Author Topic: Where do you get your fantasy short fiction?  (Read 19098 times)

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
on: September 13, 2007, 04:12:55 AM
What magazines or anthologies do you read to get a fantasy short fiction fix?

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 12:59:33 PM

I used to get the annual Year's Best F/H Anthology edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, but I found I was finding fewer and fewer of the kinds of stories I liked, and the ones I really loved were more and more unlikely to be found in the anthologies.

Now I look for recommendations on the websites I read... like this one, and Boing Boing, and so on.  Social networking, really.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
  • ...depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 02:44:57 PM
I used to get the annual Year's Best F/H Anthology edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, but I found I was finding fewer and fewer of the kinds of stories I liked, and the ones I really loved were more and more unlikely to be found in the anthologies.

I'll ditto the declining interest in the Datlow/Windling anthology.  The last one I read (eighteenth volume, so I'm two revs behind apparently) was chock full of mediocrity.  This was especially disappointing because I was hopeful that the addition of Grant and Link to the editorial mix would make the anthology full of awesome.  Of course, it did have that amazing story by Margo Lanagan "Singing my Sister Down," which was mind-blowingly good and beautiful to boot, but otherwise it was meh.  There were even stories in there that made me want to stab out my eyes and never read again, which is what I hope to avoid by gravitating to year's bests instead of standard magazines.  I read the McSweeney's that are fantasy and/or horror oriented.  Also the YA ones.  I was generally happy with the first Flights anthology a few years back (is there another one of those?), specifically by my discovery of Nina Kiriki Hoffman there, and I later read a couple of her YA novels based on the strength of her story.

I read Strange Horizons when I have time and/or someone points me to a specific story, and I have never yet been disappointed there, though not all their offerings are fantasy.  I loved the now defunct Lenox Ave magazine and Fortean Bureau as well. 

I seek out author collections after I enjoy a few of their stories or novels (Gaiman, VanderMeer - I heart Ambergris!, Link as examples). 

I have a subscription to Weird Tales, and there's always at least one thing in every issue that pleases beyond expectations. I occasionally purchase Fantasy magazine off the rack, though sometimes it has stories in it I feel are painfully bad (hence no subscription). 

I do read stories on recommendations of people/blogs whom I know to have tastes aligned with mine or when authors whose blogs I follow post that they have new stories up in online venues.  I also try to read award nominees, but sometimes that burns me, like slogging through that awful Friesner story "Helen Remembers the Stork Club” that was Nebula nominated (which wakela and I have already complained at length about in another thread).

Right now I'm reading Strahan's The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, and I'm about halfway through, and I'm pleased with it, and if there's another volume I will read it.  I totally need to get off my ass and read Jeffrey Ford's "The Empire of Ice Cream".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 02:52:13 PM by Anarkey »

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 04:21:26 PM
I seek out author collections after I enjoy a few of their stories or novels (Gaiman, VanderMeer - I heart Ambergris!, Link as examples). 

VanderMeer?  Really?  I got the most recent Ambergris book on the strength of its blurb from China Mieville, one of my favorite authors right now, but didn't like it and couldn't really get into it.  It didn't have the right mix of magic, technology, steampunk, and phantasmagoria to tip the scales for me, if I'm reading a book like that.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 04:32:58 PM
Mostly, I read stuff on recommendations by people.  If I hear an author I like has a new story out somewhere, I'll investigate and check it out.  And if there's an author I really dig (China Mieville, Neil Gaiman), I'll definitely I check Strange Horizons most weeks but don't always read the stories.  I pick up other magazines occasionally (F&SF and Realms) and sometimes a Year's Best Collection.

Honestly, (and I've said this before) I've really enjoyed the variety and exposure Escape Pod and Pseudopod have.  They've introduced me to a lot of writers I hadn't heard of before, and usually I'll check the authors out and see if they have any other stuff out that's easily accessible. 

So I guess the easy answer to your question is: you ;)

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 05:48:27 PM
VanderMeer?  Really?  I got the most recent Ambergris book on the strength of its blurb from China Mieville, one of my favorite authors right now, but didn't like it and couldn't really get into it.  It didn't have the right mix of magic, technology, steampunk, and phantasmagoria to tip the scales for me, if I'm reading a book like that.

Would that be Shriek:An Afterword?  I had a lot of trouble reading that, actually, and I spent a lot of time in the first half going, "Do I like this?  Do I?  I'm not sure.  I don't hate it, but..."  It ultimately rewarded my perseverance (he nails the ending).  It's not my favorite work of his, but I did like it, and it pushed my brain around but good (looking back I see I wrote two, long blog entries about it).  If you just want to dip a toe into VanderMeer, I would recommend the collection of stories "Secret Life".  You can also read his collaboration with sometime Escape Pod flash contestant Cat Rambo "A Surgeon's Tale", which is spooky and enjoyable.  I think you'll be pleased with the level of phantasmagoria in that one.

