Author Topic: PseudoPod 571: Haunted  (Read 2485 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: December 17, 2017, 07:54:06 PM
PseudoPod 571: Haunted

by Sarah Gailey
Narrated by Dani Daly

This story was originally published in Issue 31 of Fireside Fiction in February 2016

Content warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Read the full text here

Listen to this week's PseudoPod.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:56:01 PM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 06:50:14 AM
I LOVED this one. For whatever reason, my phone didn't download it when it first came out, so I just heard it. The "house as a sentient entity" trope is usually right up my alley, and this one is no exception. And what's-his-ass, the husband? He got off too light. :)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 02:23:32 PM
I LOVED this one. For whatever reason, my phone didn't download it when it first came out, so I just heard it. The "house as a sentient entity" trope is usually right up my alley, and this one is no exception. And what's-his-ass, the husband? He got off too light. :)
...damn, I thought I was the only one that couldn't remember that sh*thead's name. The complex relationship between the home and the woman was tough to listen to.  Mind you, I loved the author's decision NOT to tell us what she had accidentally done to the little boy...  Leave it to my imagination!  I'm imagining a Clive Barker "rake" fate to the abusive husband.  Makes me all warm and tingly.  ;D

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 12:32:43 AM
I LOVED this one. For whatever reason, my phone didn't download it when it first came out, so I just heard it.

This episode was delayed and just came out. You're not crazy.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 02:09:25 AM
I LOVED this one. For whatever reason, my phone didn't download it when it first came out, so I just heard it.

This episode was delayed and just came out. You're not crazy.

Well, at least not on the basis of this episode's timing. ;)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Ichneumon

• Matross
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 06:15:01 PM
It was interesting that there were several layers of reality in this story. There was the level the consciousness of the house was on, and the house could perceive the two lower levels but only slightly influence them. Then there was the level Ghost Martha was on, and she could perceive the the living world, but not the house. The lowest level was the living world. I wonder if other inanimate objects in that world were self aware?