Author Topic: IPUs, Religion, Science, and all that Jazz  (Read 45916 times)

ajames

• Lochage
on: September 15, 2007, 09:24:37 AM
like how many are there, where are they, are they beneficial? and how can they be pink if they are invisible?

"Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them."
 - Steve Eley, circa 1995

I had a whole manifesto written up at one point, but the exact text has been lost to history and pre-Web Telnet-based BBS systems.  I remember there was a model of the expanding universe based on raisin bread.  I remember that IPUs were responsible for stealing your socks. 

I remember writing that mosquitoes don't actuallly bite people; rather, they flock around IPUs the way horseflies flock around horses.  The raised, itchy welt is the Invisible Pink Unicorn poking you with its horn for your sins.  Since you can't see the IPU, you blame the mosquito instead.

I also remember not wanting to be the High Priest.  HPs are figureheads, and the first against the all when the revolution comes.  I was Chief Advocate and Spokesguy instead, meaning I got to make up cool manifestos and nobody blamed me for what happened.

A friend of mine started the first schism by founding the Cult of the Very Stealthy Maroon Pegasi.  His branch didn't get very far, however.  How could it?  Maroon pegasi are ridiculous.

Steve made some comments about Religion, Science, and Invisible Pink Unicorns in the intro to the "Neils Bohr and the Sleeping Dane" episode.  There's a lot that has and could be said on religion and science, and anyone interested in doing so, please do.  I included Steve's words about IPUs to start it off.

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 07:05:51 AM
I think spinning off this arguement was a little premature, but whatever. 

The "conflict" between science and religion isn't about whether there is a god or which god it is.  It's about when people say a certain scientific conclusion can't be true because it contradicts the Bible or some belief.

The ultimate example is evolution.  Every new scientific discovery and technological advance that has been aimed at evolution has only proved to make it stronger.  You don't hear anyone saying DNA sequencing is wrong because it contradicts evolution.  You hear that this animal belongs over here and this one belongs here, but evolution as a whole was right and now we have a clearer picture.  Galileo and Pi are a couple more examples.

If religious people just admitted that they weren't given all of the secrets to science in the Bible and man was meant to discover them, there would be no conflict between science and religion. 

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 10:18:23 AM
If religious people just admitted that they weren't given all of the secrets to science in the Bible and man was meant to discover them, there would be no conflict between science and religion. 

Did you mean me?  Okay. I admit I wasn't given all of the secrets to science in the Bible and man was meant to discover them.

Ahem... And Now I've solved all the worlds problems  :) , I just found this on the interwebbytubes

Einstein ultimately gave grudging acceptance to what he called "the necessity for a beginning" and eventually to "the presence of a superior reasoning power." But he never did accept the reality of a personal God.

How does that fit into the science vs faith debate?

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 10:24:11 AM
I like traffic lights.

Especially when they are green.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 11:14:42 AM
I like traffic lights.

Especially when they are green.

Gotta, respect that.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 01:37:49 PM
The ultimate example is evolution.  Every new scientific discovery and technological advance that has been aimed at evolution has only proved to make it stronger.  You don't hear anyone saying DNA sequencing is wrong because it contradicts evolution.  You hear that this animal belongs over here and this one belongs here, but evolution as a whole was right and now we have a clearer picture.

Actually, my rejection of Evoltion has little to do with my religion.  I'm not 100% sure that the Theory of Evolution and Christianity are incompatible.  That is, if Evolution could somehow be proved to be true, my religious ideas could probably adapt to incorporate that.  It wouldn't destroy me.

My rejection of Evolution is more closely related to a lifetime of public school textbooks, Scientific American articles, National Geographic foldouts, Carl Sagan books and sci-fi novels.  I just don't buy it.  I don't find the evidence convincing enough to compel belief, and I can explain why I disbelieve without once appealing to the Bible.

Hear my very very short story on The Drabblecast!

Russell Nash

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 03:34:10 PM
The ultimate example is evolution.  Every new scientific discovery and technological advance that has been aimed at evolution has only proved to make it stronger.  You don't hear anyone saying DNA sequencing is wrong because it contradicts evolution.  You hear that this animal belongs over here and this one belongs here, but evolution as a whole was right and now we have a clearer picture.

Actually, my rejection of Evoltion has little to do with my religion.  I'm not 100% sure that the Theory of Evolution and Christianity are incompatible.  That is, if Evolution could somehow be proved to be true, my religious ideas could probably adapt to incorporate that.  It wouldn't destroy me.

My rejection of Evolution is more closely related to a lifetime of public school textbooks, Scientific American articles, National Geographic foldouts, Carl Sagan books and sci-fi novels.  I just don't buy it.  I don't find the evidence convincing enough to compel belief, and I can explain why I disbelieve without once appealing to the Bible.

And how much scrutiny did you give to ID before you accepted it?

Did you mean me?  Okay. I admit I wasn't given all of the secrets to science in the Bible and man was meant to discover them.
Einstein ultimately gave grudging acceptance to what he called "the necessity for a beginning" and eventually to "the presence of a superior reasoning power." But he never did accept the reality of a personal God.

How does that fit into the science vs faith debate?

The thing is there are very few scientists who go around screaming at people for believing in a god.  But you have school boards trying to replace 145 years of scientific work on evolution with 4 years of work on ID. 

The fight is almost always like this:

Scientist:  Look what I discovered.
Religious person:  But the Bible says it happened this way.
S:  I worked on it for years and have had other scientists check my work.  They all come to the same conclusion.
RP:  You hate GOD.
S:  What does that have to do with it.
RP:  You spoke against the Bible.
S:  I gave you verifiable results based on proper scientific method.
RP:  You hate GOD. You want the devil to come and take us all.
S:  I don't know about a god.  I don't have any evidence either way.
RP:  But you spoke against him.
S:  I just gave you my results.  You guys are all crazy.
etc. …

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 07:08:57 PM
Scientist:  Look what I discovered.
Religious person:  But the Bible says it happened this way.
S:  I worked on it for years and have had other scientists check my work.  They all come to the same conclusion.
RP:  You hate GOD.
S:  What does that have to do with it.
RP:  You spoke against the Bible.
S:  I gave you verifiable results based on proper scientific method.
RP:  You hate GOD. You want the devil to come and take us all.
S:  I don't know about a god.  I don't have any evidence either way.
RP:  But you spoke against him.
S:  I just gave you my results.  You guys are all crazy.
etc. …

I'll bite.

What "verifiable results based on proper scientific method" prooves  Evolution?  Is is not just a theory that appears to  fit some objective facts.  No one has put evolution is a lab, focused a microscope on it for 300,000 years have they? Let me make a simple comparison.  The world is flat because it looks flat.

Let me also add that by evolution I'm referring to the process that makes your uncle a monkey, not the quick process that evolves fruit flys into... fruit flys with attitude.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 07:32:35 PM
Let me also add that by evolution I'm referring to the process that makes your uncle a monkey, not the quick process that evolves fruit flys into... fruit flys with attitude.

What is the difference?

The Great N-sh whispers in my ear, and he's talking about you.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 07:56:07 PM

What is the difference?

From the point of view where the bible comes into it...

Fruit flys live a few days and you can observe the changes.  Evolution I'm referring to makes our uncles into monkeys and takes hundreds of thousands of years.

I think these are very differn't.  Breeding a better sheep claiming your uncles are monkeys are completely differn't.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 07:58:14 PM

What is the difference?

Fruit flys live a few days and you can observe the changes.  Evolution I'm referring to makes our uncles into monkeys and takes hundreds of thousands of years.

I think these are very differn't.  Breeding a better sheep claiming your uncles are monkeys are completely differn't.

Perhaps a better example would be ... comparing the fizzy breakdown of the dispersable asprin, to proton-decay.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 08:00:16 PM

What is the difference?

There is a huge amount of difference.

What I will call "adaptation" is easily viewed in nature.  It is well documented in many types of life and solid theories exist to explain how it happens.  Recessive genes, random mutation, sexual recombination: There are a dozen ways in which genetic diversity is created in a population of organisms.  For instance, within a population of Galapagos finches, you'll have slight variations in beak size.  An environmental change causes a disproportionate number of hard-shelled seeds to be grown in a given year.  The finches with bigger beaks are better able to crack these seeds, which means that the finches with bigger beaks are better nourished and able to produce more offspring.  Next season, the average beak size for Galapagos finches will be larger.

This sort of adaptation is proven by repeatable observation to occur and testable theory exists to explain how it happens.

Evolution is another idea and another story.  Evolution requires not only the refinement of existing features, but the genesis of new features.  This has never been observed to occur and–so far as I know–no theory exists to explain how it might happen.

When a beak exists, adaptation can refine it.  No one questions that.  But how does an animal that has teeth get a beak?  That is a problem of a qualitatively different nature.

Russell Nash

Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 08:06:35 PM
What is the difference?

It's a bit like saying prove you can move rocks, but you can't do it with a rock less than 5000 pounds and you can't use any tools.

Scientists watch bacteria evolve in the lab.  Antibiotic resistance is entirely evolutionary based.  The next time you need antibiotics tell the doctor to give you the oldest kind that is still made, because you don't believe the infection could have evolved to develope resistance.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 08:24:22 PM

The Bible doesn´t come into it though. Isn´t that what the whole argument is about?

Well first, let´s start with a definition of evolution then shall we? Here´s one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

So let´s have a look.. ahh yes, the first sentence: "In biology, evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a population from generation to generation."

Fruit flys have a life cycle of 12-14 days, one of the reasons they are used as a model organism. Evolutionary pressures can be implemented and investigated on a time scale that we can observe. You are attempting to argue that simply because it takes less than a year to observe evolutionary pressure at work on a population, that it must be different. You are failing to acknowledge that it is not the absolute time which is important, but the generational. This is obviously due to simply a lack of knowledge in the field, so I´m glad to have helped open your eyes.

Now let´s get to the monkey thing. Your Uncle isn´t a monkey (well he might be, one of mine certainly acts like that occasionally). Apes and humans share a common ancestor. This common ancestor was neither an ape nor a human as both of those two branched off later. You appear to be trying to argue simply because you think it´s personally offensive that you could in someway be compared to an ape. If that´s the case, then there is no point continuing this discussion with you.

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 08:29:21 PM
Mr. Tweedy,

We've had this arguement before, so let's do this a different way.  Explain why the current opposition to evolution is different from the opposition to Galileo's conclusions.

After Galileo said the earth revolved around the sun the church forced him to revoke his statements and he was under essentially house arrest until he died.  If he had at anytime restated his conclusions, he would have been put to death.  The church admitted he was right in 1998, 380 years later.  

So what's the difference?

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 08:53:58 PM
Evolution is another idea and another story.  Evolution requires not only the refinement of existing features, but the genesis of new features.  This has never been observed to occur and–so far as I know–no theory exists to explain how it might happen.

Alright. Here´s a fairly layman introduction to a theory on the evolution of the mammalian breast:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/05/breast_beginnings.php

Have fun.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 09:00:46 PM
Mr. Tweedy,

We've had this arguement before, so let's do this a different way.  Explain why the current opposition to evolution is different from the opposition to Galileo's conclusions.

After Galileo said the earth revolved around the sun the church forced him to revoke his statements and he was under essentially house arrest until he died.  If he had at anytime restated his conclusions, he would have been put to death.  The church admitted he was right in 1998, 380 years later.  

That question is loaded, unfair, and irrelevant.  Why don't you explain to me why Evolution is not the modern equivalent of heliocentrism and the proponents of intelligent design are not the Galileo figures?  I don't actually expect you to do that: I'm trying to illustrate the absurdity of your question.  It's really more of an insult: "I think you're a closed-minded dogmatist.  Prove that you're not."  I reject those terms.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 09:06:42 PM
Oh, oh, oh! He also has another one on the origin of insect wings:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/07/flap_those_gills_and_fly.php

And he addresses your initial point about something popping out of nothing with a nifty little look at limb and genital formation:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/07/generic_bumps_and_recycled_gen.php

Russell Nash

Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 09:09:36 PM
Mr. Tweedy,

That question is loaded, unfair, and irrelevant.  Why don't you explain to me why Evolution is not the modern equivalent of heliocentrism and the proponents of intelligent design are not the Galileo figures?  I don't actually expect you to do that: I'm trying to illustrate the absurdity of your question.  It's really more of an insult: "I think you're a closed-minded dogmatist.  Prove that you're not."  I reject those terms.

Unlike Galileo the ID guys haven't shown their research.  They haven't opened up to peer review.  They put their evidence out to Nature and I'll read it.  When you learn learn a little about scientific method, you'll see that ID is fiction and not even SF.  It's Fantasy.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 09:24:06 PM
Evolution is another idea and another story.  Evolution requires not only the refinement of existing features, but the genesis of new features.  This has never been observed to occur and–so far as I know–no theory exists to explain how it might happen.

Alright. Here´s a fairly layman introduction to a theory on the evolution of the mammalian breast:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006/05/breast_beginnings.php

Have fun.

Yes?  I've read a hundred other articles just like this one.  As I said, I don't buy it.

For those of you who didn't click on the link, a synopsis: Breast and the milk they produce bear many similarities to mucus glands and to protective mucus.  Therefore, breasts evolved from glands whose original purpose was to squirt protective mucus onto eggs and baby ancestor-critters.

This is a fine example of the kind of question begging and spurious logic that plagues Evolutionary theories.  All evidence is circumstantial, nothing is actually proved and the researchers start their investigation with the assumption that breasts must have evolved from something, they've just got to guess what.  And, of course, no experiment is possible, so the criteria for proof are entirely arbitrary.

I would also add that this article does not claim that a new organ was generated, simply that a generic gland became specialized.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:36:51 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 10:09:57 PM
You don´t buy it because it hasn´t been recreated in a lab in front of your eyes, but you´d happily buy that a mystical superbeing created you because someone wrote that once?

You dismiss out of hand the theories you asked for us to provide you with on no good grounds. I´m happy for you to poke holes in any theory, that´s why they´re theories, yet waving your hands saying "No, no, no I don´t think it´s good enough" without reasoning is NOT disproving a theory.

The breast IS an example of a few cells becoming a specialised, more complex structure. The limb/genital formation IS an example of how an existing pathway could be co-opted to produce a different structure entirely. You wanted theories, you got them.

You want to dismiss the entire body of knowledge which has been created and still growing in science for the mythology of your holy book. Regardless of anything that science could show you, your mind is so closed and your indoctrination so complete that it´s an absolutely pointless waste of time talking to you.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #21 on: September 17, 2007, 03:02:18 AM
http://www.spore.com/index.php
yay evolution!... slash intelligent design.... slash adaptationish...

w/e it doesnt really affect any one of us directly riiiight?

anyways personally i believe in evolution.  like those of you who dont buy it, i just dont buy intelligent design.  (tho im DEFINATELY getting Spore!)

You want to dismiss the entire body of knowledge which has been created and still growing in science for the mythology of your holy book. Regardless of anything that science could show you, your mind is so closed and your indoctrination so complete that it´s an absolutely pointless waste of time talking to you.
woah there dude, no personal attacks, lets keep this civil.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 03:08:54 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 03:11:07 AM
You don´t buy it because it hasn´t been recreated in a lab in front of your eyes, but you´d happily buy that a mystical superbeing created you because someone wrote that once?

You dismiss out of hand the theories you asked for us to provide you with on no good grounds. I´m happy for you to poke holes in any theory, that´s why they´re theories, yet waving your hands saying "No, no, no I don´t think it´s good enough" without reasoning is NOT disproving a theory.

The breast IS an example of a few cells becoming a specialised, more complex structure. The limb/genital formation IS an example of how an existing pathway could be co-opted to produce a different structure entirely. You wanted theories, you got them.

In other words, anyone who does not believe in Evolution is not qualified to criticize it.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 03:50:12 AM
   Ok  so evolution. It has been studied in many labs and in the real world and using the scientific method it appears to fit ie. “theory” but dose not fit all presented facts “not law”.
   Blind opposition to evolution be caws my pastor / priest told me its wrong. Is just beyond understanding.

Improvise, Adapt ,Overcome.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 08:27:47 AM
What "verifiable results based on proper scientific method" prooves  Evolution?

My dog.

I'm always flabbergasted when intelligent people say they don't believe in evolution.  It usually makes me think that there's a semantic failure somewhere.  I can only assume people are thinking the word "evolution" means something incredibly specific and arguable -- like Mr. Tweedy's specific example about breasts, or random arguments about the development of the eye.  All of that is totally beside the point.  It's arguing that trees don't exist because you can't explain some minor mechanism of chlorophyll.

Evolution simply means that species change and diversify based on reproductive pressures.  That's all.  It's not an atheist buzzword.  It doesn't imply absolute understanding of the complete history of life on earth.  It isn't even as specific as natural selection.  It just means that species change based on how they reproduce.  Shit, you can watch species change.  Someone crosses a Labrador and a poodle and calls it a Labradoodle?  They've just practiced limited evolution.  On a much longer timescale, most of our cultivated livestock and food crops came from wild ancestors that were totally different species.  People made cows out of aurochs, dogs out of wolves, corn out of wild maize because cows and dogs and corn are much more convenient for people.  Selective breeding created new species.  That dogs came from wolves, etc., is overwhelmingly evident from genetic analysis -- as is the fact that we share 96% of our DNA with chimpanzees.

Species change based on reproductive pressures.  That's observable.  Any gardener knows this.  To me this is such a "Duh!" statement that anyone who denies the existence and efficacy of evolution must either:

A.) be talking about something else, and confusing the meaning of the word (deliberately or not); or
B.) have blinders on -- again, deliberately or not.

I am so baffled that people waste time arguing about this that my brain genuinely cannot process it.  Have they never looked at fossils?  Botanical gardens?  The Westminster Dog Show?

Am I missing something here?  Why does this discussion happen?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:30:13 AM by SFEley »

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #25 on: September 17, 2007, 10:32:42 AM
Here is my short discourse on what religion and science means to me.

I am of the notion that the implicit purpose of our religious texts (Bible, Talmud, Koran) is to provide a rule book and moral compass for a society. They tell us how to live. And because we all have a very basic need to believe in something bigger, more powerful, more meaningful than ourselves, these texts are written in terms of the actions and words of gods, angels, devils, saints, prophets etc.

As our societies change, our rules change; our sense of morals change. Unfortunately our religious texts have not changed as well. We are left with books that reveal we are not all equal and that belief in other gods is wrong. We should not look for literal truths in outdated texts. I would rather that we read these texts as parables to be interpreted and changed as we change.

Science represents our best understanding of the world as we know it at the time. Science and our understanding of the world as revealed through science changes in time. What we consider fact now is nothing more than what we can currently understand and can prove in some way.

I see a natural link between science and religion. Science is all about trying to understand and explain things. Many of our myths are religious stories and try to do that too: explain some natural event in terms of one god or other. Eventually, we reached the point where enough people began to wonder if it was really Thor, Guruwari or Yahweh that caused that light in the sky, shaking ground or pestilence among the people. Our curiosity grew beyond the stories we would tell each other, and soon enough our equipment and growing knowledge showed us that there other explanations.

I see this is as being the dichotomy broached in this thread: do we still need religion to explain things to us when science has an answer too?

I believe the answer is intrinsic: science is about what we know and religion is about how we should live. Both of them should change as we change, and we need to understand that what is right today, can be wrong tomorrow. Without this we will find it hard to adapt.  [ erm.. evolve. :) ]

One last thought. We have a lot of religious hierarchy who do manage to interpret religious texts in different ways, and sometimes those appear to be positive ways. However, I am not convinced they have the good of society in mind. Instead they have a lot to protect: money and power. I have the same sense of cynicism for our political and business structures. None of these large organisations have the good of humanity at heart, because the need for making money and gaining power is too high a priority. We will never have a good balance between religion and science for this same reason: as long as someone has to be wrong for someone else to be right.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #26 on: September 17, 2007, 01:30:42 PM
Evolution simply means that species change and diversify based on reproductive pressures.  That's all.  [...]  Species change based on reproductive pressures.  That's observable.  Any gardener knows this.  [...]  Am I missing something here?

You apparently missed the part where I defined my terms.  ;D

I called the phenomenon you are referring to "adaptation"–which involves the refinement of existing traits–and acknowledged that it occurs every day.  I then distinguished between this and "Evolution"–which involves the genesis of new traits.  I claim that that they are fundamentally different ideas.

My dictionary seems to agree with me.
Adaptation - (biology) A change by which an organism or species becomes better suited to its environment; the process of making such changes.
Evolution - The process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the history of the Earth; (a brief explanation of the history of the idea follows).

The first is a vague blanket term while the second is quite specific.

I'm thinking I might have to get a new dictionary, since the definitions provided by the Oxford American Dictionary always seem controversial.  Curse Apple for making a defective widget!

Blind opposition to evolution be caws my pastor / priest told me its wrong. Is just beyond understanding.

I agree.  You might notice that I haven't–in this thread–mentioned priests, holy books, supreme beings or divine revelations.  I honestly wasn't planning to at any point in this conversation.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 01:36:09 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #27 on: September 17, 2007, 01:46:17 PM
My dictionary agrees with me.
Evolution - The process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the history of the Earth; (a brief explanation of the history of the idea follows).

And you deny that this happens?!  You really believe that species don't develop and diversify from earlier forms? 

I have no words to explain how this baffles me.

I agree.  You might notice that I haven't–in this thread–mentioned priests, holy books, supreme beings or divine revelations.  And I honestly wasn't planning to at any point in this conversation.

Okay, then...  What the hell, I'll put the revolver on the table.

Since you don't believe in diversification of species through reproductive pressure, Mr. Tweedy, and since you're not about supreme beings in this context, how do you explain the birds, the bees and the bromeliads?  What's the mundane mechanism for species origin that makes more sense to you?

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 02:14:23 PM
called the phenomenon you are referring to "adaptation"–which involves the refinement of existing traits–and acknowledged that it occurs every day.  I then distinguished between this and "Evolution"–which involves the genesis of new traits.  I claim that that they are fundamentally different ideas.

But they aren't. Your argument doesn't hold up w/ basic biology. It's not that you don't believe in evolution that no one agrees with you -- which you've claimed. It's that your biology is wrong.

If you really think your biology is strong enough that you know what you're doing, then go argue with the biologists. Try this on Pharyngula, or if the atmosphere there is too hostile, go to The Panda's Thumb. Every one of your arguments has been made there and rebutted. They'll either point you to the places where you're disproven, or hash it out again.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 02:19:02 PM
My dictionary agrees with me.

And you deny that this happens?!  You really believe that species don't develop and diversify from earlier forms?

That's something of a trick question.  Yes, of course they do, but this process involves the refinement of existing features.  Such as your example with dogs: Dogs have legs, ears and hair.  Hence, you can breed a dog with long legs, short legs, thick hair, little hair, pointy ears, floppy ears, etc.  But you can't breed a dog with tentacles (although it would be pretty cool).

Traits already present within organisms can be made more or less prominent by selective breeding, but new traits cannot be created from scratch.  I have no trouble accepting that weasels could diversify into minks, ferrets and martens.  Those are different breeds of the same basic critter: None of them has any traits that the others don't have; they've just got them in a slightly different mix.  But I do have trouble accepting that iguanas could diversify into weasels, canaries and killer whales.  For that to happen, the iguana would have to generate numerous new traits that it does not have.  This requires the generation of complex information that did not previously exist.  (I think the term "info-genesis" sounds good.)

Adaptation does not involve info-genesis.  The genes are already there.  Breeding just reshuffles them so that some are expressed more prominently than others.  Evolution, in contrast, requires that new genes–new information which previously did not exist anywhere in any form–be created.  It requires you to breed a dog with tentacles*.  That is what I don't believe happens.

*I suppose you could filch genes from a squid and stick them in the dog, but even in that case you wouldn't be creating a new gene.

Okay, then...  What the hell, I'll put the revolver on the table.

Since you don't believe in diversification of species through reproductive pressure, Mr. Tweedy, and since you're not about supreme beings in this context, how do you explain the birds, the bees and the bromeliads?  What's the mundane mechanism for species origin that makes more sense to you?

You already know that I think an Inventor made all this stuff.  I just wasn't going to bring Him up here (although, strangely, all the atheists seem very eager to do so).  My disbelief in Evolution is not dependent upon my belief in God, so I don't have any need to bring Him up when explaining it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 02:47:57 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 03:13:08 PM
Against my better judgement…

As to your faulty understanding of evolution.  As I pointed out in a previous comment, it is about shared, common ancestors. There was not an ancient lobster that evolved into a dog. There was an ancient bilateral worm which evolved into other worms, some of which eventually evolved into shellfish, some of which eventually evolved into dogs. However that split was well before worms got hairy and developed big puppy eyes.

The next big point: New genes DO evolve. Here´s a paper on one:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=528974

As they say in their introduction “Much is known about the origins of new genes by means of exon shuffling, gene duplication, retroposition, recruitment of transposable elements, horizontal transfer, gene fission/fission, and the generation of coding regions from noncoding regions of the genome, each with many examples.“

I can hear you already saying "but that´s just rearrangement, not a new gene" so I have to ask: Do you actually understand what a gene is? Do you understand what a protein is? Do you understand the idea of protein families and superfamilies, of conserved folds and active sites? Do you understand how proteins function, how they can be modified and how new activities develop when parts of proteins are swapped around or mutated? Do you understand how proteins interact with each other? How cellular processes are controlled, affected, adjusted?

A new gene is one which codes for a protein which performs a new function. If the original gene coded for a dehydrogenase and yet a few minor mutations take place and now it doesn´t act like a dehydrogenase, but instead is capable of cleaving sugars it is now a new protein with a completely different function. And it is coded for by a new gene.

Do you understand that evolution is not talking about dogs vs lobsters, but the change to one cellular pathway which eventually can result in huge morphological differences?

There is not a gene which encodes a fully functional tentacle. There are genes which start a particular cellular process. Further process act, different genes/proteins activated and deactivated and when a lot of this happens in a very specific way you have a tentacle. You seem to expect  “Bang! Mutation! Fully Formed Tentacle Appears” but that is not how biology works.

Now if you´d read and understood the biology of the article I posted earlier on limb/genital formation, this point should have been clear. That demonstrates that an existing pathway, one used for creating protuberances was “hijacked” into creating a new protuberance, one which then evolved further and further until it is the penis we all know and love today.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 03:55:32 PM
Against my better judgement…

As to your faulty understanding of evolution.  As I pointed out in a previous comment, it is about shared, common ancestors. There was not an ancient lobster that evolved into a dog. There was an ancient bilateral worm which evolved into other worms, some of which eventually evolved into shellfish, some of which eventually evolved into dogs. However that split was well before worms got hairy and developed big puppy eyes.

Yes, wherethewild, I understand that.  I'm not quite as stupid as you seem to think.  I used "iguana" because, as I understand the most recent update of the evolutionary tree, birds and mammals are both descended from creatures that would be classified as reptiles.  Birds went one way, mammals went another, and some reptiles stayed pretty much the way they were.  Through many branchings and dead-ends, the ancestor mammal split into many species, one of which stayed on land and eventually went through its own splits to became genus Mustelidae and some of which returned to the water and became the order Cetacea.  My use of four contemporary species was an intentional equivocation for the purpose of creating an illustration.  I am well aware that no one has ever claimed that the weasel is a descendent of the iguana.

And yes, I know what a gene is, and I know what a protein is, I know that there is no single tentacle gene (you might notice that I used the plural "genes," when describing the transference of a tentacle onto a dog), and I can answer "yes" to every last one of your other questions.  I am not a professional biologist: I do not posses a thorough and profound understanding of every chemical process that occurs within a cell, but I know enough to understand with perfect clarity every sentence you have written and every sentence you have linked to.

I will read this new article you've posted just as I read the other three.  I will do this for my own information, but I obviously cannot discuss it with you.  You have preemptively established that disbelief in Evolution is proof of ignorance, stupidity and dogmatic indoctrination.  Unless my reaction to this article is along the lines "I'm convinced!  Now I believe!" you will assume that my irrational dogmatism has prevented me from understanding it.  Surely I can have no intelligent dialog with you if that is your attitude.

I will also note that your attitude–that those who do not believe in Evolution are not qualified to criticize it–effectively insulates your belief from all criticism.  The assertion that anyone who disagrees with you is stupid by definition is hardly conducive to objective thinking.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 04:05:30 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 04:18:53 PM
That is the second time in this thread that you have claimed I think this. I do not. What I do think is that someone who does not understand biology is incapable of arguing about biology.

You assure me that you understand it all. Okay. Your illustration was then, rather than the simple misunderstanding I perceived it to be, a deliberate misconstruction of evolutionary theory. You are building strawmen.

In all of your tirade against my attitude, you haven´t yet knocked down the theories put forward, except to say “I don´t buy it”. THAT is not conducive to objective thinking.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 04:26:55 PM
That is the second time in this thread that you have claimed I think this. I do not. What I do think is that someone who does not understand biology is incapable of arguing about biology.

You assure me that you understand it all. Okay. Your illustration was then, rather than the simple misunderstanding I perceived it to be, a deliberate misconstruction of evolutionary theory. You are building strawmen.

In all of your tirade against my attitude, you haven´t yet knocked down the theories put forward, except to say “I don´t buy it”. THAT is not conducive to objective thinking.

Actually, I said

All evidence is circumstantial, nothing is actually proved and the researchers start their investigation with the assumption that breasts must have evolved from something, they've just got to guess what.  And, of course, no experiment is possible, so the criteria for proof are entirely arbitrary.

I would also add that this article does not claim that a new organ was generated, simply that a generic gland became specialized.

To which you responded

You want to dismiss the entire body of knowledge which has been created and still growing in science for the mythology of your holy book.  Regardless of anything that science could show you, your mind is so closed and your indoctrination so complete that it´s an absolutely pointless waste of time talking to you.

But whatever.

Are you willing to listen to and consider my attempt to "knock down" a theory or do you think that my ignorance is so evident that my ideas are not worth listening to?  If you're interested in listening, I'll gladly demonstrate the depth of my ignorance and justify your assumptions.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 05:43:06 PM
i think what everybody has said in this thread comes down to faith is faith and you can't shake me from mine.

Russell Nash

Reply #35 on: September 17, 2007, 05:48:38 PM
i think what everybody has said in this thread comes down to faith is faith and you can't shake me from mine.

Faith is faith, but Science is Truth!

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #36 on: September 17, 2007, 05:55:13 PM
exactly

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #37 on: September 17, 2007, 06:06:42 PM
Steve pretty much nailed my feelings on the subject in the intro to 123.

I believe in God.  I believe in evolution.  Like most of my faith and science, I don't find the two to be mutually exclusive.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #38 on: September 17, 2007, 06:19:51 PM
Now let´s get to the monkey thing. Your Uncle isn´t a monkey (well he might be, one of mine certainly acts like that occasionally).

LOL

Apes and humans share a common ancestor. This common ancestor was neither an ape nor a human as both of those two branched off later.

You seem to have "faith" is that arguement   :)  What I would ask is, where is the proof?  All there is a theory based on some apparent and disjointed facts.

You appear to be trying to argue simply because you think it´s personally offensive that you could in someway be compared to an ape. If that´s the case, then there is no point continuing this discussion with you.

I'm not at all offended.  It's an interesting discussion!  I thought the "uncle" statement was funny, sorry if I've come across as angry.  :D

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #39 on: September 17, 2007, 06:28:19 PM
Someone crosses a Labrador and a poodle and calls it a Labradoodle?  They've just practiced limited evolution.

A common misconception, you bred a "dog" from two "dogs" in that example.  It's a definition thing.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #40 on: September 17, 2007, 06:38:04 PM

... if you have ... faith in it.  :D

But on a more serious note, putting your "belief" in in all  that science claims is a danger in itself.  As a non-scientist you have to take what they say on faith, and hope that they are not claiming "whatever" for thier own benefit.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 06:55:01 PM

But where did that Truth come from?

Science is truth as understood by human beings with an extremely limited point of view, yet with equally sized arrogance and self-importance.

I am not against science in any way, other than when scientists look down on me with condescension because I believe in God or brush aside my faith as prattle.

If everyone nurtured both their intellect and their spirituallity (or failth), we would all be so much better off.  The forest (God and spiritual laws) is often not seen because the focus is only on the tree (Science and physical laws).  Science is essential, yet so is Faith.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 08:30:52 PM by kmmrlatham »

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #42 on: September 17, 2007, 06:56:42 PM

That is incorrect on two levels.

First, science is not truth.  Science is a method of discovering truth.  Real scientists practicing real science can come to wrong conclusions.  For example, geologists used to think that the continents were fixed in place; they were wrong, but they were not less scientists for their error.  Conversely, one can learn truth without using science.  For example, I know that you live in Germany, but I did not use any particular method to discover this.

Second, as FNH pointed out, one must have faith in a person if one is to believe what that person is saying.  There is no aspect of human interaction that does not require some level of faith, and believing the word of scientists is a kind of faith.  For example, I believe the fusion of hydrogen nuclei into helium is what makes the sun shine.  I cannot prove that this the case, but–since I see no evidence to the contrary–I believe what I have been told about it.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #43 on: September 17, 2007, 08:21:09 PM
Steve pretty much nailed my feelings on the subject in the intro to 123.

I believe in God.  I believe in evolution.  Like most of my faith and science, I don't find the two to be mutually exclusive.

What he said.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #44 on: September 18, 2007, 06:43:50 AM
Are you willing to listen to and consider my attempt to "knock down" a theory ...

Yep.

Science is a method of discovering truth. 

Agreed.

Second, as FNH pointed out, one must have faith in a person if one is to believe what that person is saying.  There is no aspect of human interaction that does not require some level of faith, and believing the word of scientists is a kind of faith.  For example, I believe the fusion of hydrogen nuclei into helium is what makes the sun shine.  I cannot prove that this the case, but–since I see no evidence to the contrary–I believe what I have been told about it.

Disagreed. The point about Science, as opposed to faith, is that is based upon the establishment of theories which may then be investigated by anyone and be supported or disproven. Unlike faith, where it is not possible that I recreate your experiences with your God, you may certainly recreate and investigate any experiment. Science is not based on faith. Your acceptance of an experiment or theory may (or may not be) "just believing what those science geeks say", but that is only because you´ve chosen not to learn enough about it to be able to understand, support or refute it. That does not mean that it cannot be observed by anyone, regardless of language, culture or religon.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #45 on: September 18, 2007, 03:45:43 PM
Second, as FNH pointed out, one must have faith in a person if one is to believe what that person is saying.  There is no aspect of human interaction that does not require some level of faith, and believing the word of scientists is a kind of faith.  For example, I believe the fusion of hydrogen nuclei into helium is what makes the sun shine.  I cannot prove that this the case, but–since I see no evidence to the contrary–I believe what I have been told about it.

Disagreed. The point about Science, as opposed to faith, is that is based upon the establishment of theories which may then be investigated by anyone and be supported or disproven. Unlike faith, where it is not possible that I recreate your experiences with your God, you may certainly recreate and investigate any experiment. Science is not based on faith. Your acceptance of an experiment or theory may (or may not be) "just believing what those science geeks say", but that is only because you´ve chosen not to learn enough about it to be able to understand, support or refute it. That does not mean that it cannot be observed by anyone, regardless of language, culture or religon.

I agree and disagree.  Yes, any science can, in principle, be independently verified.  That's an important part of what makes it science.  But it practice it is not possible for every person to learn everything and perform every experiment.  It is not really possible for me to gain access to ever tool used in every discipline and learn every theory and recreate every experiment for myself.  That would take 12,517 years.

In theory, we could verify everything for ourselves, but in practice we have to trust each other.  That's essentially why there are different disciplines in science: There isn't time for everyone to study everything.

I'll write more about "knocking down" later, possibly not 'till tomorrow.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #46 on: September 18, 2007, 03:55:35 PM
I'll write more about "knocking down" later, possibly not 'till tomorrow.

I´m leaving town sometime in the next 48 hours and not back for 2 1/2 weeks. So you may have to wait for a response, or others here will have to do so.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #47 on: September 18, 2007, 05:29:28 PM
if you refuse to talk to your god you will never understand yourself.
if you refuse to study since you will never understand your world.
bouth would be a pitty

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #48 on: September 18, 2007, 07:47:43 PM
I’m going to go with this article that werethewild linked to because it contains the phrase “sonic hedgehog,” which surely incites fond nostalgia in at least a few of you.

The article explains how specific genes and hormones (such as sonic hedgehog) cause limbs and genitalia and sprout from the torsos of mammalian embryos.  The specific genes that incite the formation of limbs and genitalia are very similar, similar to the point that a leg and a penis are almost identical when they first start forming.

Evidence for this similarity is presented.  Chemical tests show that the same genes are active in both cases.  A defect in a given gene may may result in deformities in both limbs and genitals.

Synopsis: Even though limbs and genitals are very different organs, the same process is responsible for causing them both to sprout from an embryo.

--------------

Up to this point I have absolutely no argument or disagreement with anything.  This is pretty much my reaction to every article about biology and Evolution I read: I accept the facts.  I accept the experimental data.  I believe that the processes are described accurately and that no one is incompetent or lying.

I accept the facts, but what do these facts prove?

The author of the article claims that it proves Evolution.  A common process is used to perform multiple functions, and this is taken as evidence that the process must have started out having one function and later been co-opted to perform the other.  To quote the article, “Evolution reuses what it can; it's far easier to develop a novel protuberance by switching on an existing 'protuberance pathway' in a new place than to generate entirely new molecular mechanisms to do the same thing.”

I say this is a non sequitur.  A common function does not prove a common origin.

What does it prove?  I say it proves nothing at all about origins.  For a given function, there is a given tool that does it well.  Sonic hedgehog makes protuberances sprout from embryos, and so sonic hedgehog is used whenever a protuberance is needed.  What else would you expect?  This says nothing at all about where sonic hedgehog came from.  It proves only that SH is a useful machine.

Now, if one starts with the preconception that Evolution is the origin of all functions, then naturally interpretation of the evidence will follow this preconception.  This is the case with all evidence about all things.  But if we start with no preconceptions, we see that this evidence really says nothing about Evolution one way or the other.

I do not dispute the facts.  I dispute the interpretation.

(Wherethewild, I am in no way trying to distort or misrepresent anything.  If I made some mistake or do not understand something, please take it as an honest mistake and correct me.  Don’t assume I’m trying to mislead.)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #49 on: September 19, 2007, 03:16:11 AM
The author of the article claims that it proves Evolution.  A common process is used to perform multiple functions, and this is taken as evidence that the process must have started out having one function and later been co-opted to perform the other.

Where in the text does the author claim that it "proves evolution?"  Please point me at that, because I missed it.  At most this is simply a mechanism that is consistent with predictions an evolutionary biologist might make.  No rigorous scientist would call that "proof."  This writer didn't, and he didn't use your words "must have," either.  In the context of the blog, this post is clearly intended as correlative evidence of evolution, but no one's calling it definitive.  Your argument here is a strawman argument.

(And why are you capitalizing 'evolution' every time you use the word?  It's not a proper noun.) 

Now, if one starts with the preconception that Evolution is the origin of all functions, then naturally interpretation of the evidence will follow this preconception.  This is the case with all evidence about all things.  But if we start with no preconceptions, we see that this evidence really says nothing about Evolution one way or the other.

If you're walking in a field and see an acorn on the ground, and an oak tree a few yards away, then only your preconceptions might lead you to connect the acorn with the tree.  If you have no preconceptions, the evidence of the acorn really says nothing about the tree one way or the other.

If you're walking in a forest, however, and see hundreds of trees and thousands of acorns upon the ground, and some of the trees have budding acorns upon them, then you really should feel justified in inferring a connection, even if you never see an acorn fall during the short time you're walking.

I do not dispute the facts.  I dispute the interpretation.

Now let's say you're walking with a forestry expert, and the expert says "Acorns come from trees."  You are not a forestry expert.  You say, "Don't be ridiculous!  Look, here's an acorn, and it's on the ground.  It's not on a tree."  The expert coughs politely and points out some acorns hanging on trees.  You say, "What does that have to do with anything?  I'm talking about this acorn!  Right here!  This one is on the ground!  You can't prove it has anything to do with a tree!"

Each of these bits of evidence, sonic hedgehog and everything else, is an acorn.  Are you going to inspect each one individually and say that it, alone, doesn't prove evolution?  If you lift your eyes from ground level and observe that there are thousands of them, they're highly consistent with each other, and there are trees all around you, does that signify nothing?

More to the point, do you really think you're smarter and better informed than the sum of the world's biologists, practically all of whom believe that evolution is a fundamental and well-founded mechanism of their science, with a huge mass of observational evidence supporting it? 

How sure are you that you're the clear and critical thinker in this game, and that the people who spend their lives studying this science are all banally misguided?  What's your insight that they don't have?  Given your self-confessed lack of scientific knowledge beyond the lay level, how confident are you in your superiority?  And what's the rational basis for that confidence?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:18:11 AM by SFEley »

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #50 on: September 19, 2007, 03:25:16 AM
(And why are you capitalizing 'evolution' every time you use the word?  It's not a proper noun.) 

Maybe he's talking about this?

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #51 on: September 19, 2007, 03:55:12 AM

I saw that movie.  I've spent years trying to forget it.

Thanks, Heradel.  Argh.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #52 on: September 19, 2007, 03:57:41 AM

I saw that movie.  I've spent years trying to forget it.

Thanks, Heradel.  Argh.

I try.

In other old movie news, Blade Runner's coming to theaters on the 5th.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 05:12:56 AM
Fair points all, Mr. Eley.

Where in the text does the author claim that it "proves evolution?"  Please point me at that, because I missed it.  At most this is simply a mechanism that is consistent with predictions an evolutionary biologist might make.  No rigorous scientist would call that "proof."  This writer didn't, and he didn't use your words "must have," either.

Well, to be honest, in all of my reading on the topic (which has included books written specifically to criticize creationism and books written specifically to popularize evolution and visits to the Chicago Field Museum) I have never encountered a single attempt to prove that the theory of evolution is true.  In all writings sympathetic to evolution, the theory is simply assumed to be true without requiring any proof.  I have read thousands of pages of speculation on how evolution might have progressed–assuming it happens–but not a single page seeking to prove, from evidence, that it actually does happen.  (Maybe I just haven't read the right books.  Links?)

That statement is admittedly odd, so I'll say again in an attempt for clarity: I have read lots and lots explaining what evolution might look like, if it really does happen.  But explaining how something might look if it is real is not at all the same thing as proving its reality.  Drawing a detailed and well-organized diagram of what it might look like if an ancestor organism were to evolve into myriad species is not the same as proving that said organism really did any such thing.

This analogy might sound flippant, but drawing a detailed anatomical diagram of a dragon does not prove that dragons exist.

In the context of the blog, this post is clearly intended as correlative evidence of evolution, but no one's calling it definitive.  Your argument here is a strawman argument.

I am making an example of this particular argument because 1.) it was the evidence which Werethewild presented and 2.) I am not aware that any stronger arguments exist.  Can you point me to an argument that is more definitive than this one, an argument which seeks to prove that evolution is true rather than simply taking as a given that it is?

I capitalize it to distinguish between the phenomenon of adaptive change (evolution) and the idea that all Earthly life is descended from a common ancestor (Evolution).  Since I've been called adaptive change "adaptation" in this context, the capitalization is superfluous.  I guess I'll stop doing it.

If you're walking in a field and see an acorn on the ground, and an oak tree a few yards away, then only your preconceptions might lead you to connect the acorn with the tree.  If you have no preconceptions, the evidence of the acorn really says nothing about the tree one way or the other.

If you're walking in a forest, however, and see hundreds of trees and thousands of acorns upon the ground, and some of the trees have budding acorns upon them, then you really should feel justified in inferring a connection, even if you never see an acorn fall during the short time you're walking.

There is overwhelming evidence that acorns become trees.  I can see the budding acorns.  I can see sprouting acorns on the ground.  I can analyze the DNA of the acorn and the tree and see that it is the same genome.  If I'm patient, I can observe while an acorn grows into a tree.  Observation demonstrates that they are the same species.  If I come upon the tree and the acorn with no preconceptions, then the evidence of my eyes will demonstrate that acorns become trees and trees drop acorns.

This is not analogous to evolution.  With evolution you are pointing to an acorn and a maple "helicopter" and telling me that, once, a very long time ago, they used to be the same species.  This claim does not arise from observation of the trees themselves and cannot be confirmed by observing them.  If I come upon the maple and the oak with no preconceptions, I will see that they bear many similarities to each other, but I will not find any evidence which compels me to believe that they descend from a common ancestor.

I will, however, find circumstantial evidence that could be interpreted so as to support my preconceptions, whatever my preconceptions happen to be.

Each of these bits of evidence, sonic hedgehog and everything else, is an acorn.  Are you going to inspect each one individually and say that it, alone, doesn't prove evolution?  If you lift your eyes from ground level and observe that there are thousands of them, they're highly consistent with each other, and there are trees all around you, does that signify nothing?

It would signify something if your analogy were valid, but I don't think it is, for the reasons I stated above.  A thousand spurious claims are not made credible by the fact that there are a thousand of them.

More to the point, do you really think you're smarter and better informed than the sum of the world's biologists, practically all of whom believe that evolution is a fundamental and well-founded mechanism of their science, with a huge mass of observational evidence supporting it? 

How sure are you that you're the clear and critical thinker in this game, and that the people who spend their lives studying this science are all banally misguided?  What's your insight that they don't have?  Given your self-confessed lack of scientific knowledge beyond the lay level, how confident are you in your superiority?  And what's the rational basis for that confidence?

Smarter?  Better informed?  Absolutely not.  I don't think I'm the smartest person on this thread, much less in the world.  I do think that I have a clarity of thought afforded by my willingness to disregard any and every idea that I find wanting.  I think that many others–despite being smarter and better informed than I am–are unwilling or, by long habit, unable to consider all the possibilities.  A person does not have to be stupid to be wrong.  A person can be intelligent and still wear blinders–a statement with which I am sure you agree.   ;)

My rational basis is simply that I trust my own reason and refuse to disregard it in favor of what an authority figure tells me.  When I am presented with arguments which my reason cannot reject, I reevaluate my beliefs.  But I do not change my beliefs simply because someone told me I should, even if that person is smarter than I am.

Now let me turn that question around: Are you comfortable believing in something simply because smart people told you it was true?  You are well read (better read than I am) and know history.  There have been countless times when the smartest people in a society–those revered and highly paid for their knowledge–were dead wrong about a particular issue.  (Yes, women really are as intelligent as men.  The continents do move.  No, hail is not caused by witches.)  Although the scientific community is most assuredly competent–brilliant–in a general sense, are you sure it is impossible that they could be collectively wrong about something?

---------------

By the way, I really appreciate the civil and respectful attitude in your post.  You're fun to talk to.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:15:03 AM by Mr. Tweedy »

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #54 on: September 19, 2007, 06:29:35 AM
Well, to be honest, in all of my reading on the topic (which has included books written specifically to criticize creationism and books written specifically to popularize evolution and visits to the Chicago Field Museum) I have never encountered a single attempt to prove that the theory of evolution is true.

Um.  I'd start with Darwin's Origin of Species.  Seriously.  Have you read it?  I have.  (Okay, I listened to the unabridged audiobook.)  Obviously some parts of what he said have since been disproven or refined, but he was pretty rigorous in his attempt to offer evidence for everything he said, and to provide logical speculations for observed gaps in the evidence.  If you have criticisms of Darwin's methods, I'd like to hear about them.

That statement is admittedly odd, so I'll say again in an attempt for clarity: I have read lots and lots explaining what evolution might look like, if it really does happen.  But explaining how something might look if it is real is not at all the same thing as proving its reality.  Drawing a detailed and well-organized diagram of what it might look like if an ancestor organism were to evolve into myriad species is not the same as proving that said organism really did any such thing.

Phylogenetic trees built from DNA and protein analysis do nothing for you?  Really?  You find no compelling evidence for common ancestors in the observation that disparate species with highly differing characteristics have a great deal of genetic material in common?  More than they strictly have to?  Or in the striking similarity between "trees of life" built from molecular analysis and trees built from morphological observation?

If this evidence isn't compelling at all, Mr. Tweedy, then I have to wonder exactly what your specific definition of "proof" is, and whether your requirements for it are fully rational and necessary.  In scientific terms, proving a theory usually means constructing a testable hypothesis and determining whether real-world observation is consistent with that hypothesis.  It doesn't always mean experiment; sometimes empirical observation or induction are all that are practical.  Evolution is supported by mountains of empirical observation, at the microscopic and macroscopic level, and there are many testable hypotheses that have been shown to be consistent with it.

It's rarely possible to prove any real-world theory with finality.  There is always the possibility of a better theory later that will replace the current one.  Newton's laws of physics were considered "proven" by experiment after experiment for centuries; but we now know that they're approximations that only work under certain conditions.  At very small or very large scales they fail to predict real observations, and so they have been supplanted by quantum physics and relativity.  Both QP and relativity are considered "proven" in the sense of accurately predicting the results of testable hypotheses, but there are a lot of unknowns in each and they contradict each other in unusual ways.  Yet scientists continue to believe in each.

Do you believe in relativity, Mr. Tweedy?  Do you consider it "proven?" 

What about gravity?  To the current day, no one really understands how gravity works.  Theories abound, but none have been conclusively proven over the other.  Some have testable hypotheses; some do not; and in some cases the testability of the hypotheses is itself in sharp dispute.

In contrast to gravity, there is only one credible scientific theory that explains the multiplicity of species on Earth.  Other theories that have been proposed (yes, I mean ID) are not scientific; they do not produce testable hypotheses.

Are you as skeptical about gravity as you are about evolution?  If not, what would you consider the difference to be?  What might elevate your faith in gravity above your faith in evolution?  Both come down to empirical observation.  Is there anything about the empirical observation of objects moving toward each other in the absence of other forces that might seem more "provable" to you than the empirical observation of disparate species with vast amounts of genetic material in common and morphological similarities that aren't survival advantages?

I am making an example of this particular argument because 1.) it was the evidence which Werethewild presented and 2.) I am not aware that any stronger arguments exist.  Can you point me to an argument that is more definitive than this one, an argument which seeks to prove that evolution is true rather than simply taking as a given that it is?

My objection is that you mischaracterized the source material.  You said that the author claimed to "prove" evolution and that the correlation observed "must have" a direct relationship.  The author said no such thing.  You did.  If you're going to object to contrary evidence, please do so with accuracy.

There is overwhelming evidence that acorns become trees.  I can see the budding acorns.  I can see sprouting acorns on the ground.  I can analyze the DNA of the acorn and the tree and see that it is the same genome.  If I'm patient, I can observe while an acorn grows into a tree.  Observation demonstrates that they are the same species.  If I come upon the tree and the acorn with no preconceptions, then the evidence of my eyes will demonstrate that acorns become trees and trees drop acorns.

Sure.  If you were patient enough and were willing to do all the work required to make those observations.  If you had no reason to connect acorns and trees to begin with, would you consider it a valuable use of your time to watch that acorn for a few months and see what it does? 

Evolutionary biology is the same.  It does, granted, require a lot more patience and work to perform the observations.  But they're there. 

(Back in the Middle Ages, people believed that geese came from barnacles.  The reason?  Similar coloring, and the observation that no one ever saw those geese in summer.  Therefore they must be underwater during that time.  It was a while before someone put in the work to disprove that theory.)

My rational basis is simply that I trust my own reason and refuse to disregard it in favor of what an authority figure tells me.  When I am presented with arguments which my reason cannot reject, I reevaluate my beliefs.  But I do not change my beliefs simply because someone told me I should, even if that person is smarter than I am.

Have you ever, yourself, Mr. Tweedy, watched an acorn to see if it grows into an oak tree?  You just claimed above that it does.  How do you know?  Did you verify it with direct observation?  Or are you believing what an authority figure -- a grade school textbook, perhaps, or a dictionary, or your parents -- told you about acorns?  Is it simply that you were told this, and it doesn't contradict your sense of reason or anything you have observed?

If that's the case, what's different between acorns and evolution?  In both cases, you're being told things by authority figures.  Is there something about evolution that does contradict your sense of reason?  Is there some illogic in it that you perceive that experts don't?  Does it contradict anything you have directly observed?

If it does, please explain.  If it doesn't, why are you insistent on disbelieving evolution and not oak trees?  What is it that bugs you?

Now let me turn that question around: Are you comfortable believing in something simply because smart people told you it was true?

Very often, yes, unless given a reason otherwise.  I can't take the time to prove every single thing for myself.  Now, if I hear something that goes against my own observations, or common sense, or sometimes my instincts, I might investigate further.  Or if I just think it'd be fun to learn more.  But I'm comfortable being told, say, that my car works on internal combustion without taking the engine apart to be sure.  I'd void a lot of warranties if I was an equal skeptic on everything.

You are well read (better read than I am) and know history.  There have been countless times when the smartest people in a society–those revered and highly paid for their knowledge–were dead wrong about a particular issue.  (Yes, women really are as intelligent as men.  The continents do move.  No, hail is not caused by witches.)  Although the scientific community is most assuredly competent–brilliant–in a general sense, are you sure it is impossible that they could be collectively wrong about something?

Of course it's possible, and it happens all the time.  And when they're wrong, eventually contrary evidence comes out and the scientific community -- over a period of many years, with some generational warfare and journal-based bloodshed -- changes its mind.  That's called a paradigm shift.  Kuhn wrote a book about it in 1962.  It remains one of the most effective critiques of science on psychological grounds.  (I.e., that science is performed by people, and despite their best conscious intentions most scientists can't put objectivity first.)

The thing is, though: there is no credible competing evidence right now against evolution.  There's no paradigm shift happening that says evolution is wrong.  Not in the scientific community, anyway.  No one has a better explanation.  There are a lot of mechanisms hotly debated and being studied, and perhaps someday someone will discover something in those debates and studies that will turn all evolutionary theory upside-down.  At the current moment, that would have somewhat more effect in biology than disproving relativity would have in physics.

But it isn't happening right now.  Effectively all biologists believe in evolution, based on their own reason and their observation of the evidence.

I've listened to the authority figures, I've read some books (including Origin of Species), I've examined the evidence to my own satisfaction, and I've come up with no reason to disbelieve evolution.  I see much in the world that is strongly consistent with it, and nothing compellingly inconsistent.  There's a lot of weird stuff in the world -- hell, I grow carnivorous plants, I could talk your ear off about weird stuff -- but nothing that makes me say "Evolution could not possibly explain that."  Rather, the weird stuff only increases my sense of wonder at the way beauty manifests in randomness and reproductive pressure.

So that's what I see.  My sense of reason says that evolution works, and that it's pretty damn cool.  You clearly disagree, not just with me but with the scientific world.  I still have to ask what you know that they don't know, that makes you disbelieve the scientific consensus -- it really is a consensus, not just a majority -- on grounds that you consider rational. 

By the way, I really appreciate the civil and respectful attitude in your post.  You're fun to talk to.

Thanks.  I'm actually having some fun with this too.  I know it's unlikely to go anywhere; but right now I'm not expecting to change your mind so much as I'm simply trying to keep the rhetorical knives sharp.  The exercise itself is engaging, whether or not it achieves anything.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 06:41:10 AM by SFEley »

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #55 on: September 19, 2007, 07:03:01 AM
I guess I'll take this pass.

That statement is admittedly odd, so I'll say again in an attempt for clarity: I have read lots and lots explaining what evolution might look like, if it really does happen.  But explaining how something might look if it is real is not at all the same thing as proving its reality.  Drawing a detailed and well-organized diagram of what it might look like if an ancestor organism were to evolve into myriad species is not the same as proving that said organism really did any such thing.

This analogy might sound flippant, but drawing a detailed anatomical diagram of a dragon does not prove that dragons exist.

Ok, but there is some evidence that strongly supports evolution. Such as Lucy. Such as the entire fossil record.

Furthermore there's the entire Genetics/DNA bit of the evidence puzzle, but I'd rather leave that explanation to someone that knows more about it. But the entirety of known life having DNA sequences in common does tend to suggest to me a common ancestor, albeit far removed.

Evolutionary biologists not drawing a flippin' diagram from that creative bit in their brain, they're filling in the bits that the fossil record hasn't, and possibly won't. They are postulating what might be discovered in that record in the future.

I am making an example of this particular argument because 1.) it was the evidence which Werethewild presented and 2.) I am not aware that any stronger arguments exist.  Can you point me to an argument that is more definitive than this one, an argument which seeks to prove that evolution is true rather than simply taking as a given that it is?

Your problem appears to be with the theory of Universal Common Descent, to which I would point you to Wikipedia, as they have a fairly decent primer on the subject.

Look, you're reading stuff written by biologists. Now, most (and by most let's say about 95-99.9%) believe that evolution is a no-brainer. When they write, they talk about it in those terms, because most of them feel like defending it's kind of like defending the fact that if a rock is thrown up at less than escape velocity, it will fall back down.

