Escape Artists
December 16, 2017, 09:53:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: To Tell You the Truth, I Had to Lie a Little  (Read 41030 times)
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »

I'm totally hooked on the story. Both Episodes had left heavy sound. I had a tiny bit of sound in right on second. I don't really mind TOO much, since the story is great. Awaiting more episodes!

Thanks, man Smiley I hope to get the new episode up tonight/tomorrow.

In addition, my contribution to Stories of the Third Wave has been posted -- "The Cockroach's Bite" a candid interview with fringe hero and hero groupie The Cockroach.  It was actually the hardest thing I've recorded, but it was a lot of fun to do.  Hope you dig it. 

Hoping to be done with the rewrite/polish of my novel by next week, and get it off to beta-readers by the end of the month.  After that I'm looking forward to getting lost in writing some short stories. 

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 05:23:12 PM »

Finished the second rewrite and polish of Fallen Horizon.  It's going out to Beta-Readers one more time because I'm glutton for punishment, and I want to absolutely nail this thing (I've spent so much time working on it, it'd be a waste not to). 

But I'm feeling pretty good about it, and suspect after that, I'll be ready to send it out into the great wide open. 

Hopefully now I'll have more time to get back into the crit group.

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »

I finished a draft I'm happy with of "Heart of Clay," which is a story set in the "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" world. 

I'm letting "Haole" ruminate for a bit more in my head.  The feedback from the crit group here has been really helpful and has given me some solid ideas on how to make it better before sending it out to Weird Tales.  The changes I need to make seem tangible now, where before I was just confused.

Have not touched "God Is My Programmer."  I read over it a few weeks ago and liked it, but it feels very much unfinished and rough, and I'm not at all sure what to do with it. 

Not sure what I'm going to work on next short fiction-wise.  I've got ideas for another Puritan Noir story and two other stories set in the Last Respects universe.  Also, I'd really like to try and write a Weird Western.  Decisions, decisions...

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 05:30:28 PM »

"The Gearaffe That Didn't Tick" didn't tick enough for Shimmer and is now hitting the slushpiles of other magazines.  I'm optimistic about this one.  The rejection from Shimmer was very encouraging and convinced me the story was solid enough.  Also, it's one of the most G/PG-rated things I've written in a while and as a result, I feel like there's HUGE number of markets it could go to.

"Heart of Clay" is coming back from Beta-Readers now.  I don't think it will be too long 'til it's ship-shape and ready to go out.

Starting back in on "Haole" now...Thanks to the group here, I feel like I'm not going in blind Smiley

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 02:49:15 PM »

Almost almost done with a rough draft of a new space opera-esque short story I think will be called "Life-Debt" (I was originally thinking about calling it Starkiller, but I'm thinking eventually the story will morph into something bigger and Starkiller might be a better name for whatever that is).  It's been fun.  I don't think I've ever written a serious space opera type story before.  Anyway, I'm enjoying playing with some of the space opera tropes.  It's relatively short so far and will probably finish under 4,000 words. 

After I finish that draft, I'm going to write a horror/crime story called "Sammy's Girl."  Not sure how long that's going to be, although I think I've already figured out the basic premise and characters and everything.  Well, more like I lifted the basic premise and characters.  But it's cool, I only stole from the Bible.  I'm banking on God being cool with Creative Commons.

I've got to write that one at marathon speed.  Like in a couple days.  Shocked

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 07:01:16 PM »

Started writing a new story in the Last Respects universe. Almost finished with it. Should be short, sweet, and disturbing. Hopefully.

Almost finished with a draft of "Sammy's Girl," which may have received a deadline extension. It was a lot harder to write than I thought it would be.

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 12:28:16 PM »

Resold "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" to the Triangulation anthology series! I did kind of an extensive rewrite on it at the request of the Triangulation editors and am really, really pleased with how it came out.

Now I'm rewriting the new story set in the LR universe...

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2009, 12:54:36 PM »

Sold "Heart of Clay" to Murky Depths! It's a sort of sequel to "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" and will also be a podcast on Variant Frequencies.

I think it's coming out in 2010, though. Wowza, that's a long ways away (or at least, it sounds like it's a long ways away).

Working on a new superhero short story at the moment. Not 100% sure what I'm going to do after that, but I've got a few options...

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »

So, thanks to Swamp, I realize I'm a little late in pointing out here that the Triangulation: Dark Glass anthology is out, featuring a slightly different version of Saint Darwin's Spirituals and and and a Rachel Swirsky story. You can pick it up either as a download or in dead tree version. The cover is beautiful.

Also, Variant Frequencies production of Saint Darwin's Spirituals was nominated for a Parsec award! So wOOt!