I like about the world of Ambergris that there's no magic in the conventional sense just a sort of biological weirdness.  I also like that it's not in the vein of traditional steampunk (though I got no beef with steampunk).  I like the density and clarity of VanderMeer's writing and the extensive resonances.  He lives in the stack of writers I think may be geniuses in my mental card catalogue, and for that reason I often read him thinking I'm just not quite smart enough to get what he's doing, which may mean he gets a greater benefit of the doubt when I'm reading him than someone else would.

Sorry for the derail, palimpsest.  Now back to your scheduled fantasy market haunts.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 10:29:43 AM by Russell Nash »

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 06:17:57 PM
So I guess the easy answer to your question is: you ;)

Yeah.  I know that's not very helpful, but, honestly, EP has the best hit to miss ratio of any magazine I know of.  From the average publication, I expect about one decent story for every three crappy ones, but I'd say EP's ratio is at least 50/50, with genuine gems coming out about once a month.

Actually, most of the short fiction I currently digest comes either from Escape Artists or from podcasts I heard about through Escape Artists (Drabblecast, The Great Beyond, Beautiful Red, Cthulhu, podiobooks.com).  You guys are influential.  Rock on(!).

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 06:19:04 PM
Derail? That was perfectly rocking.

Do you still like Weird Tales now that it's switched editors? (also can I shamelessly self-promote & say I've got stories coming out with them & with Fantasy?)

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 07:01:06 PM
Derail? That was perfectly rocking.

Why thank you.  I was pretty sure a bunch of random burbling about the awesomeness of Jeff VanderMeer wasn't what you had in mind when you started the thread, though.   :)

BTW, is "A Surgeon's Tale" out of scope for PodCastle?  I'm wondering if it's too long.

Do you still like Weird Tales now that it's switched editors? (also can I shamelessly self-promote & say I've got stories coming out with them & with Fantasy?)

So far so good on Weird Tales, but it's my understanding that (much like PodCastle) we're not seeing the full influence of the editorial changes just yet, because they're still putting out what had been previously bought and contracted.  And yay for a print story coming to my house by palimpsest.  Rock.  And maybe you could peep when Fantasy puts out your story and I'll buy that issue. 

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 07:07:05 PM
"BTW, is "A Surgeon's Tale" out of scope for PodCastle?  I'm wondering if it's too long."

It is indeed too long, but as it happens, we've anticipated your affection for that story and have already got one Cat Rambo story in our holding pen. ;-) I should bug Jeff Vandermeer for submissions, too.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 07:08:22 PM
Actually, most of the short fiction I currently digest comes either from Escape Artists or from podcasts I heard about through Escape Artists (Drabblecast, The Great Beyond, Beautiful Red, Cthulhu, podiobooks.com).  You guys are influential.  Rock on(!).

It's really cool to hear about the podcasts being at the junction between the podcast world and the specfic world.

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 07:24:33 PM

Would that be Shriek:An Afterword?  I had a lot of trouble reading that, actually, and I spent a lot of time in the first half going, "Do I like this?  Do I?  I'm not sure.  I don't hate it, but..."  It ultimately rewarded my perseverance (he nails the ending).  It's not my favorite work of his, but I did like it, and it pushed my brain around but good (looking back I see I wrote two, long blog entries about it).  If you just want to dip a toe into VanderMeer, I would recommend the collection of stories "Secret Life".  You can also read his collaboration with sometime Escape Pod flash contestant Cat Rambo "A Surgeon's Tale", which is spooky and enjoyable.  I think you'll be pleased with the level of phantasmagoria in that one.

No, not that one... I guess there was another one before that.  The one where the whole middle part is sort of a historical textbook.  (Found it:  City of Saints and Madmen)  I just didn't care for it.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 08:42:03 PM
Coming to the party late, as I am, I have to say a random historical textbook in the middle of a fantasy novel sounds brilliant.  As a total newbie, is there any Vandermeer book you'd recommend starting with?

Anarkey

• Meen Pie
  • Hipparch
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 06:52:05 PM
Coming to the party late, as I am, I have to say a random historical textbook in the middle of a fantasy novel sounds brilliant.  As a total newbie, is there any Vandermeer book you'd recommend starting with?

Hi Alasdair.  I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you hanging on your question of which VanderMeer to start with.  I'm always happy to break out the recommendations.  I would start with short stories, unless you're completely determined to start with novels. "The Cage" was the first VanderMeer short story I ever read and it is still one of my very favorites.  I'd also heartily recommend (again) his collaborative tale with Cat Rambo "A Surgeon's Tale" .

