Author Topic: PseudoPod 572: Deconstructing Hillsdale  (Read 3208 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 08, 2017, 02:16:10 AM
PseudoPod 572: Deconstructing Hillsdale

by D. Morgan Ballmer
Narrated by David Cummings, Scott Campbell, Moaner T. Lawrence, Brian Lieberman, and Alex Hofelich

PseudoPod 572: Deconstructing Hillsdale is a PseudoPod original.

Content Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There was no real way for the news to tell the story anyway. Think of those 3-D sculptures which appear as an elephant when seen head on, but take four steps to the right and suddenly it looks like a giraffe. Same with the Hillsdale event – you look directly at the facts and you will never see the evidence that matters. You have to approach it sideways.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Michael W. Cho

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 09:42:29 PM
The host's words after the show made me think about the story in a whole new way. I think I need to listen/read again, because now I'm not even sure what I think about it. I did enjoy the unusual structure.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:49:34 PM
A No Sleep & PseudoPod collaboration?! Might fine, mighty fine.  I shared it with my spouse who teaches Theory Of Knowledge (ToK) in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program at her high school.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:06:31 PM
So where is Pseudopod 571..? Anyway, I really like "patchwork" narratives where one has to piece together the story from many different accounts and mediums. Personally, I think #RandyIsAHero.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 06:12:23 PM
571 will be arriving shortly. We apologize for the delay.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 06:15:52 PM
571 will be arriving shortly. We apologize for the delay.

Great to hear, Shawn! Just making sure it wasn't eaten by a chthonic tentacled horror.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 02:37:20 PM

...{edit}...eaten by a chthonic tentacled horror... {edit}...

Now THAT is a great phrase.  Greetings from snowy Toronto, eh.

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 03:15:17 PM
The host's words after the show made me think about the story in a whole new way. I think I need to listen/read again, because now I'm not even sure what I think about it. I did enjoy the unusual structure.

I agree to some extent. I had accepted that the media view that Randy was a deranged criminal was not the real story by the end and the host commentary made me second guess that. I decided in the end that the author had meant Randy to be a misunderstood hero, not a racist crazy person. The story makes it pretty clear that the traveling band were not really gypsies anyways.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 03:43:20 PM

I decided in the end that the author had meant Randy to be a misunderstood hero, not a racist crazy person.

I think it's easy to say the narrator POV meant to portray Randy as a misunderstood hero. It's less easy to assign authorial intent.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

CogShoggoth

• Extern
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 09:16:49 PM
All my monstrous behavior can be justified by self interest. For example - my son died of an opiate overdose in 2008 (a man a head of his time). I know who his pusher was. By now he has a family. It is easy to be a monster. Very monstrous to take responsibility.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk