Author Topic: EP591: A House of Her Own  (Read 4023 times)

eytanz

on: September 10, 2017, 03:11:00 AM
EP591: A House of Her Own

AUTHOR: B. Balder
NARRATOR: Amy H. Sturgis
HOST: Mur Lafferty

---

Aoife was only eleven when she caught the little house in the forest. She surprised it as it drank from a puddle, half-hidden under a writhing tree root as large as her own body. Fast as an eel, she snaked her hand around it and held on tight. It was no bigger than a strawberry, all soft and furry and yellow. Even in the gloom of the giant, bad-tempered trees, it shone like a candle flame.

“House,” she whispered, “you’re mine now.”

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

SemaphoreRaven

• Extern
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 02:30:18 AM
I loved that the in-story plural of house was hice.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 08:23:10 PM
Yes, the "hice" was right up my alley. ;)

I often comment about how I enjoy stories about aliens that explore truly alien origins; this story felt like it came from the other direction. I wasn't even sure until about halfway through whether these people were supposed to be human.

But, oh, the pain of trying to make someone stop "helping" you when you aren't asking for it!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 09:39:49 PM
I enjoy stories where females run the world, not because I hate men, but just because it's refreshing.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 04:10:18 PM
If Jane Austen wrote this it could have been called Arrogance and Ignorance.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:08:57 PM
I very much enjoyed the telling of this story. It was a great commentary on colonialism and how patronizing it is. The end, though, was a bit too harsh for me, as I didn't feel that the Earth people were clearly shown to be beyond redemption and re-education.

esanderson

• Extern
Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 04:18:25 PM
I actually liked the harshness of that ending, while I'm sorry it was a child who had to take that action. I think we'd have a much better world these days if the indigenous peoples just immediately murdered the first small group of invading, arrogant, white, male, European colonists instead of, like, teaching them to grow corn.

(Or maybe I'm really cynical and having a reaction to things in the news.)