In other news, I finished a new story - one I'm very excited about. I'm not sure I've ever had so much fun writing a story as I did that one.

Also need to take another crack at the new superhero story.

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2009, 03:08:19 PM »

Coming soon to Variant Frequencies (and maybe somewhere else) - Puritan Noir: Love Burns! Kind of a sexy, violent, darkly romantic comedy set during the Salem Witch trials.

Well, at least I thought it was funny  Wink

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »

Wow. Been a while since I updated here!

I'm definitely still writing...grabbing spare minutes wherever I can find them. Currently, I'm spending time working on two different stories right now: a nautical fantasy adventure and a derranged Bible story retelling of Samson and Delilah*. At some point after that, I'm going to write a new St. Darwin story. Oh, and I want to finish my novel before the summer. For reals this time.

I've got five different stories out right now and just had a story - "Trust and Travesty" - come out over at Hub this week! It's kind of a Jane Austen-esque Cyberpunk/Mannerpunk corporate espionage romantic comedy spectacle. So if sex, violence, and ballroom dancing sound like fun, it might be worth checking out.

*Not sure it's more messed up than the Bible story itself, but there you go!

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »

Just found out my story "Heart of Clay" (a semi-sequel to "Saint Darwin's Spirituals") is up now at Variant Frequencies. Awesome cover art from Vincent Chong again (and if you want it in print form, along with the cover, you can order it from Murky Depths here.

Hope you all like it!

nevermore_66
Palmer

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2010, 07:17:28 PM »

Just listened to the first "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" and really enjoyed it Smiley

Just downloaded the latest to my iPod for later listening.

I really enjoyed the world, particularly the image of a golem police force patrolling cobble stone streets.  Very nice.  It must be a trip to have Vincent Chong conjure up the things you made up in your head.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 07:29:35 PM by nevermore_66 » Logged

"There is no exquisite beauty…without some strangeness in the proportion."
~Edgar Allan Poe, "Ligeia"
Swamp
Hipparch

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »

If you liked the golems, then you will love "Heart of Clay"

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2010, 12:40:27 PM »

Just listened to the first "Saint Darwin's Spirituals" and really enjoyed it Smiley

Just downloaded the latest to my iPod for later listening.

I really enjoyed the world, particularly the image of a golem police force patrolling cobble stone streets.  Very nice.  It must be a trip to have Vincent Chong conjure up the things you made up in your head.

Thank you, sir! I'm really glad you enjoyed it  Cheesy

Vincent Chong has been so cool! And I was so happy to hear he was going to be doing "Heart of Clay" too. I've got some of his pictures hanging over my desk now Smiley

nevermore_66
Palmer

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2010, 04:40:18 PM »

I listened to "Heart of Clay".

Even better than the first.

What a niffty world.

I'm not sure what it is about automaton characters that is so endearing (whether it's Wall*E or a golem beating some vampire ass).

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2010, 05:30:45 PM »

Aw, man! Thanks so much!!! Really glad you enjoyed it Smiley

nevermore_66
Palmer

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2010, 08:47:16 AM »

No problem.

What was the starting inspiration for the stories? Was it a character or the setting or some little detail (like the goggles)?

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2010, 12:04:42 PM »

I...wow. It was a combination of things, IIRC. It began with Matt Wallace from VF (and at the time Murky Depths) asked me to write a story for them. So a big inspiration was the challenge of coming up with something new I thought would kick the ass of an editor and writer I really respected.

So, I started thinking about steampunk because I liked it and I was pretty sure VF hadn't really done any. But I tend to love steampunk that has lots of weird stuff in it, not just cool technology that was ahead of it's time. And then I thought about the goggles, and why someone would really need them. And also, what was the point of divergence. I didn't really have all this stuff figured out in my head - I'm not the best at outlining, although I like to think I'm getting better - but it was all swimming around up there so I just dove in and started writing it. After I figured out the first sentence of the first story, I started to have a pretty good idea of what I wanted to see in this world and story. And then I started sprinkling in more weird stuff (golem constables, grounders, vampires, monsters, etc.) as I went along.

When I wrote the second one, I knew I wanted it to focus on a golem constable because Lucy's attitude of being so willing to try and kill one if necessary felt like misguided prejudice. That and I've always been a fan of characters who can't actually speak, for some reason. And...I just wanted to see a golem fight a bunch of vampires.

Thanks for asking!

BTW, it's about time you started up one of these threads yourself, man. What are you working on now?

nevermore_66
Palmer

« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »

Cool, cool.

Always interested on the origins of thoughts like that.

And right you are, I need to start a thread.  Any help to beat back the tide of sloth and procrastination is a good thing.

Just leaving work now, but I'll put one up when I get home.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: