Escape Artists
October 20, 2014, 04:12:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: To Tell You the Truth, I Had to Lie a Little  (Read 23955 times)
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2010, 02:47:26 PM »

Good news! I sold my short story "Haole" to the Triangulation: End of the Rainbow anthology!

I'm thrilled about this, especially because it was workshopped a bit here back when I had time (a loooooooooooooooooong time ago) to participate in the crit group. It's considerably different now, but oh how the critiques helped. So, thanks everyone Smiley

Swamp
Hipparch

« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2010, 03:13:07 PM »

That is awesome.  Again, a perfect, yet unexpected application of a Triangulation theme.  I remember back when the editors were doing podcasts about the submissions that they hoped for more GLBT stories.  You have the Trangulation mojo, my friend.

It will be interesting to see how you changed it.  If I remember, it was a little over the top when I read it, but a very interesting post-apocalyptic tale.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »

Grin Me? A little over the top? Sir, you do me an injustice. But I think it is...less over the top now. That said, this is coming from the guy who wrote about ghostgasms, so take that with a grain of salt Smiley No more cannibals, though!

As for the anthology themes, I've been lucky. Originally, I thought this year's theme was going to be the color of silence, and I was like: PERFECT! I'll send them "Heart of Clay." But then it was announced as The End of the Rainbow.

For both this story and St. D, I did a bit of rewriting.

Anyway, thanks! And I hope you like the "final" version Cheesy

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2010, 11:12:55 AM »

I got my contributor's copies of Triangulation: End of the Rainbow (Amazon/B&N). In addition to "Haole" by yours truly, there's stories by Eugie Foster, Cat Rambo, and Peter S. Beagle (GAH).

So yay! I'm pretty well stoked.

Scattercat
Caution:
Editor

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2010, 01:24:36 PM »

I got my contributor's copies of Triangulation: End of the Rainbow (Amazon/B&N). In addition to "Haole" by yours truly, there's stories by Eugie Foster, Cat Rambo, and Peter S. Beagle (GAH).

So yay! I'm pretty well stoked.

Now THAT is some company!

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
Anarkey
Meen Pie
Editor

...depends a good deal on where you want to get to

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »

Way to go, my glorious co-editor!  High five!

Winner Nash's 1000th member betting pool + Thaurismunths' Free Rice Contest!
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »

Thanks, people! High fives all around!!!

Swamp
Hipparch

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2010, 03:41:13 PM »

Do they have a PDF version available this year?  I need something good to read but I need it fir this weekend as I am "working" (sitting around as support for a new system that has been running without issues for a couple days already).

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2010, 04:20:04 PM »

Good question! I'll see if I can't find out about that, Swamp.

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2010, 04:33:50 PM »

Alright, after further investigation, it appears that an electronic will be available (hopefully) in 3-5 weeks time. Sorry, Swamp!

eytanz

« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »

This is really cool news! And it sounds like the electronic version is going to come out around the same time as my brand new Kindle is supposed to arrive Smiley
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2010, 05:33:49 PM »

!!!!!!

Grin

Thanks, eytanz. That means a lot Smiley

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2010, 03:59:14 PM »

wOOt!!! Sold a story to Bull Spec! Sold a story to Bull Spec! Sold a story to Bull Spec!

Ahem.

"The Gearaffe Who Didn't Tick" has sold to Bull Spec.

YAY!!!

Scattercat
Caution:
Editor

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2010, 04:05:09 PM »

Congrats!

Bull Spec has some really nice production values...

---
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »

Congrats.

I thought Bull Spec was only open to Carolina-based writers or something? Or am I confusing it with something else?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2010, 12:10:13 PM »

Back when I subbed the story, Bull Spec only had an emphasis on local writers, and was open to submissions from anyone else as long as the stories met the guidelines.

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »

Heh. I haven't posted here in over 120 days the red font says. But this is some cool stuff!

First off, my story "God-Shaped Box" is live at the Journey Into...! Podcast and read by none other than Larry Santoro. I have squeed myself mightily.

Also, a Finnish magazine wants to translate Saint Darwin's Spirituals into Finnish. This is the first time I've been translated. Personally, I'm looking forward to finding out how to say ghostgasm in Finnish.

That's it for now. Will try to post back in less than 120 days...

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »

That's it for now. Will try to post back in less than 120 days...

Bwahahahahahahaha. Man, I'm such a sucker.

Anyway, I've not been writing as much as I'd like. But I have been writing some. I wrote a story for my daughter when she went to stay with her uncle for a week that I need to revise. I wrote (and revised and revised) a new Saint Darwin story I'm shopping around, and wrote a second one that I need to completely rewrite. And I got inspired by the PodCastle flash fiction contest to do a couple more pieces of short fiction (one is 1,000 words, needs to be revised, but is pretty close; the other needs to be finished).

So, looks like I have a bit a lot of revising to do. Good times!

I'm planning on doing NaNoWriMo this year (which I've never done before). I'm not sure if I'm gonna do a novel or try to write a bunch of short stories. Both have certain appeals, but I'd really like to write a new novel. (I'm just worried it needs more research. Well, not worried so much. It definitely needs to research. But I'm pretty sure I can't do all the research I want before Nov.)

Um, I don't think I linked to this before, but I talked about my "Ichabod Crane, Master of the Occult" story, which I think is fun for October. It's at Journey Into..., and I'm really thrilled with the audio production Marshal gave it. Also, I had a twisted Christmas story "Saint Nicholas's Helper" a couple years ago people seemed to like.

Scattercat
Caution:
Editor

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »

If you want usable material, I recommend the batch of short stories route.  A 50K novel written in a rush is going to be such a muddle (unless you are already James Patterson or someone equivalently skilled at cranking 'em out) that it will take you three or four times as long just to edit it into usability.

Easier to post to the Crit Group, too. ;-)

---
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2013, 11:20:06 AM »

Ha. Yeah, the Crit Group...I think I've only put one story in there. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

So, my current thought for NaNoWriMo is I'll split the difference and write 2-3 stories, and maybe 20,000 words of a novel. (I figure the novel will be somewhere between 60-80K words in total, though that's a very rough guess. I really need to outline it to be sure.)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: