Author Topic: PseudoPod 559: Granite Requires  (Read 4456 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: September 11, 2017, 03:27:50 AM
PseudoPod 559: Granite Requires

by T.J. Berry.

T.J. BERRY has held various jobs, including political blogger, bakery owner, and a disastrous two weeks in a razor blade factory. She now writes science fiction, fantasy, and horror from the outskirts of Seattle with considerably fewer on-the-job injuries. She is a 2016 graduate of the Clarion West writing workshop. Her fiction has appeared in Clowns: The Unlikely Coulrophobia Remix and at PodCastle. You can find her on Twitter @TJaneBerry.

Says Berry: “There’s a saying that Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backward and in high heels. Granite Requires is for all the women who navigate the horrors of the world with gravel-filled flip flops and a baby on their hip.”

This week’s reader – Laura Hobbs works in infosec by day and is a random crafter by night. Twitter is her social media of choice, and she despises the word “cyber”. When asked nicely, she sometimes reads things for people on the internet. You can find her online at soapturtle.net

Thanks to our sponsor, ARCHIVOS – a Story Mapping and Development Tool for writers, gamers, and storytellers of all kinds!

Info on Anders Manga’s album (they do our theme music!) can be found here.

Schist requires an ear, so Kaidence probably won’t swap for an eye, but I’ll kick myself if I don’t ask. A missing ear is easy to work with, just grow your girl’s hair long to cover it up. And since they only slice off the outside part, not the guts inside, schist people hear just as well as anybody else. You always find a way to work around the pieces they take off you.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Chicken Ghost

• Matross
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:33:45 AM
Is this a metaphor for workplace injuries in mining towns?

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 02:43:45 AM
Think bigger!

Atom

• Extern
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 06:39:28 AM
  :D Birthstones?

shawnproctor

• Matross
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 02:17:47 PM
Dayyyyyyymn. Really cool. Love the fantasy world and could see it being a novel. Wasn't particularly terrifying, but super dark and riveting.

GreySkies

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 03:34:53 PM
Loved the worldbuilding, loved the concept. Would totally read a novel of this.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 04:49:16 PM
I had forgotten that "Bill Cosby Father of the Year" bit until I relistened. The malapropisms were delightful.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Gray

• Palmer
Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 06:27:24 PM
It's certainly great but there's so much going on that it needs to be about Under the Dome length rather than 20-something minutes

Danbell

• Extern
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 07:07:32 PM
I've been listening to Pseudopod for years and this is one of my all time favorites. I'm fascinated at how a pretty 'out-there' concept can come across so menacingly and it a testament to the author that they somehow turned rocks in to such convincing monsters.

Great story.

Dan

canoehead

• Extern
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 08:43:23 AM
Freaky. Imagine rocks becoming sentient, and getting their revenge. WTH are they doing with all their fleshy trophies? Are they building their own human pets?

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:04:57 PM
The backdrop for the story was so strange and mysterious, but the characters were very human. I was riveted.