Escape Artists
November 01, 2014, 05:20:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: To Tell You the Truth, I Had to Lie a Little  (Read 24354 times)
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 10:59:19 AM »

Holy crap!  I just got the fastest rejection ever from Escape Pod.  It took less than 20 minutes.   Huh

Wow, it must have stunk so bad, they smelled it coming. 

j/k, you know I love ya.

Awwwwwwww.  *You* love me, Nash?  That's so sweet.  That might even make up for it!

birdless
Lochage

Five is right out.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 01:05:56 PM »

Wow. Sorry to hear that, Dave. Undecided That barely even gave them time to read it! lol Maybe your title just realllly sucked.

By the way, I finally listened to St. Darwin. Some fascinating world-building there! It's too bad you only had 5000 words in which to frame the story.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 03:44:35 PM »

Wow. Sorry to hear that, Dave. Undecided That barely even gave them time to read it! lol Maybe your title just realllly sucked.

By the way, I finally listened to St. Darwin. Some fascinating world-building there! It's too bad you only had 5000 words in which to frame the story.

Coulda been the title I guess.  Coulda been anything, really. 

Glad you gave St. Darwin a listen!  5,000 words was tight, but I'm hoping to get back to that world soon and eventually even write a longer short story about St. Charlie himself.

Russell Nash
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 04:39:19 PM »

Holy crap!  I just got the fastest rejection ever from Escape Pod.  It took less than 20 minutes.   Huh

Wow, it must have stunk so bad, they smelled it coming. 

j/k, you know I love ya.

Awwwwwwww.  *You* love me, Nash?  That's so sweet.  That might even make up for it!

Don't get mushy or anything.  I still remember that you're the one who started the everyone against Nash thread.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »

I finished recording the first episode of my podcast last night!  I'm still wrestling with all the technical stuff of getting it up to my new website (Ah, PodPress.  THAT's what I'm missing!) but hopefully it should be up in the next couple of days.  It's a kids book about wannabe superheroes, the golden rule of comic books, and fandom.  It's probably the most G-rated thing I've ever written and is (hopefully) a lot of fun. 

I'll link to it here as soon as it's finished and posted (and maybe start a new thread in Podcast Pedantry).  I'm obviously very, very new at trying to do a podcast, so I expect there will be a lot I can learn from you all about it.

Chivalrybean
Peltast

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 07:34:38 AM »

Neat! I have notions of starting a podcast. I've also had the idea of live readings in Second Life, and maybe even at my local library.

The Space Turtle - News that didn't happen, stories to entertain.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 12:30:45 PM »

It's here!  Episode 1 of my podcast, "The Unbelievable Origin of Superspiff and the Toothpick Kid" is now up at my new website Dave Shot First.  Hear me ramble about secret identies (the real golden rule), would-be superheroes (not to be confused with poser superheroes), Cyberpunk and the Cyber-Commandos (the cool and teh suck).  Like I say in the intro, I wrote this to be an intergenerational thing, so if you have kids, hopefully they'll get a kick out of it, too.

Obviously, all this tech stuff is a work in progress for me.  Any feedback you want to give on the story and the site is greatly appreciated.  (There's no itunes button, yet, but I'm hoping to add that soon.  I'm also going to try and tweak some of the blog formatting, -- i.e., make the red letters bigger.)

Hope you enjoy it!

Russell Nash
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »

Dave, feel free to drop a double post in the podcast pedantry.  This is a one time offer.  Don't go nuts and make us come after you for spamming.  Anyway, I think you could get the word to a couple more people that way.  Don't forget to add it to your sig.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 02:28:22 PM »

Thanks, man.  I appreciate it. 

Also, if you want to add the podcast to your sig, N-sh, that'd be alright with me  Wink

Russell Nash
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »

Thanks, man.  I appreciate it. 

Also, if you want to add the podcast to your sig, N-sh, that'd be alright with me  Wink

$$$

Went to your site to download.  I didn't just want to download the first ep.  I wanted to set up the feed.  I had trouble finding the link.  When I did find it, the address was "feed:http…".  My comp didn't like the "feed:" part.  I copied edited and pasted and got your feed.  Just thought you might want to edit that link a bit.

I'll listen to it sometime during the week when the kids are in the car.  I'll let you know how it goes over.
Chivalrybean
Peltast

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »

I subscribed. I'll listen most likely on Monday at work.

Chivalrybean
Peltast

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2008, 09:09:37 PM »

I listened and I really liked it!

Is there a reason the voice audio was only in my left ear? The music was right and left.

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 01:30:44 AM »

I listened and I really liked it!

Thanks!

Is there a reason the voice audio was only in my left ear? The music was right and left.

Erm, because I'm a leftist?  No, seriously, I actually have no idea why that happened, but I'll make sure it doesn't happen on the next episode.

Russell Nash
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 04:27:26 AM »

Dave,  I really liked it.  Having said that I'm going to move into the helpful (hopefully) nitpicks. 

The audio has been brought up.  It makes sense for the voice to be mono, but it needs to be in both channels. 

Your voice was really loud during the intro, probably in the red.  This causes some loss of quality.  Keep it in the green, man.

In your thanks section at the end you thank your father-in-law (I think) twice.  Sounds like you recorded it more than once and kept the two best recordings. 

All in all a super first podcast.  Most of the first eps I've heard were just horrible.  I don't think there's anything that won't shake out with experience. 

Played it for my kids this morning, but they're too young for this.  They didn't get the setting or anything.  Superheroes are just on underwear and t-shirts to them.  They have no idea about Comic conventions or anything of the sort.  I, however, am old enough to get it. 
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 11:34:30 AM »

Glad you liked it, N-sh! 

And the nitpicks are much appreciated.  I'm very much trying to figure this whole thing out, and any feedback I get is very helpful.  So thanks!  Sound quality will definitely be something I have to work on for the next ep.

Russell Nash
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 03:27:20 PM »

Overall the sound quality was clear.  You were just too loud for some of it.  But there weren't bad echoes or other noises.  Sounds like you don't really need to change your set up at all.  You just need to get used to speaking a little more on a level.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 12:31:40 PM »

Overall the sound quality was clear.  You were just too loud for some of it.  But there weren't bad echoes or other noises.  Sounds like you don't really need to change your set up at all.  You just need to get used to speaking a little more on a level.

Hopefully, it was better this last time.  Though I fear the audio was still somehow mysteriously tweaked by the leftists.

NEW NEWS!

I have a secret project.  Sweet! 

I have to write, edit, record, edit, and send out said secret project in about two weeks.  Not a lot of time for dilly dallying. 

Let the good times roll, I guess  Cool

SteveCooperOrg
Palmer

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 06:11:54 AM »

DKT: Congratulations on God-shaped box. I just read it and really enjoyed it. Very neat little piece, lovely idea.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 11:06:29 AM »

Thanks much, Steve!  I'm glad you liked it Smiley

Chivalrybean
Peltast

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 07:33:34 PM »

I'm totally hooked on the story. Both Episodes had left heavy sound. I had a tiny bit of sound in right on second. I don't really mind TOO much, since the story is great. Awaiting more episodes!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: