Author Topic: PC484: Flash Fiction Extravaganza! Seasons  (Read 1854 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: August 23, 2017, 11:37:28 PM
PodCastle 484: Flash Fiction Extravaganza! Seasons

“In Spring, the Dawn. In Summer, the Night.” by Aidan Doyle.

Read by Nina Brady.

It always seems to me that people who hate me must be suffering from some strange form of lunacy. – Sei Shōnagon, The Pillow Book, Circa1000 C.E.

On the third day of the third month, the good people of court traveled by ox-drawn carriage from the Imperial Palace to the Divine Spring Garden, the carriage boys running ahead to ensure the common people didn’t block our way. The colored sleeves of so many elegant ladies showing through the curtains must have been a wondrous sight as the carriages rattled past.

Click here to continue reading.

“Autumn Jewels” by Shveta Thakrar.

Read by Ramakrishnan M.

On the third of the nine nights of Navratri, the celebration honoring goddess Durga, a call slight as spider silk murmured through the temple. Most revelers heard nothing, but four-year-old Bhavna eluded her mother’s watchful eye long enough to sneak out of the saturated colors and lively music of garba, past a wild pumpkin patch, and into the night-shrouded woods beyond.

“Winter Witch” by Matt Dovey.

Read by Julie Hoverson.

I feel their grief moving through the forest. It is like a buried splinter tugging at my skin, working its way further inside. In part this is my deep intimacy with these woods, nurtured through all my thirty years, and in part it is the soft sound of their sobbing, carried through still air that is thick with pine and decay and more.

Rated PG-13.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

shawnproctor

• Matross
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 07:17:59 PM
“In Spring, the Dawn. In Summer, the Night” is a great example of how fantasy can take readers to far off places and invest them quickly in conflicts that speak directly to our world. A beautiful story, beautifully read.

shawnproctor

• Matross
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:32:54 PM
This is one of my favorite Matt Dovey stories. It's haunting and resonant.