Author Topic: PC493: The Fall Shall Further the Flight In Me  (Read 2231 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: October 25, 2017, 05:21:47 PM
PodCastle 493: The Fall Shall Further the Flight In Me

by Rachael K. Jones
read by Tina Connolly

Previously published in Clockwork Phoenix 5

Rated PG-13.

There are things that fly and things that fall. You must remember this distinction, because they are not the same.

Devils are flying things that learn to fall. Lovers are falling things that learn to fly. Do not confuse them.

Click here to continue reading.

Rachael K. Jones grew up in various cities across Europe and North America, picked up (and mostly forgot) six languages, and acquired several degrees in the arts and sciences. Now she writes speculative fiction in Portland, Oregon. Contrary to the rumors, she is probably not a secret android. Rachael is a World Fantasy Award nominee, Tiptree Award honoree, and winner of Writers of the Future. Her fiction has appeared in dozens of venues worldwide, including Lightspeed, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Strange Horizons, and all four Escape Artists podcasts. Follow her on Twitter @RachaelKJones.

Tina Connolly is the author of the Ironskin and Seriously Wicked series, and the collection On the Eyeball Floor and Other Stories, which is currently nominated for a World Fantasy Award. Her novels have been finalists for the Nebula and the Norton. She co-hosts Escape Pod, narrates for Beneath Ceaseless Skies and all four Escape Artists podcasts, and runs Toasted Cake. Find her at tinaconnolly.com.

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 10:22:53 PM
This was enthralling. It felt kind of like a parable, filled with wings and thorns and roses. I had to read the text right after, I definitely recommend that, though Tina is a wonderful narrator every time.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

irishlazz

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:36:57 AM
I loved this one from the title alone.  The story did not disappoint.  I found I had to stop what I was doing a few times to let my mind fully visualize the narrative.  "Falling  is not always failing."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." A.Einstein