Author Topic: PseudoPod 563: Flash On The Borderlands XXXIX: Teratology  (Read 3819 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
PseudoPod 563: Flash On The Borderlands XXXIX: Teratology

Kiss, Don’t Tell by Cassandra Khaw

This story is a reprint

Cassandra Khaw is the business developer for Singaporean video games publisher Ysbryd Games. She also writes for Ars Technica UK whenever possible. When not doing either of those things, she practices muay thai, tries to find time to dance, and reads voraciously. She also writes a variety of fiction, and has a novella entitled Rupert Wong, Cannibal Chef out with Abaddon Books.

Your narrator – Mae Zarris-Heaney is originally from Manila, Philippines and currently lives in Melbourne, Australia where she met her better Irish half. She is an IT professional who once briefly dabbled in theater, loves extreme sports like running after her two young kids and rescuing cakes from burning in the oven. Her blog celticpinaymom.blogspot.com needs updating, but she’s busy telling the laundry to fold itself.

Shed Skin by Getty Hesse

This is a PseudoPod Original. This story is the culmination of Getty’s attempts to adequately explore the experience of depression.

Getty Hesse is an alum of the Alpha Writer’s Workshop and has been previously published in Daily Science Fiction. He wrote this story as a high school senior.

Your narrator – Maui Threv was born in the swamps of south Georgia where he was orphaned as a child by a pack of wild dawgs. He was adopted by a family of gators who named him Maui Threv which in their language means mechanical frog music. He was taught the ways of swamp music and the moog synthesizer by a razorback and a panther. His own music has been featured over in episodes of Pseudopod. He provided music for the second episode ever released across the PseudoPod feed: Waiting up for Father. He also is responsible for the outro music for the Lavie Tidhar story Set Down This. He has expanded his sonic territory across all 100,000 watts of WREK in Atlanta where you can listen to the Mobius every Wednesday night. It is available to stream via the internet as well, and Threv never stops in the middle of a hoedown, particularly when mixing Throbbing Gristle and Brian Eno.

The Corpse Child by Chris Kuriata

This story was originally published in Urban Fantasy Magazine on August 25, 2015.

Chris Kuriata lives in St. Catharines, Ontario. His short fiction about home-invading bears, whale-hunting clowns, and singing fish have appeared in many fine publications. Her blog at www.chriskuriata.wordpress.com.

Your narrator – John Bell creator and performer on the comedy podcast, Bell’s in the Batfry, award-winning radio commercial writer/producer, and occasional audio book narrator.

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 01:05:36 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:21:03 PM
Re: Kiss, Don’t Tell. Dammit... I’m acting like an armchair audio critic. Unfortunately, I found the recording quality (or effect?) distracting. It had an echo and sounded somewhat distorted (buzzing when the narrator’s voice made an upswing). It was a turnoff (and I ended up skipping the story). I regret that decision. I’ll try messing around with audio settings & try enjoying it again!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 02:28:03 PM by Scuba Man »

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Acth99

• Extern
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:22:31 AM
YAAAAYYYY!! THE HALLOWEEN PARADE! My favorite time of Psuedopod!!!

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:56:01 PM
Kiss: I didn’t get what happened in this one, but I loved the narrator’s style

Skin: this one was terrific, I’ve never been envious of a skinless writhing hive-mind before. It reminded me of some of Max’s Unsettling Stories.

Corpse: also great, I loved how it was pointed out that the parents needed a healthy child and Indeed they got one, no matter on which side of the bed the child originated.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 11:18:05 PM
The first story I didn't understand; I think it was about a jilted monster lover?
Second one was pretty icky. It is interesting when the viewpoint of the characters is so different from a normal human's.
I liked the third one, I agree that both children were victims.