Author Topic: EP596: The Wind You Touch When You Run  (Read 4431 times)

eytanz

on: October 06, 2017, 03:31:50 PM
Escape Pod 596: The Wind You Touch When You Run

AUTHOR: James Beamon
NARRATOR: Dominick Rabrun
HOST: Mur Lafferty
---

This pursuit starts as they all start, going after the Underground Railroad. It will end as it always ends, with us feeding the Minotaur. The in-between is where I tell tales.

I wipe sweat from my eyes while my son Langston squints under the blue-white light of this alien sun, scanning the swollen green and purple foliage for signs of recent human passage. He points his machete at a fresh boot print obscured by dense undergrowth. We pick up pursuit, south. It reminds me of a little-known facet of my favorite story.

“The original Underground Railroad ran south to Spanish controlled Florida a lot longer than it ran north,” I tell Langston. “I’m talking more than two hundred years, going as far back as the fifteen hundreds, and lasting until well after the Revolution.”

“Unless your railroad story leads to Talya, I’m not interested, Saul.”

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 11:38:10 PM
This was BRUTAL. Langston is a shitbag and the future is bleak. I want to know more about this world.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 01:44:55 PM
This was not a fun story to listen to and I don't know if I got the deeper message it was trying to send.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 07:11:44 AM
I actually really liked this story. It was very bleak, but it had more hope than the recent EP 594: The Spice Portrait. And this one got me to care about the characters.
Personally, I think the deeper message of this story is that sometimes you need to fight for your freedom, even if the people you have to fight are your loved ones....

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:42:57 PM
Anyone have any more good stories about the WW1 gentleman? I knew about the Harlem Hellfighters and have red a handful of things including the Max Brooks graphic novel. But this one was new to me.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”