There is overwhelming evidence that acorns become trees.  I can see the budding acorns.  I can see sprouting acorns on the ground.  I can analyze the DNA of the acorn and the tree and see that it is the same genome.  If I'm patient, I can observe while an acorn grows into a tree.  Observation demonstrates that they are the same species.  If I come upon the tree and the acorn with no preconceptions, then the evidence of my eyes will demonstrate that acorns become trees and trees drop acorns.

This is not analogous to evolution.  With evolution you are pointing to an acorn and a maple "helicopter" and telling me that, once, a very long time ago, they used to be the same species.  This claim does not arise from observation of the trees themselves and cannot be confirmed by observing them.  If I come upon the maple and the oak with no preconceptions, I will see that they bear many similarities to each other, but I will not find any evidence which compels me to believe that they descend from a common ancestor.

I will, however, find circumstantial evidence that could be interpreted so as to support my preconceptions, whatever my preconceptions happen to be.
I think you missed Steve's point. In our frame of reference we can see the acorn grow from a bud and fall. But what about a mayfly or similar short-lived species? If they were to come across that same tree, how would they know that a few weeks back the acorn was a bud?

Humans live about 60-80 years. Evolution takes place at a much, much slower pace. The last bit of evolution that we've tracked to the human species happened five thousand years ago (becoming lactose tolerant). We've managed to force evolutionary changes at a quicker pace (dogs for a quick example), but for the most part it is a long, slow, process. In the previous example we're the long lived humans. In life, we're even shorter-lived than the mayflies.

Smarter?  Better informed?  Absolutely not.  I don't think I'm the smartest person on this thread, much less in the world.  I do think that I have a clarity of thought afforded by my willingness to disregard any and every idea that I find wanting.  I think that many others–despite being smarter and better informed than I am–are unwilling or, by long habit, unable to consider all the possibilities.  A person does not have to be stupid to be wrong.  A person can be intelligent and still wear blinders–a statement with which I am sure you agree.   ;)

My rational basis is simply that I trust my own reason and refuse to disregard it in favor of what an authority figure tells me.  When I am presented with arguments which my reason cannot reject, I reevaluate my beliefs.  But I do not change my beliefs simply because someone told me I should, even if that person is smarter than I am.

Now let me turn that question around: Are you comfortable believing in something simply because smart people told you it was true?  You are well read (better read than I am) and know history.  There have been countless times when the smartest people in a society–those revered and highly paid for their knowledge–were dead wrong about a particular issue.  (Yes, women really are as intelligent as men.  The continents do move.  No, hail is not caused by witches.)  Although the scientific community is most assuredly competent–brilliant–in a general sense, are you sure it is impossible that they could be collectively wrong about something?

I'd say you're touching on Godwin'ing the thread, but you've previous stated some unfamiliarity with forums and their peculiar bit of subculture. Yes, large groups of people can be very wrong about any number of things. But the fact that a very large group of very smart people have evolution (both micro and macro) as one of the bases of their worldview cannot be considered a strike against it because, well, to evaluate based on that bit of logic is ridiculous. I prize non-conformity as much as the next guy, but in your case you're using it as a means to your end, not an end in and of itself.

We've had this argument here before. I know I'm not going to change your mind. You aren't going to change mine. Perhaps what you say is true, and the right bit of evidence at the right moment would cause you to reevaluate your beliefs.

Logically, I find the likelihood of a single life-form coming into being from chaos and then creating offspring who created offspring to the Nth degree, who over vast quantities of time split into separate species specialized for different tasks that allowed them to live and reproduce, or die off, far more likely that any kind of god/gods/Q coming along and creating all the life that we see here. I'm not sure how that first bit of inanimate matter became animate, though there are certainly theories I find interesting, but I am certain that I have not heard a better explanation of life that avoids the metaphysical.

Edit: Well, that teaches me for thinking that Steve would sleep and thus I could take a break from replying (in a much poorer fashion) to watch the Daily Show.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 07:06:48 AM by Heradel »

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #56 on: September 19, 2007, 10:04:14 AM
Let´s see. First sonic hedgehog is a cool name. There is also a hedgehog gene family member called tiggy-winky. You can have hours of fun going through Flynome and enjoying the names genes have been given (for example kenandbarbie is a gene where the mutants have no genitals). There is a slight misunderstanding in that sonic hedgehog is actually responsible for the polarity of the limb (defining what is front and back) and not for the initial budding of the limb. Limbs forms at boundaries of Hox (homeobox), but that is immaterial right now.

From your post you claim that the only evidence possibly acceptable as evidence of evolution would be to hold a proto-gene in your hand and watch it become sonic hedgehog or a homeobox gene. However you have dismissed observed mutations of genes in fruit fly into genes with new functions as “merely adaptation”.

Your personal redefinition of evolution into two “different” things is incorrect and does nothing except try to muddy the waters. By definition evolution is the change of inherited traits over time. Whether we are talking a timescale we can watch in the lab or not is immaterial, we are talking of exactly the same mechanism. Nowhere has a scientist claimed that what occurs over millennia is any way physically different to what occurs over weeks in a fruit fly. That has been your claim and it is unsubstantiated. Please show me how the two are biologically different.

You disagree with phylogenetic studies – the establishment of relationships based on similarity of the gene – as providing any evidence of common ancestry. Yet you are quite happy to accept that genes change. We´ve seen that in labs and it is these physical observations of mutation methods and rates of change which form part of the basis of phylogenetic analysis. There are many way of analysing phylogenetically, including unrooted trees which just establish how close or distant the gene sequences are from each other and make no claims of age or evolutionary sequence. It assumes nothing more than what has been observed in a lab ie. that genes change over time.

This is a known fact, proven by incredible amounts of hard physical evidence.

You have agreed with this. Therefore I understand you to mean “I accept that genes change but only so far”. So I wish to know where this stopping point is in your idea of genetic change and what the mechanism is that prevents it from continuing.

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #57 on: September 19, 2007, 05:27:45 PM
I'm going to try to respond to all three of these posts, starting at the top and working down.  If I skip something, it's because I think my response to a post higher up already covered that point or just to save time since–astonishingly–my soul-sucking day job is actually keeping me pretty busy today.

Um.  I'd start with Darwin's Origin of Species.  Seriously.  Have you read it?  I have.  (Okay, I listened to the unabridged audiobook.)  Obviously some parts of what he said have since been disproven or refined, but he was pretty rigorous in his attempt to offer evidence for everything he said, and to provide logical speculations for observed gaps in the evidence.  If you have criticisms of Darwin's methods, I'd like to hear about them.

I haven't read The Origin for two reasons 1.) I'm pretty sure I understand what it says and 2.) Darwin's theories have been superseded.  Darwin knew nothing of genetics and believed that physiological changes in an organism could be passed on to its offspring.  I do respect Darwin: He discovered a very important principle of biology, natural selection.  That he grossly overestimated the implications of his discovery is excusable, given the state of biological knowledge at the time.

I suppose I should read it, though, if only because of its historical significance.  (I keep meaning to get around to the Koran too, but it just isn't as fun to read as The Bourne Ultimatum.)

Phylogenetic trees built from DNA and protein analysis do nothing for you?  Really?  You find no compelling evidence for common ancestors in the observation that disparate species with highly differing characteristics have a great deal of genetic material in common?  More than they strictly have to?  Or in the striking similarity between "trees of life" built from molecular analysis and trees built from morphological observation?

No.  Phylogenetic trees prove nothing about origins.  Of course similar organisms have similar genes.  How else could it be?  Of courses humans and chimps have very similar genomes: They are very similar organisms.  Of course humans and bananas have 25% of their genes in common: On the chemical level, a human and a banana tree are doing many of the same things.  This is the only way life could be.  For every organism to have its own utterly unique genome would not only be bizarre and counterintuitive, it would be physically impossible.

Here's an analogy: People all over the world build structures with pointy roofs*.  According to the "tree of life" logic, this is proof that all human structures are variants of a single primordial structure which had a pointed roof.  How else could you explain the similarity?  This is obviously silly: People build pointy buildings because it is a structurally stable design that has the added benefit of shedding rain.  The fact that the same structure is used in multiple places proves nothing about the origin of that structure.  It proves only that said structure works well.  Working well, it is used in many places.

Similarly, if a gene is good at doing a particular thing, it only makes sense that said gene would appear in all organisms that need that thing done.  How else could it be?  Would you expect each organism to have a unique gene to achieve the same end?

*Yes, I know it's really because of the prayer leeches.

Are you as skeptical about gravity as you are about evolution?  If not, what would you consider the difference to be?  What might elevate your faith in gravity above your faith in evolution?

This is complete apples and oranges.  1.) I observe gravity happening every day.  I do not observe evolution.  2.) Newton's theory is easily testable through experiment.  Evolution cannot be so tested.  3.) Newton's theory can be applied to produce accurate predictions about what will happen in the future.  Evolution has no predictive power.

Is there something about evolution that does contradict your sense of reason?

There certainly is: Evolution claims that useful information is spontaneously generated where no information was previously present.  My observation of the universe tells me that this does not happen and my reason tells me that it is not possible.

The thing is, though: there is no credible competing evidence right now against evolution.

That is absolutely irrelevant.  There was once no competing theory about the origin of geese other than that they came from barnacles.  Lack of competition does not prove that a theory is true.

But the fact that a very large group of very smart people have evolution (both micro and macro) as one of the bases of their worldview cannot be considered a strike against it because, well, to evaluate based on that bit of logic is ridiculous.

Don't misunderstand me: I am not saying that wide belief is a strike against it.  I'm saying that wide belief is not evidence that an idea is correct.  (If it were, none of you would have any excuse to be atheists, since most people believe in some kind of godish thingy.)  The number of people who believe or disbelieve in an idea is not proof of anything one way or another.

Your personal redefinition of evolution into two “different” things is incorrect and does nothing except try to muddy the waters. By definition evolution is the change of inherited traits over time. Whether we are talking a timescale we can watch in the lab or not is immaterial, we are talking of exactly the same mechanism. Nowhere has a scientist claimed that what occurs over millennia is any way physically different to what occurs over weeks in a fruit fly. That has been your claim and it is unsubstantiated. Please show me how the two are biologically different.
As I've said, the difference is that in the sort of adaptation we observe in nature, no new information is being created.  Existing genes shuffle, swap functions, become dominant or recessive and sometimes even migrate to other organisms.  But these are all refinements to existing information.  This is distinct from the creation of new information.

All of the information necessary to build a wiener dog is present in a wolf.  Selective breeding brings out the desired traits and suppresses the undesired ones, but no new traits are created in the process.  This is the sort of adaptation that Darwin was smart enough to recognize.  But you cannot breed a dog with tentacles, even if you breed for a billion years, because the information needed to build a tentacle is nowhere present in a dog.  That would be evolution, and that is what I do not believe happens.

---------

Evidence that I would find convincing:
If someone were to describe a method by which a dog with tentacles could be bred–not actually breed one, but simply outline a method as to how it could be done, assuming an immortal breeder who has no limits on time or patience–then I would consider that evidence that evolution could really happen.  That would be a real, credible theory.

----------

Whoa!  I've taken way too long writing this.  I really need to get some work done.  :(

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #58 on: September 19, 2007, 05:53:23 PM
I haven't read The Origin for two reasons 1.) I'm pretty sure I understand what it says and 2.) Darwin's theories have been superseded.  Darwin knew nothing of genetics and believed that physiological changes in an organism could be passed on to its offspring.  I do respect Darwin: He discovered a very important principle of biology, natural selection.  That he grossly overestimated the implications of his discovery is excusable, given the state of biological knowledge at the time.

Unacceptable.  You're claiming that no book you've encountered on evolution ever makes an attempt to prove its case, and here you are deliberately ignoring Exhibit A.  You're wrong about its relevance today.  It doesn't represent everything we know, of course, but it's still fundamental, and what he says remains important.  And when you say "No one's tried to prove..."  Well, you're just flat wrong, and now you're dismissive of the evidence that shows it.

Mr. Tweedy, I haven't read the Bible.  I'm pretty sure I understand what it says, and I believe its theories have been superseded. 

Now.  If I start to tell you, in detail and with examples, everything I think the Bible is wrong about, and you know I haven't read it, will you have as much respect -- or even time -- for my arguments as you might if I had read the Bible?

(In truth, the fact that I haven't read it is one of several reasons why I don't argue about Biblical lore with people.)

...I'll get to the rest later.  Maybe.  I have work to do too, and you're starting to wear down my patience at this time, because more and more you're showing that you're not really thinking about this with an open mind.  You're thinking very selectively, dismissing lines of inquiry because you've decided ahead of time that they won't tell you anything, and totally ignoring correlative evidence in a way that no scientist would.  And then you tell everyone else that the entire scientific community has blinders on, and you're the one who doesn't.

This was fun for a while, at 2 AM when I needed to procrastinate.  It's less fun today. 

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #59 on: September 19, 2007, 06:46:01 PM
Whoa!  Hang on a second!  I thought The Origin had been superseded because Scientific American told me it was.  I assumed they knew what they were talking about.  I've heard from multiple sources that contemporary ideas of evolution have changed enough that The Origin no longer describes them accurately; I'm not trying to avoid evidence.

Your insinuation that I have been systematically ferreting out only those sources which support my preconceptions is both untrue and insulting.  If you're convinced The Origin is so important, I'll check out a copy today and see for myself.  As a matter of fact, I put it on hold just now.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 06:47:50 PM by Mr. Tweedy »

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #60 on: September 19, 2007, 07:00:25 PM
In all writings sympathetic to evolution, the theory is simply assumed to be true without requiring any proof.

That's really silly. Go read biological papers. If you lack the training, gain it -- or, alternately, confess your ignorance.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #61 on: September 19, 2007, 07:01:01 PM
You said that nothing you had read on evolution (which, if I understand your accounts correctly, consists primarily of layman's distillations and rhetorical platforms) ever made an attempt to prove its hypotheses.  That is the specific point to which I was speaking in recommending the book.

I'm not saying that everything in OoS is right.  I'm saying it's important, and I'm saying that Darwin made a consistent and rigorous effort to prove his hypotheses with real evidence.

If you read it, and you still say that no biologist in your experience (including Darwin) has ever tried to prove their claims, we'll talk further.  And if the Scientific American article to which you're referring actually said that Darwin's work is no longer relevant, and no longer important reading, please give me a citation.  You've mischaracterized other people's words before in this thread, and that's one I will want to check out for myself.

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #62 on: September 19, 2007, 07:04:26 PM
Ugh, PZ on Pharyngula posts entries like every other day explaining the workings of evolution. Admittedly, he thinks creationists are fools, so it would a pretty toxic atmosphere for you. But you can't claim that the material's not there, any more than I can claim that no one writes theology.

Stephen Jay Gould is an *excellent* starting point on learning how evolution works. He even has a theory of separate magisteria that provides an out for the religious, so that atmosphere is more conducive to those of you who are religious. Gould writes about the history of scientific theory in a very approachable way.

Or you could start with Bill Bryson.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom
Reply #63 on: September 19, 2007, 07:08:13 PM
You people all need to relax a bit. 

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #64 on: September 19, 2007, 07:16:54 PM
And if the Scientific American article to which you're referring actually said that Darwin's work is no longer relevant, and no longer important reading, please give me a citation.

No, it did not say it was irrelevant; SciAm speaks of OoS only with the deepest reverence.  It said that OoS has been superseded by later theory and does not describe evolution as it is understood today, primarily because we know about DNA and Darwin didn't.

Which is what I said in the first place.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #65 on: September 19, 2007, 07:22:27 PM
No, it did not say it was irrelevant; SciAm speaks of OoS only with the deepest reverence.  It said that OoS has been superseded by later theory and does not describe evolution as it is understood today, primarily because we know about DNA and Darwin didn't.

Just read it.  If, afterwards, you believe your statement that no book on evolution you've ever read has tried to prove its claims remains true, tell me.  And we'll discuss that.

As Palimpsest says, you have to read the science to get the proof.  Not all the metahoopla about the science.  If you feel that no one's trying to prove anything, you're looking in all the wrong places.

wherethewild

• Matross
Reply #66 on: September 19, 2007, 08:31:18 PM
You look at lobsters and dogs and say “But they look really different and there´s no dogster around to prove that they are related”. You do say “I accept that change happens” but you cannot accept that – as a wow! brand new idea!- CHANGE CAUSES THINGS TO ACTUALLY CHANGE. And the biggest point:

Lots of little changes over a long period of time can result in big changes.

But the mechanism underlying that is still the little changes which WE CAN PROVE ABSOLUTELY OCCUR.

You still have not explained why you reject unequivocally that this could possibly be the case.

Much as I´m getting rather sick of analogies, and feeling they´re beginning to make things blurry, here´s my attempt at one.

We start with a gene. Over a while, within a population there´s a bunch of different mutations. Most aren´t viable, some make no difference, some are advantageous. The advantageous one appears more in the population, itself undergoes a minor mutation which also is advantageous and so on and so on and so on (we all get this). So now to my analogy: word morphs.

We start with OOZE and, simply by switching one letter at a time we produce DOGS.

OOZE-DOZE-DONE-DONS-DOGS.

Not immediately obvious or necessarily logic to the layman thinker that these two could be connected, but they are. And if on the path to dog a different letter change occurs we might get fowl.

Here´s an even more complicated web of word morph possibilities, including Russell as everyone´s favourite outlier.

ooze         
                    |         
                 doze         
   /         /         |                     \      
dome      dole   done               daze   
   |         |         |                       |     \
dime      doll      dons               raze    dale
   |         |         |        \           |       |
rime      boll      dogs    dots      rage       bale
  |        |                     |           |       |
rise      bowl                cots       rags     base
  |        |                     |           |       |
wise      fowl              cats       rugs    bash
  |                                        |       |
wish                                     bugs   nash
  |               
fish               

So you look at the current species and think “Look! Fish and bugs are completely different! And you can´t tell me otherwise because, well, just look at them!”

But there are some older species still around (in bold). There the relationship is clearer. For example BASH is very clearly related to NASH (and explains the other discussion thread going on). Also, genetics gives us the tools to examine and discover that the S in dogs and cats is extraordinarily similar. Or that the D´s in doll, dots and dale are also.

Now here´s the second point from this. Clearly fish and fowl are very very different. But at what point did they become very very different? It certainly wasn´t doze becoming dome or dole – at this time both possibilities were just a single change from the parental type. What about dime then? Well hang on, that´s just a single change from it´s parental type. And rime is very similar to dime and so is rise to rime. But hang on. Now we have doze and rime. Are these different enough to be new species? If so where was the border? Which change was the one that made it something completely new?

This is what you´re asking and the answer is THE SUM OF THEM.

And this is the point that you are completely ignoring. You seem to think that genetic change happens in a little circle where it changes to a point, but not enough to make it physiologically different. You accept genetic change as fact but reject that it actually changes anything. And you want clearly defined borders. You want: This point RIGHT HERE is where it became something ASTOUNDINGLY new.

If that WAS the case it would be called Intelligent Design.

1.) I observe gravity happening every day.  I do not observe evolution. 

Every scientist working with fruit flys has. That you decide to call it something else does not change the fact that it IS evolution. You are deliberately misleading yourself.

As I've said, the difference is that in the sort of adaptation we observe in nature, no new information is being created.  Existing genes shuffle, swap functions, become dominant or recessive and sometimes even migrate to other organisms.  But these are all refinements to existing information.  This is distinct from the creation of new information.

All of the information necessary to build a wiener dog is present in a wolf.  Selective breeding brings out the desired traits and suppresses the undesired ones, but no new traits are created in the process.  This is the sort of adaptation that Darwin was smart enough to recognize.  But you cannot breed a dog with tentacles, even if you breed for a billion years, because the information needed to build a tentacle is nowhere present in a dog.  That would be evolution, and that is what I do not believe happens.

How on earth do you know this? Can you really predict what mutations may occur to what genes and what long reaching effects they may have? The genes responsible for beginning limb development are in ALL METAZOANS, from jelly fish onwards regardless of their limb count. The ground material is absolutely there, all ready. How do YOU know that we aren´t a transition state between an ape and something completely different? How can you predict that ooze won´t, absolutely not, no way in hell could it possibly, turn into fish?

I´ve given you examples of genes EVOLVING NEW FUNCTIONS (eg. the drosophila paper earlier in the thread) and you´ve agreed with them. So I´m left to assume it is deliberate blindness on your part, or a total failure to be able to think things through without your religious blinkers on (no matter what you claim about your superior ability to be impartial). Or you´ve read a little too much Behe because some of your statements sound like direct quotes from Darwin´s Black Box or Edge of Evolution. In which case, I shall point you in the direction of this cutdown to Behe´s completely false statements about HIV, and further proof that genes DO develop absolutely new functions (and you know what? genes are going to keep doing it regardless of your opinion on the matter or how much you want to define your own vocabulary around them):
http://endogenousretrovirus.blogspot.com/2007/08/michael-behe-please-allow-me-to.html

As I´m leaving soon I probably won´t be able to reply to this thread. I´m left with the impression that you are squeezing your eyes closed, have your fingers stuck in your ears and are singing very loudly in order to ignore everything that could possibly make you question your correctness.

In fact, I think you´ve managed to directly copy Behe again:

He was presented with fifty eight peer-reviewed publications, nine books, and several immunology textbook chapters about the evolution of the immune system; however, he simply insisted that this was still not sufficient evidence of evolution, and that it was not “good enough.” (23:19 (Behe)).
(Dover court case ruling, pg78 http://www.pamd.uscourts.gov/kitzmiller/kitzmiller_342.pdf)

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #67 on: September 19, 2007, 09:07:18 PM
I'm flattered you went to the trouble to draw out that cool diagram for me, but it wasn't necessary.  I could have drawn it for myself.

Incidentally, your link raised the total number of Behe sentences I have read from 0 to 7.  I'm not sure who Behe is, so I can't really comment on whether he and I think the same things.  Maybe I'll pick up one of his books after I finish The Origin of Species.

Anyway, I think I'm going to say "I give up."  This isn't feeling very fun anymore, and I suspect it is also pointless.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #68 on: September 20, 2007, 05:40:00 AM
Um Steve i question gravity more than evolution. Not that gravity exist but i question its constancy.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #69 on: September 20, 2007, 05:41:39 AM
Ok im kinda new hear and i may have missed the definition phase of this contest so pleas define evolution for me. In the context of this argument.

Russell Nash

Reply #70 on: September 20, 2007, 04:21:01 PM
Using Mr.Tweedy's standard of proof I'm going to decide next week whether or not Yahweh exists.  I have invited him to a poker game at my place.  If he shows up and is able to describe how he made the world while winning twenty hands in a row, I'll think about maybe believing he exists.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #71 on: September 20, 2007, 04:44:21 PM
I doubt it

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #72 on: September 20, 2007, 04:47:36 PM
Using Mr.Tweedy's standard of proof I'm going to decide next week whether or not Yahweh exists.  I have invited him to a poker game at my place.  If he shows up and is able to describe how he made the world while winning twenty hands in a row, I'll think about maybe believing he exists.

