Author Topic: Wheel of time  (Read 6621 times)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
on: September 17, 2007, 11:36:16 PM
With Robert Jordan's passing who has been caught with an unfinished series?  It's one I always was meaning to get around to, and then started seeing more compliants that he was never gonna finish it.  Unfortunately he succombed to his disease.  Is the series worth checking out, especially now knowing it is unfinished and the author deceased?

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 12:32:16 AM
I'm not a fan of the books.

However, the final book was about half-finished according to the (possibly unreliable) buzz. I'm sure someone (his wife?) will finish it, and it will be released.

Kurt Faler

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 12:35:47 AM
I would wait and see if the last book gets finished. Then start on them when you have nothing else on your reading list. The first 4 or so books are great but they start going down hill after that, so if you take the series as a whole i would give it a 4/10.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 12:46:49 PM
I'm not a fan of the books.

However, the final book was about half-finished according to the (possibly unreliable) buzz. I'm sure someone (his wife?) will finish it, and it will be released.

Maybe Kevin J. Anderson will get in on it.  People seem pleased with his continuation of the Dune series.  I for one never read them.

An uncharitable, grumpy reaction to Jordan's death.  (Not written by me.)

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 10:39:48 PM
I read the story of Moiraine and Lan's "meet cute" in Legends when it came out and enjoyed it, read the first book several years ago, and then was stuck because I couldn't find the second one in the library. Finally was able to borrow it from someone last year. Too much on my plate to continue at the moment.

The sheer length of the series (what, eleven books multiplied by 600 pages each?) is intimidating me from continuing it immediately. Is there really that much story to be flogged from Rand's life?

Several people have complained of the writing that I know, but I found the ones I've read fairly captivating. They're not my favorites, but I enjoyed them.

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

birdless

• Lochage
  • Five is right out.
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 07:04:13 PM
I picked up one of these books shortly after reading a Terry Brooks book. I, personally, can't stand Terry Brooks books. So, comparatively, Jordan's books are much better.

But regardless, I've enjoyed his series okay. It's not phenomenal, it's not great, but it's okay. It was okay enough for me to read the first 8 books (just haven't gotten around to purchasing the others). Put it this way: I wouldn't buy this in hardcover, but I'll buy the paperback when I can't find something else. It's like an old pair of shoes: they aren't the best looking things in the world, but they're pretty comfortable.

One of my main complaints is how annoying some of his female characters are, and even more so when there is a romantic relationship between main male and female characters.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 09:48:09 PM
All I know about Robert Jordan came from a review of the Wheel of Time game in a years-old issue of PC Gamer.  The reviewer (T. Liam McDonald, IIRC) gave the game a favorable review but also included a sidebar about Jordan's writing in which he had nothing good to say at all.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising