Author Topic: CoW Ep. 270: Banned Books Week – Bibliopothecary  (Read 2642 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: September 27, 2017, 05:39:11 PM
Banned Books Week – Bibliopothecary

• by Dani Atkinson
• Narrated by M.K. Hobson
• Audio production by Jeremy Carter
A Cast of Wonders original!
Read along with the text of the story
Click here to listen to Episode 270

Dani Atkinson is a writer and artist in Alberta, Canada. She’s bounced around doing day jobs ranging from English teacher in Japan to ice cream parlour clerk in the Canadian rockies. Between day jobs she writes stories, comics, plays, poetry, and a worrisome number of traditional murder ballads that have been rewritten so the girl comes back and eats everyone and it’s a zombie ballad now. Her short fiction has appeared in Daily Science Fiction. You can follow her online.

M. K. Hobson is a writer extraordinaire whose work has appeared in many publications such as Realms of Fantasy, The Magazine of Science Fiction and Fantasy, Interzone and Sybil’s Garage. Her debut novel The Native Star was published to critical acclaim in September 2010 by Ballantine Spectra. She can be heard frequently on PodCastle, both as guest host and narrator, and has long been a beloved part of the Escape Artists family. Follow her online or on Twitter.

The Bibliopothecary was writing out the contraindications on the labels for the dystopian sci-fi when Gretchen stepped up to the counter on her first visit.
"Do not consume a second title in this genre less than three days after finishing," the Bibliopothecary wrote in swooping black letters. "Do not take Orwell with Huxley. Recommended consume one work of optimistic space opera to alleviate possible side effects of hopelessness and fear of the future." Gretchen waited for the Bibliopothecary to finish before clearing her throat.

Tags: apothecary, Atwell, Banned Books Week 2017, Canadian literature, Cast of Wonders, Dani Atkinson, dialogue, diversity, Huxley, Jeremy Carter, M K Hobson, malaise, Octavia Butler, Orwell, romance novels, self care, Texts Against Tyranny, Young Adult fiction

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 04:45:34 AM
I know this story was deliberately poking my book-loving soft spots, but I don't care. I really enjoyed this one.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”