Escape Artists
November 22, 2017, 09:31:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FINAL ROUND of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest has begun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EP600: At the Rialto  (Read 133 times)
eytanz

« on: November 09, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »

Escape Pod 600: At the Rialto

AUTHOR: Connie Willis
NARRATOR: Mur Lafferty
HOST: Divya Breed

---

Seriousness of mind was a prerequisite for understanding Newtonian physics. I am not convinced it is not a handicap in understanding quantum theory.

—EXCERPT FROM DR. GEDANKEN’S KEYNOTE ADDRESS TO THE 1989 INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF QUANTUM PHYSICISTS ANNUAL MEETING, HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA
I got to Hollywood around one-thirty and started trying to check into the Rialto. “Sorry, we don’t have any rooms,” the girl behind the desk said. “We’re all booked up with some science thing.”

“I’m with the science thing,” I said. “Dr. Ruth Baringer. I reserved a double.”

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 06:53:02 PM by Ocicat » Logged
JackSpellman
Extern

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:50 PM »

Classic Connie Willis: plotless, thin characterizations, stilted dialogue the like of which has never been spoken by any actual human being, thinks it's hilarious but is not, believes it's insightful but is not, and it goes on and on and on and on...
acpracht
EA Staff

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:00:01 PM »

Classic Connie Willis: plotless, thin characterizations, stilted dialogue the like of which has never been spoken by any actual human being, thinks it's hilarious but is not, believes it's insightful but is not, and it goes on and on and on and on...

Lol... So what have you done for us lately, Jack? Wink

-Adam
irishlazz
Palmer

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 02:04:38 PM »

I'm big on Newtonian physics.  Found this story somewhere between amusing and annoying right up to the end when I got the point of the story.... feeling like it should have been obvious to me much sooner.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." A.Einstein
acpracht
EA Staff

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:03:19 AM »

The idea and thesis of this one reminded me very much of Connie Willis's "Bellwether." I wonder which one came first...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: