Author Topic: Poll: Evolution or ID  (Read 13692 times)

Russell Nash

Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 06:19:28 PM
Did the zombies evolve or were they created by some sort of intelligence?
If they are the result of a virus, did that evolve or was it created?  If it was created by humans does that imply ID for zombies? 

What about the zombies?
For the love of God, will someone please think of the zombies?!

I'm pretty sure Zombies are the result of either ID (Intelligent Design) or UD (intentional Disaster).

On this one my vote would be UD.  I'm sure the hunger for brains was caused by researchers trying to instill a hunger for knowledge.  The zombies are just trying to be a little too direct.

FNH

• Matross
  • F Napoleon H
    • Black Dog Of Doom

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 12:20:49 AM
Did the zombies evolve or were they created by some sort of intelligence?
If they are the result of a virus, did that evolve or was it created?  If it was created by humans does that imply ID for zombies? 

What about the zombies?
For the love of God, will someone please think of the zombies?!

I'm pretty sure Zombies are the result of either ID (Intelligent Design) or UD (intentional Disaster).

On this one my vote would be UD.  I'm sure the hunger for brains was caused by researchers trying to instill a hunger for knowledge.  The zombies are just trying to be a little too direct.
i think this might make a great short story.  AFTER the zombie apocalypse, when everyone is a zombie, they try to reason who made them, and end up with some crazy religion.  it would be funny no?
all hail the great t-virus!

"And Steve did slay the great Alice with his mighty jaw, and it was tasty.  And her brains did staineth the floor, and she did cometh back to 'life' by the grace that is the Lord our Virus."

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Russell Nash

Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 03:44:17 PM
Now that the poll is over I have a question.  For the five of you who voted "none of the above" what do you believe? 

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 07:44:45 PM
Since I would have voted "none of the above", I'll take that one.

Basically, I don't understand the point of all of the debate over it.  By definition, Evolutionary THEORY is not proven.  I would suggest that if we wanted to be completely rigorous about definitions, you might only really be able to call it the Hypothesis of Evolution.  There are two reasons I say that: 1) too many personal reputations and preconceived notions have driven the research, and 2) there is no way to gather conclusive proof in sight.

That said, there is plenty of room for speculation.  If you want to believe that God created the world, and used Evolution as a tool to do so, I don't see how anyone could rule that out... but it's not science.  If you want to believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, well... watch out for the pirates.  I think there is room for intelligent design within the realm of science if evidence comes up that can support it.  But that hasn't happened, yet.

And since most people using the term seem to think that popular support for the idea that "someone" might have caused the universe gives them the right to use Intelligent Designtm as a tool for some kind of political gain... I won't sign on with that team, either.  It might be fun to speculate about it, but it shouldn't drive public education policy, especially at a time when we are so lacking in critical thinking skills as it is.

But what bothers me about all of the yelling is this: does it really matter how we got here, or what each of us believes about it?  This issue is such a small part of what science is about, and yet, we've wasted how many decades arguing about it?  I think everyone needs to unbend about the whole thing and work on problems that can reasonably be solved in our lifetimes.

Like how to grow a prehensile tail... I could USE one of them!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #30 on: October 20, 2007, 07:46:48 PM
There is no great scientist conspiracy against religion. 

LOL  :D  Okay, you made me laugh.  Scientist conspiracy--that's pretty good.

I knew I'd regret posting before waiting a bit, and I do. ...

Sorry if I echoed parts of this post; I must have missed it when I first scanned through the thread, looking for un-covered territory!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 10:22:26 PM
actually, im a scientist, and there is a conspiracy.
you can probably also ask Brandt, hes a scientist of Awesomeology.
he'll back me up.  ask any scientist, and if they dont tell you outright, a little "persuasion" will make em say what ya want.

there's a conspiracy.
dates back to Leonardo DaVinci, in his Last Supper painting, and i'll leave it at that.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 11:23:02 PM
actually, im a scientist, and there is a conspiracy.
you can probably also ask Brandt, hes a scientist of Awesomeology.
he'll back me up.  ask any scientist, and if they dont tell you outright, a little "persuasion" will make em say what ya want.

there's a conspiracy.
dates back to Leonardo DaVinci, in his Last Supper painting, and i'll leave it at that.

a little "persuasion" usually known as lots of beer or a bottle of expensive liquor.  I swear almost all of my scientist professors and TA's were bribeable with alcohol.  Especially in the Chemistry department.  My one organic chem TA used to talk about how one of the bars in the area had to call him a cab almost every Friday night.  It's another reason why engineers have that "engineer shape"