Author Topic: CoW Ep. 278: Strong As Stone  (Read 3705 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: November 06, 2017, 06:33:20 PM
Strong As Stone

Author: Effie Seiberg
Narrator: Eliza Chan
Host: Marguerite Kenner
Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter

Originally published in the Monsters and Masks issue of Veux Magazine (October 2013)
The full text is published on the new Cast of Wonders website! Check it out!
Click here to listen to Episode 278

Effie Seiberg is a fantasy and science fiction writer. Her stories can be found in the “Women Destroy Science Fiction!” special edition of Lightspeed Magazine, Galaxy’s Edge, Analog, and Fireside Fiction, amongst others, as well as on PodCastle and Escape Pod.

Effie lives in San Francisco. She likes to make sculpted cakes and bad puns. You can follow her on twitter at @effies, or read more of her work at effieseiberg.com.

Eliza Chan is a Scottish-Chinese writer published in Fantasy Magazine, Fox Spirit’s Asian Monsters, Persistent Visions and Mithila Review. She writes about East Asian mythology, British folklore and madwomen in the attic, but preferably all three at once.

I thought Halloween would be different. The one day where I could go out and run around with kids my age, and be myself – truly myself, with nothing to hide. I was right, but not in the way that I thought.

For you see, I’m made of stone. My skin is rough granite, my teeth are like river-washed pebbles, my hair crystalline gypsum. I’m streaked in grays and whites and browns. All the races of the world shoot through my palms and ankles and stomach. I am the melting pot, where the stones of the earth liquefy and boil together.

The doctors don’t know what it is.

The introduction gives the incorrect episode number - please forgive the error. Looks like Marguerite has been time travelling again...

Tags: acceptance, appearances, Cast of Wonders, character, costume, cruelty, differences, Effie Seiberg, Eliza Chan, Jeremy Carter, othering, strength, superhero, Young Adult fiction
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:38:17 PM by danooli »

effie

• Extern
    • Effie Seiberg: writing and whatnot
Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:43:03 AM
Hi everyone! I'm Effie, the writer. If you had any thoughts I'd love to hear 'em! Or if you just wanted to argue about how humanity would deal with people with actual superhero-like powers. Or if you wanted to tell me that Safeway holiday cookies are divine and what am I doing denigrating them. (You could, but you're wrong. Those things are awful.) Either way! I'd love to hear from you.

-Effie
writermonkey

--Effie
writermonkey

laurasbadideas

• Extern
  • CatsCast!
    • Unlikely Explanations
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:37:21 PM
This was a terrific story, and I especially loved that in the end,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Michael W. Cho

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 05:37:33 AM
I loved this story, I think it's brilliant. It was painful and hard to listen to, because I felt so bad for Emma. Part of the cool texture of the piece was the bits of humor that were sneaky funny and really added to the richness. I also loved the narrator!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 03:13:07 AM
It helps that I just read the issue of Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur where she meets Ben Grimm. This is the sort of PR cleanup that the Fantastic 4 probably deserve.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”