I cannot use science to prove that God exists: I never claimed that I could.

You're obviously just making fun of me, but I will point out that your proposed experiment means nothing.  If Yahweh doesn't show up for poker, it could mean either 1.) He doesn't exist or 2.) He has declined to participate in your experiment.  You have no empirical means of determining whether 1 or 2 is correct and consequently your experiment yields no meaningful results.

Russell Nash

Reply #73 on: September 20, 2007, 06:18:23 PM

I cannot use science to prove that God exists: I never claimed that I could.

You're obviously just making fun of me, but I will point out that your proposed experiment means nothing.  If Yahweh doesn't show up for poker, it could mean either 1.) He doesn't exist or 2.) He has declined to participate in your experiment.  You have no empirical means of determining whether 1 or 2 is correct and consequently your experiment yields no meaningful results.

I never said I was trying to disprove her.  I just said that it is possible I could be convinced.  I'm trying to keep an open mind.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #74 on: September 20, 2007, 06:34:41 PM
um are either of you going to answer my question?

i did like the Her jab :)

Russell Nash

Reply #75 on: September 20, 2007, 06:37:04 PM
um are either of you going to answer my question?

i did like the Her jab :)

I'm staying out of the evolution fight this time.  Three times is enough for me. 

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #76 on: September 20, 2007, 07:10:28 PM
We were talking about faith in Philosophy class today, in the context of when the concept of faith started existing, as you can't really say the Ancient Greeks had faith—evidence of their gods constantly surrounded them.

I'm going to say that faith exists only when there are two opposing worldviews, one metaphysical(religion), one physical(science), and a person makes the decision to believe in the metaphysical rather than the physical. You can argue that faith/belief applies just as much to the scientific worldview, but faith required as absence of evidence, which science has gobs of, granted in very arcane forms in some areas.

Now, most people aren't going to have a working knowledge of the ins and outs of evolutionary theory. I certainly don't. I know the basics, but biology isn't  my strong suit, and so I trust biologists. And I trust them, because I know there is peer review, and if I really wanted to I could go and perform the experiments they performed to check their conclusions.

I know that I don't know these things. I know I could study hard and work hard to know them, but I have a finite amount of time on this earth, and other things interest me more. I assume/believe that biology as an establishment is honest, because I know the rules by which it functions and find that they are designed to end up with theories that are based in experimental truths. Not all theories shake out, but evolution has been around for a long time. It's been attacked and examined and bits have changed since Darwin, yet in all those years no other theory has disproved it, or superseded it.

Human knowledge is incremental. Origin of Species's main conclusions (quoted below, from the wikipedia summary), are a little different from evolutionary theory today. If you want a brief rundown on the differences I'd point you to the Talk Origins page here. They basically boil down to adding genetics in, and recognizing that Natural Selection isn't the only mechanism of evolution, and that there may be another one that is about as important.

In short, evolutionary theory is different today. But it's more along the lines of an addition being built onto an old house rather than a complete demolish and rebuild.

1. Species have great fertility. They have more offspring than can grow to adulthood.
2. Populations remain roughly the same size, with small changes.
3. Food resources are limited, but are relatively stable over time.
4. An implicit struggle for survival ensues.
5. In sexually reproducing species, generally no two individuals are identical.
6. Some of these variations directly impact the ability of an individual to survive in a given environment.
7. Much of this variation is inheritable.
8. Individuals less suited to the environment are less likely to survive and less likely to reproduce, while individuals more suited to the environment are more likely to survive and more likely to reproduce.
9. The individuals that survive are most likely to leave their inheritable traits to future generations.
10. This slowly effected process results in populations that adapt to the environment over time, and ultimately, after interminable generations, the creations of new varieties, and ultimately, new species.

Ok im kinda new hear and i may have missed the definition phase of this contest so pleas define evolution for me. In the context of this argument.

It's not that structured a debate, it was never defined.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #77 on: September 20, 2007, 07:38:07 PM
if its not defind the everybody is right and everybody is wrong

so I WINN!!!!!!

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #78 on: September 20, 2007, 08:39:03 PM

Or to be more precise: definitions were offered, but none were agreed on by all participants.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #79 on: September 20, 2007, 08:52:32 PM
so do i still win?

Mr. Tweedy

• Lochage
  • I am a sloth.
    • Free Mode
Reply #80 on: September 20, 2007, 09:14:18 PM

Or to be more precise: definitions were offered, but none were agreed on by all participants.

To be more precise: Everyone agreed on what "evolution" means, but one person (me) wanted to define "adaptation" as a second, distinct, idea.  No one else accepted this distinction.

Wherethewild's "word morphs" analogy was a very accurate and concise description of evolution.

We start with a gene. Over a while, within a population there´s a bunch of different mutations. Most aren´t viable, some make no difference, some are advantageous. The advantageous one appears more in the population, itself undergoes a minor mutation which also is advantageous and so on and so on and so on (we all get this). So now to my analogy: word morphs.

We start with OOZE and, simply by switching one letter at a time we produce DOGS.

OOZE-DOZE-DONE-DONS-DOGS.

Not immediately obvious or necessarily logic to the layman thinker that these two could be connected, but they are. And if on the path to dog a different letter change occurs we might get fowl.

Here´s an even more complicated web of word morph possibilities, including Russell as everyone´s favourite outlier.

ooze         
                    |         
                 doze         
   /         /         |                     \      
dome      dole   done               daze   
   |         |         |                       |     \
dime      doll      dons               raze    dale
   |         |         |        \           |       |
rime      boll      dogs    dots      rage       bale
  |        |                     |           |       |
rise      bowl                cots       rags     base
  |        |                     |           |       |
wise      fowl              cats      rugs    bash
  |                                        |       |
wish                                     bugs   nash
  |               
fish               

Unless someone offered a definition that I missed, that's what all of us mean by it.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #81 on: September 20, 2007, 11:49:17 PM
To be more precise: Everyone agreed on what "evolution" means, but one person (me) wanted to define "adaptation" as a second, distinct, idea.  No one else accepted this distinction.
Due to most common definitions of evolution encompassing physical adaptations.

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #82 on: September 21, 2007, 01:11:08 AM
So are we just debating  physical adaptation,
or are we arguing origins ?

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #83 on: September 21, 2007, 02:12:27 AM
So are we just debating  physical adaptation,
or are we arguing origins ?

Personally, I was hoping to talk more about Invisible Pink Unicorns.  But I think we got off the actual subject line of this thread pretty quick.  >8>

swdragoon

• Peltast
    • friends hating friends
Reply #84 on: September 21, 2007, 02:18:07 AM
are thay as cool as invisable blue ducks?
or as powerfull as santa claws?

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #85 on: September 21, 2007, 07:15:20 PM
I'm all for hearing more about IPUs!

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #86 on: September 21, 2007, 07:19:31 PM

What do you want to know? 

They already know all about you, so clearly they have no need to start the discussion with questions.

robertmarkbram

• Palmer
    • The Blog for Rob
Reply #87 on: September 21, 2007, 07:31:12 PM
We were talking about faith in Philosophy class today, in the context of when the concept of faith started existing, as you can't really say the Ancient Greeks had faith—evidence of their gods constantly surrounded them.

I'm going to say that faith exists only when there are two opposing worldviews, one metaphysical(religion), one physical(science), and a person makes the decision to believe in the metaphysical rather than the physical. You can argue that faith/belief applies just as much to the scientific worldview, but faith required as absence of evidence, which science has gobs of, granted in very arcane forms in some areas.

Hmm...

2007 B.C.
Layman: "Ooh, what is that rumbling sound, and those lights in the sky?"
Priest: "That is THOR! The rumbling is Thor dragging chairs over the Big Wooden Floorboards in The Clouds. The lights are Thor throwing his hammer because he is angry!"
Layman: "Oh. That sounds about right."
Priest: "Thor is a mighty god - he demands 2 gold pieces as a sacrifice!"
Layman: "Ok, here they are. So, why are our years going down anyway, and who is this Christ?"

2007 A.D.
Layman: "So how do you figure that the Tunguska event was really a primordial black hole that even now might be orbiting within the Earth.. and can it really be used to change the past?"
Scientist/Newsagent/Geek: "One of those is just an alternative theory to the air burst of a large meteoroid and the other is a brilliant (free) podcast novel by Bill DeSmedt!"
Layman: "Oh. That sounds about right."
Scientist/Newsagent/Geek: "Podibooks.com is free but you should donate! And this New Geeky Scientist magazine costs $5"
Layman: "Ok, here's the money. I am so glad our years are going up, it makes much more sense, but what do dominoes have to do with it?"

Sounds like the same leap of faith to me, delivered with an expert wit, if I don't say so myself.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #88 on: September 21, 2007, 07:43:04 PM

What do you want to know? 

They already know all about you, so clearly they have no need to start the discussion with questions.

Why are we here?  What's the meaning of life?  Why don't they have a podcast all of their own?  And how come you know they're pink if they're invisible?  (I'm pretty sure you've stated the last, somewhere, I just can't remember where...)

You know, the basics.

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #89 on: September 21, 2007, 10:56:54 PM
You guys better be reverential with the pink unicorns.

If anyone draws a picture of one I'm going to start burning flags and chopping heads.

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #90 on: September 21, 2007, 11:01:01 PM
You guys better be reverential with the pink unicorns.

If anyone draws a picture of one I'm going to start burning flags and chopping heads.

Uh oh.
|                              |
|                              |
|_______________|

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
Reply #91 on: September 21, 2007, 11:04:19 PM
Dude, if I keep staring at it, I can almost see it...

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #92 on: September 21, 2007, 11:11:45 PM
all hail the IPU!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Heradel

• Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #93 on: September 21, 2007, 11:48:32 PM
Dude, if I keep staring at it, I can almost see it...

But verily, the IPU is such that it cannot be contained within any such mortal contraption, and if one stares at any blank surface — is that not enough to see the glory that is the Invisible Pink Unicorn?

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #94 on: September 22, 2007, 03:44:15 AM
None of you guys is a redhead, right?  Because I, as a believer in the Invisible Pink Unicorn, find redheads a filthy, amoral, abomination.  Why don't they just dye their hair?  Try asking the next redhead you see that one.  They never have an answer.

Then hang them. 

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #95 on: September 22, 2007, 04:14:12 AM
Why are we here?

Because you registered for an account.

What's the meaning of life?

A temporary local reversal of entropy, culminating in philosophical questions which reestablish entropy by their pointlessness.

Why don't they have a podcast all of their own?

They do.  But you have to know how to decipher the code.

And how come you know they're pink if they're invisible?  (I'm pretty sure you've stated the last, somewhere, I just can't remember where...)

"Invisible Pink Unicorns are beings of great spiritual power. We know this because they are capable of being invisible and pink at the same time. Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them."

See everyone's favorite infallible reference site for more.

ajames

• Lochage
Reply #96 on: October 06, 2007, 03:22:43 AM
Are religion and science compatible?

To me, religion is concerned with the great mysteries of life.  The institutions of religion, on the other hand, are often concerned with power.

Science, too, is concerned with the great mysteries of life, but its institutions are also often concerned with power, prestige, wealth, and their own continued existence.

The approaches of religion and science are very different.  They are compatible, however, if you understand how their approaches differ, and work with them both.

Personally, in answering most questions, I think the approach science takes has many advantages.  But I believe there is still room for both religion and science, and I'd hate to contemplate life without religion.

Though I must admit I have much more interest in and respect for religions that celebrate the great mysteries than those that attempt or claim to answer them.  "The way that can be spoken of is not the eternal way."  Therein lies wisdom.