should have a red link in that show's Episode List. The Episode Lists all have sortable columns, so you can see their stories all at once.

If you go in and start playing around (or as Mr. Dovey says, "faffing about") I'll see your work show up in the activity log. If I see anything "wrong" I'll help out - but mostly, I'll just be grateful. :)

I'm a big fan of faffing about.

I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. - Kurt Vonnegut

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!