Do come back and tell me what you think of him.   

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 08:06:11 PM

I will be getting all my short fantasy from PodCastle.  Please provide a fair representation of an entire genre. ;)

Seriously, other than the occasional borderline fantasy story that makes it into SF anthologies, I don't usually read any.

Roland

• Extern
    • StarShipSofa
Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 08:43:28 AM
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread.

I subscribe to the free weekly Hub Magazine
Every week your receive a newsletter containing  one short story, one review and a feature. There have already been some very good stories and hopefully it will continue this trend.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 05:34:16 PM

Every week your receive a newsletter containing  one short story, one review and a feature. There have already been some very good stories and hopefully it will continue this trend.

I've heard they have good taste in fiction over there :)

Did you know Alasdair Stuart, who is a co-editor/host of Pseudopod is the non-fiction/reviews editor over at Hub?

Roland

• Extern
    • StarShipSofa
Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 06:00:01 PM

Did you know Alasdair Stuart, who is a co-editor/host of Pseudopod is the non-fiction/reviews editor over at Hub?

No, I did not know that.
But that might have something to do with the fact *whispers* I rarely listen to Pseudopod :-[
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 06:02:08 PM by Roland »

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 06:13:54 PM

No, I did not know that.
But that might have something to do with the fact *whispers* I rarely listen to Pseudopod :-[

Hrm.  To quote Vampire in the Ant King: "You poor BASTARD!" ;)

Roland

• Extern
    • StarShipSofa
Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 07:53:25 PM
D'oh, I just noticed your signature. :-[
Congratulations.
I really enjoyed your story, even if it did make me sad, but in a "Edward Bear" good way.
Thankyou for a very well written and original tale.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 09:34:32 PM
D'oh, I just noticed your signature. :-[
Congratulations.
I really enjoyed your story, even if it did make me sad, but in a "Edward Bear" good way.
Thankyou for a very well written and original tale.

Thanks, man. I have to throw it in whenever I can. ;) And I'll definitely take that as a compliment. 

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 09:51:43 PM

No, I did not know that.

I listen even less often than you do.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 09:59:53 PM
I'm just curious -- is it because you guys don't like horror or because you don't like Pseudopod?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 10:13:18 PM
I'm just curious -- is it because you guys don't like horror or because you don't like Pseudopod?

Couldn't pass judgment on Pseudopod since I have never listened. 

I don't usually seek out horror -- though I'm not opposed to it ... have listened to Sigler's Ancestor and have read most Stephen King, and a fair bit of Koontz.  And sometimes I'll watch a film in the horror genre (most recently The Host and Severance).  But I don't make it a regular part of my "diet", so I've never been inclined to try Pseudopod.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Opabinia

• Palmer
Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 10:47:18 PM
I've been intrigued with speculative nonfiction (nonfiction works created by people in a spec world) ever since I read House of Leaves, by Mark Danielewski. I thought Shriek: an Afterword was fabulous in that regard. It's the only VanderMeer book I've read so far, and I'd love to read more works in that vein. The fact that there's a history text in the middle of Saints and Madmen makes me want to read it more!

Has anyone else read cool spec nonfic that they'd recommend?

Roland

• Extern
    • StarShipSofa
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 06:49:27 AM
For me it is that I am not really into horror stories as much as I used to be.
Also I struggle to find time for my existing podcasts and books, with out adding anymore. :)

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 11:23:41 AM

Hi Roland:)

Glad you're enjoying Hub:)  It's immense fun to do and hopefully, that comes across.

Roland

• Extern
    • StarShipSofa
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 12:02:40 PM

Hi Roland:)

Glad you're enjoying Hub:)  It's immense fun to do and hopefully, that comes across.
Yes it does. The mix of stories is just right and I really like indepth features like this weeks on Jon Pertwees time as The Doctor.
I have posted about Hub on the StarShipSofa forums, as I love that postcast and think that the listeners would appreciate it.
It is just a shame you are wrong about Catherine Tate ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 12:05:58 PM by Roland »

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 04:43:39 AM
I get my fixes anywhere and everywhere I can grab them. I pick up anthologies, magazines (especially the older ones), as many podcasts as I can find. I especially love finding good condition old analog style magazines. I've found many a Spider Robinsons story, or auther I'd forgotten about, or never heard of in these little wonders. I grew up on the short story magazine format- and will always love it. Prolly why I adore escape artists so.

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

CoachPaul

• Extern
Reply #29 on: October 26, 2008, 03:18:41 AM
Mostly from my collection of over 600 SF/F/H anthologies/Collections/Magazines. About 90% of which were written before 1990.