Author Topic: CoW Ep. 259 Seer's Salad  (Read 2672 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: August 20, 2017, 12:59:53 PM
Episode 259: Seer’s Salad by Barbara A. Barnett

• Narrated by Jen Albert
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!
Read along with the text of the story
Click here to listen to Episode 259

Barbara A. Barnett is a writer, musician, orchestra librarian, Odyssey Writing Workshop graduate, coffee addict, wine lover, and all-around geek. Her short fiction has appeared in publications such as Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet, Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show, Daily Science Fiction, and Flash Fiction Online. Barbara lurks about the Philadelphia area, where she lives with her husband and a pantsless stuffed monkey named Super Great. You can follow her online or on Twitter.

Jen Albert is an entomologist, writer, editor, narrator, game-player, cosplayer, streamer, reader of All The Things, and haver of far too many hobbies. Jen somehow became co-editor of her favorite fantasy fiction magazine and podcast; she now wonders if she’s still allowed to call it her favorite. She lives in Toronto with her husband and her very large, very hairy German Shepherd. Follow her online and on Twitter.

There would be no snatching my laptop back from Diya. She slapped my hand every time I reached across the café table for it. I had been a keystroke away from deleting the amateur-hour comic panels cluttering up my hard drive--months of wasted effort that Diya was now inexplicably determined to keep reading. Her gaze remained glued to the screen as she shoveled forkfuls of salad from bowl to mouth.

"Tam, these are awesome," she said, voice pitched at a chirpy, bird-like frequency. "It's like George Romero meets Dostoyevsky meets Thelma and Louise meets an alien invasion flick."

Tags: Barbara A. Barnett, Cast of Wonders, Fantasy, fiction, food, friendship, Jen Albert, Jeremy Carter, magic, manic pixie dream girl, modern fantasy Internet Archive: podcast, psychometry, speculative fiction, trust, Young Adult fiction

geraldwarfield

• Extern
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 05:30:28 PM
Hi Barbara.  Seer's Salad is great!  I remember it from TNEO.  Looking forward to seeing more of your stories published!  Two immediately come to mind!  LOL!

Constance

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 05:45:18 AM
I really enjoyed the twist of psychic visions only through salad. It was a fun and simple story, which I mean in the best way. The only downside is I'm now itching for a prequel all about Diya and her family history with this gift. There has got to be a ton of fun stuff to explore there.