Author Topic: PseudoPod 573: Bitter Perfume  (Read 3135 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 17, 2017, 07:50:28 PM
PseudoPod 573: Bitter Perfume

by Laura Blackwell
Narrated by Emily Smith

This story was originally published in She Walks in Shadows anthology, eds. Silvia Moreno-Garcia and Paula R. Stiles, October 2015 from Innsmouth Free Press. Prime Books issued the American edition, which is called Cthulhu’s Daughters. This will be its first reprint.

Some listeners will recognize characters and story elements from H.P. Lovecraft’s “Cool Air.” That’s because this story was written for She Walks in Shadows, an anthology of stories containing female characters from Lovecraft’s stories. All contributors to the anthology were women. She Walks in Shadows won the 2016 World Fantasy Award in the anthology category, and “Bitter Perfume” received an Honorable Mention from Best Horror of the Year, Vol. 8 editor Ellen Datlow.

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 01:16:40 PM
Eeeek. This episode had some distortion of very heavy duty proportions. Too true. Too true. Timestamp ~ 5:12. I don’t know all the audio engineer lingo... it sounds like the narrator was too close to the mic. I’m used to Alasdair’s buttery crisp (?) man vocals.

I’ll try messing arround with my iPad’s EQ settings.  :(

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 01:22:05 PM
What an odd episode! Unnerving vibe.
Running commentary...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I’m so sharing this with my spouse. It describes her relationship with her mum (minus, well, the obvious). Yeah, I know. I’m happily hitched. 28 years and as sweet as bitter almonds. 8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 02:08:19 PM by Scuba Man »

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

laurablackwell

• Extern
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 05:22:56 AM
Thank you for the commentary! I've always wondered how "Bitter Perfume" would read/sound to people who aren't familiar with "Cool Air," and reading all your double-take moments was both reassuring and delightful. I'm chuckling to myself now. Yes, Emily handled the slow creep of weirdness beautifully, and Alasdair's comments at the end were dead-on. I couldn't be happier with the treatment this story's gotten.

And as for your spouse and her mum...um. Well! I guess that means they're...close?  :-\ But I'm pleased that you like the story enough to share it!

What an odd episode! Unnerving vibe.
Running commentary...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I’m so sharing this with my spouse. It describes her relationship with her mum (minus, well, the obvious). Yeah, I know. I’m happily hitched. 28 years and as sweet as bitter almonds. 8)

adrianh

• Hipparch
    • quietstars
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 10:53:18 AM
Been looking forward to hearing this one — and wasn't disappointed. I thought Emily nailed the narration and a super twist on Cold Air.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 03:04:25 PM
If folks want to listen to a good version of Cool Air, I recommend this one: http://hppodcraft.com/2011/07/13/reading-5-cool-air/

It is by no means necessary to appreciate this story, as it stands completely on its own, but it makes a nice pairing like cheese and wine.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

laurablackwell

• Extern
Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 01:28:29 AM
Thanks for the tip! I love "Cool Air," although I did want to be kinder to Mrs. Herrero. Whether I was much meaner to Esteban is another question.

If folks want to listen to a good version of Cool Air, I recommend this one: http://hppodcraft.com/2011/07/13/reading-5-cool-air/

It is by no means necessary to appreciate this story, as it stands completely on its own, but it makes a nice pairing like cheese and wine.

laurablackwell

• Extern
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 12:38:19 AM
Thank you so much! I was thrilled to hear this story getting the full PseudoPod treatment.

Been looking forward to hearing this one — and wasn't disappointed. I thought Emily nailed the narration and a super twist on Cold Air.

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 10:42:50 PM
This story is why immortality scares me, because of the possibility that it could turn non-consensual.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN