Author Topic: Flash: Questions  (Read 6206 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: September 27, 2007, 10:13:57 PM
Flash: Questions

By Edward Webb

Read by Ben Phillips

“Name’s Claude,” he says. “You’re new.”

I nod again, still looking out into the empty street near the alley. It’s bad enough that I’ve lost everything in my life – my job, my home, my family. But now a chilling realization splashes over me: I am going to be trapped in this alleyway, melting snow soaking into my shoes, listening to a disfigured man with breath as stale as his conversation, forever. This isn’t just another November night. It’s a pit of hell that I’m trapped in, a punishment for my unknown crimes against the universe.

“Sometimes the innocent are put in jail, and the guilty go free.”

Surprised by the comment, I turn back to him. “What?”

Claude’s face twists into a grin, his scar stretched into a new, more hideous shape. “That’s what I like about new guys. They ask questions.”

Music mixed by Navicon Torture Technologies from recordings available from http://www.annihilvs.org/ANNIHILVS:
1. “Instrument Landing System” by Propergol, from the GPWS CD
2. “Rent Boy” by IRM, from the CD, The Cult of the Young Men
3. Gutterballads Vol II, track VI by Wilt, from the Gutterballads Vol II CD-R

Listen to this Pseudopod Flash.

*note* sorry for the late post, the ep still hasnt appeared in my itunes so i never knew it existed!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:49:18 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 06:04:57 PM
Creepy and bizarre with no answers. :)

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 06:12:02 PM
This might be one of my favorite flash pieces here.  Creepy story, Ben's reading, plus the crazy background noise.  Sometimes, background noises detract for me, but here it was pretty much pitch-perfect.

Chodon

• Lochage
  • Molon Labe
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:30:34 PM
I have a hard time getting into the flash fiction pieces.  There just isn't enough time to have a plot, develop characters, and finish the story.  This one really only had half of the first one and half of the second one.  I suppose that's more than most flash fiction though.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither.

darusha

• M. Darusha Wehm
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 09:20:08 PM
Flash horror is really hard I think.  This one was good, but a bit predictable for my tastes.

waffles.

• Extern
Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 01:19:11 PM
really VERY good butbutbut... the music=no

Here goes the martyr

Kevin David Anderson

• Palmer
  • "He's Undead, Jim"
    • Kevin David Anderson
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:14:21 PM
Another great reading from Ben and I really enjoyed the production (music)  Reminded me of drabblecast

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:08:06 PM
I thought this one was relatively good and it at least had an arc.
There were more questions raised then answers, but since that concept was integral to the concept of the story, it worked for me.

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 10:20:49 PM
This one was alright.  I liked it more because it has more of an arc - however, it's still disjointed and (again) resembles the transcription of a dream rather than a legitimate story.  Good, but I'll probably never go back for a 2nd listen.

Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.