Author Topic: PseudoPod 578: Alarm Will Sound  (Read 4169 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: January 22, 2018, 11:51:57 AM
PseudoPod 578: Alarm Will Sound

by Christopher Shultz
Narrated by Alasdair Stuart

Show Notes

As mentioned by Alasdair:

Art Bell - The Frantic Caller
https://youtu.be/ee3bld4lTG0

The Peoria Plague
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXt0GEave-s

Uncanny County - The Boy Who Cried Martian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee3bld4lTG0

The Hugo Awards have these things they call nominations tallys but they are commonly referred to as The Long Lists. These include the top fifteen nominees, and show who just missed making the finals. For example, Escape Pod, PodCastle, and Mothership Zeta all made the long list last year for Semiprozine.

One of the great values of these long lists is that it allows readers even more excellent works to add to their “to read” pile. David Steffen has worked to make mining those lists significantly more convenient for you. For the third year in a row, David has published a volume of The Long List Anthology. In this most recent version are included works from names familiar to fans of Escape Artists. Lavie Tidhar, Ursula Vernon, Caroline M. Yoachim, and Ken Liu, among a host of amazing others.

Want to know what sort of story makes it to this anthology? Go listen to episode 607 of Escape Pod and catch Red in Tooth and Cog by Cat Rambo. Been procrastinating picking up Hammers on Bone by Cassandra Khaw or Run Time by Escape Pod’s S.B. Divya? This anthology will assuage your guilt. You can find The Long List Anthology Volume 3 at all the usual purveyors of books. If you’re already the proud owner of this book, become a subscribing supporter of Diabolical Plots which is also edited by David Steffen. Subscribing there puts you in line early for not only the ebooks of the original stories published in Diabolical Plots, but also gets you in line early for The Long List Anthology Volume 4. Go support this fantastically creative human being.

And we’re back. This is hour two of Talk it Out. I’m your host, Gabrielle Esposito. If you’re just tuning in, in our first hour on the air we talked at length with Mary from Poughkeepsie, New York, who has been having suicidal thoughts. She was able to talk through a lot of what’s been bothering her, and I think overall we left things in a good place.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Michael W. Cho

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 06:26:57 AM
Pretty creepy. Really good acting, I thought.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:50:05 PM
Radio-style horror is a micro-genre that's dear to my heart. I think it's extremely effective for a feeling of real-time horror. Loved Alasdair's supplemental material as well.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:36:23 PM
Yeah, I agree that the format and performance of the story were interesting and well done, but I don't get the premise of the story.

Moritz

• Lochage
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
I couldn't really take it seriously because I always had to think of Welcome to Night Vale :D