Author Topic: CoW Ep. 280: Cateye Gleaming in the Dark  (Read 5164 times)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
on: November 19, 2017, 02:23:10 PM
Cateye Gleaming in the Dark

Author: David M. Hoenig
Narrator: B.J. Harrison
Host: Marguerite Kenner
Audio Producer: Jeremy Carter

Originally published in the X2 anthology by Thirteen O’Clock Press
The full text is published on the new Cast of Wonders website! Check it out!
Click here to listen to Episode 280

David M. Hoenig is a practicing physician for whom writing is his ‘second career’. He’s won 2 short fiction contests (Dark Chapter Press, Espec books) and placed 3rd in another (Morning Rain Publishing). He’s had multiple stories published/accepted to different anthologies with Horrified Press, Zoetic Press/NonBinary Review, Drunk Monkeys Literary, Dark Chapter Press, and Nebula Rift Magazine.

B.J. Harrison is the award-winning host of The Classic Tales podcast, and has narrated hundreds of audiobooks. His work has received thousands of five star ratings and reviews, and has been recommended by The Wall Street Journal. His most notable works have been The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas, Hamlet, by William Shakespeare, and Nicholas Nickleby, by Charles Dickens. His website is formulated to work like an audiobook club, where he gives supporting listeners monthly coupons and access to special content.

Today…

James Riordan thinks that eighty four is a pretty fine number. It’s round, for one thing. It’s made up of what should be a lucky seven of dozens, for another. And he’s had time to get used to it, since it doesn’t look like he’s going to get around to eighty five.

Tags: BJ Harrison, Cast of Wonders, cateye, David M. Hoenig, grief, growth, Jeremy Carter, loss, luck, marbles, passing on, protection, recovery, war, Young Adult fiction

Michael W. Cho

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:55:53 PM
The narrator is really good, but his Jamaican accent sounds Transylvanian! I almost turned it off at that point.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:40:48 PM
B.J. Harrison is an incredible narrator, and I think he did a fantastic job, even with the incredibly difficult Jamaican accent. I'd also like to remind everyone of our One Rule. That comment is skirting the One Rule, but I am not sure it is in violation so just a gentle reminder.

Michael W. Cho

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 05:44:22 AM
B.J. Harrison is an incredible narrator, and I think he did a fantastic job, even with the incredibly difficult Jamaican accent. I'd also like to remind everyone of our One Rule. That comment is skirting the One Rule, but I am not sure it is in violation so just a gentle reminder.
I don't see how that was disrespectful. I said the narrator was really good. He did about 10 different accents perfectly, but my opinion was that the Jamaican one was not, and sounded like it was from Transylvania. Unfortunately, it was the first one in the story. I would assume Mr. Harrison would appreciate the feedback, but if this was hurtful to him, I apologize.

Languorous Lass

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 07:03:09 AM
I’m working my way backward through the Cast of Wonders episodes, and this one really bothered me.  The Jamaican character seemed to me to embody the tired old trope of the magical black person who’s present solely to make the main (white) character’s life easier.  Plus the rest of the story seemed unoriginal.  I know I have a shriveled little heart, but the story seemed awfully saccharine to me. 

Marlboro

• Matross
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 06:18:46 PM
I’m working my way backward through the Cast of Wonders episodes, and this one really bothered me.  The Jamaican character seemed to me to embody the tired old trope of the magical black person who’s present solely to make the main (white) character’s life easier.  Plus the rest of the story seemed unoriginal.  I know I have a shriveled little heart, but the story seemed awfully saccharine to me.

I agree with you about the treacly nature of the story, though I am a bit suspicious of the good intentions of a magic marble that feeds on dreams.

I also dislike the "magic negro" trope as Spike Lee calls it, but how do we know that the main character is white?

Languorous Lass

Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 01:20:06 AM
That's a fair question.  I just went back and reread the story.  The Riordan family, including the main character, are also stereotypes -- Irish stereotypes.  Jimmy's mother refers to his dad as "Paddy," and his full name is Patrick James Riordan -- a quintessentially Irish name.  Plus after his wife dies, Jimmy is visited by Father Timothy.  Clearly Irish Catholic.