Author Topic: EP602: Trash Talk  (Read 5610 times)

eytanz

on: November 17, 2017, 03:26:51 PM
Escape Pod 602: Trash Talk

AUTHOR: Holly Schofield
NARRATOR: Robert Gonyo
HOST: Mur Lafferty

---

I’m not a complainer, not me. I roll with the punches. I’ll be just another dead trash collector in about ten minutes but, hey, that’s okay. My son won’t die and, here’s a bonus, my life insurance policy will pay out.

Unless they consider it suicide.

Here we are, hugging in the middle of my living room, me in my robo-assist, my fists locked behind Ricky’s head, up high, like a boxer’s. Ricky, that’s my son, he’s pinned right against my chest.

I can’t see much now, things are blurry; must be sweat that’s in my eyes. Maybe that’ll save me ’cause it’ll short out the servos sooner or later. That was a joke. I’m hanging tough. By the way, guys, before you do anything down at the cop shop with this voice record, edit out all the emotional crap Ricky and I said earlier at the beginning, like right when it started recording, okay? Kinda embarrassing.

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:43:01 PM by eytanz »

DerangedMind

• Peltast
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 01:39:34 PM
Wow.

Just Wow.

*This* was a great story.  The narration was amazing.  The characterization was amazing.  Despite it being a short story, I felt I knew the guy, and felt for him.  The portrayal of the problems that 'normal' people have with tech in the future was great.

irishlazz

• Palmer
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 04:30:54 PM
Wow.

Just Wow.

*This* was a great story.  The narration was amazing.  The characterization was amazing.  Despite it being a short story, I felt I knew the guy, and felt for him.  The portrayal of the problems that 'normal' people have with tech in the future was great.

Ditto.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." A.Einstein

jenni4096

• Extern
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 12:48:40 AM
I loved how the scope of this story was so limited to just a few minutes, one pair of eyes, one event -- and the narrator leads us through it in effectively real time.  It really let me immerse myself in the protagonist's thoughts and feelings around a single point in time.

It reminds me a little, in that way, of "The Very Pulse of The Machine."

The narration was ... ace.  I don't think I've heard this guy before but I hope you find reasons to bring him in again!

This story got me thinking about the heroic, stoic version of hypermasulinity shown here -- "I'm not a complainer, not me."

If he were a hero in a cape, I'd think, he's just a hero -- he's supposed to be unattainable.  But this guy's a regular Joe -- I feel invited to compare him to the men in my life ("now there's a real man.")  And I start to think about how this character's adopting this version of manhood is a part and parcel of the unjust, class-divided, off-brand-medical-miracle, defective-home-brew-superman-suit future the author some how manages to portray so thoroughly in just a few words.  And I love it.

Thanks, author and EP!  :-)

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 05:30:20 PM
Wow.

Just Wow.

Ditto.

The aural post-script after the story hit the nail on the proverbial head. Would I like an exo-suit in my old age? Yes! Would I want all the fancy dancy safety-interlocks and the big red panic stop button? Hell yeah. Do I fear such inequity in enhancements? Yep...

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 12:41:17 AM
Well that was EXTREMELY HORRIFYING. ScubaMan, I also fear the inequity of enhancements.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Jethro's belt

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:39:14 PM
I like an epistolary story and despite virtually telling us how it will end at the beginning of the story, I was still surprised. Distracted by both the cunning writing and fine narration are my excuses. 

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 03:48:53 PM
In my early developmental years, I thought garbage men were the coolest and aspired to have that job hanging off the side of the truck and running the big pneumatic press. So this story spoke directly to a piece of my heart. Great job building a fully realized world in such a compact space, and the narrator did a great job.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:22:25 PM
Throwing in a "me too" for the great writing, excellent concept, and bang on narration.