Author Topic: Film Poll, week 1  (Read 9511 times)

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
on: October 03, 2007, 10:14:12 PM
I feel like running an experiment - running a weekly poll on people's favorite films.  I've taken a bunch of movies from IMDB's top rated list, and their top rated SF, Horror, and Fantasy films, plus a few beloved movies from my own collection that didn't quite make that cut.  I've put all the names in a virtual hat, and will be drawing them out randomly.  New polls should be posted on Wedensdays.  I have enough flims to keep this up for half a year.

Vote for the one you like best (it's okay if you haven't seen them all), and the winner will be carried into the next poll.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:17:49 PM by Ocicat »

Russell Nash

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:26:54 AM
Cool idea.  Right on the first one you have three of my favorites.  That's not fair.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 10:22:31 AM
I actually surprised myself with my answer.  I have a deep abiding love of Highlander (The bit where they use 80s computer power to compare Mcleod's aliases handwriting always gives me chills) and Serenity (Although my wife, who is firmly of the opinion that I'm Wash, as is my sister in law actually, was horribly traumatised by it) but it's all about Strangelove this time.  Weird.

Cool idea by the way:)

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:22:19 PM
Well, I loved Serenity, but Strangelove's a effin' classic dark comedy.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:09:11 PM
I had to go with Highlander -- I feel that, of those films that I've seen (haven't seen 300; didn't really care for Strangelove), it was the most complete.  I loved Serenity, but I actually liked Highlander better.  And I bleed brown.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 05:02:00 PM
Dispite most the vocal support being for Strangelove, it looks like Serenity is coming out ahead.  I must admit I'm disapointed - Dr. Strangelove is one of my favorite films, and... heresy I know... I never could get into Firefly.  I just hate Westerns with a flaming purple passion, and never could get past the western flavor of the show.

Holden

• Peltast
  • EXTERMINATE!
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 01:42:54 AM
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

I voted for Strangelove. Didn't even have to think about it. Obvious choice.

Thaurismunths

• High Priest of TCoRN
  • Hipparch
  • Praise N-sh, for it is right and good!
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 03:17:49 AM
...with a flaming purple passion, and never could get past the western flavor of the show.
Eew... you should get that looked at.

This was a tough call. Serenity was great, but only because of the (truncated) series. As a stand-alone it was only ok. 300: while I'm just not in to oiled up beef-cakes, the real downfall was the plot and military tactics, although the death, carnage, and mythical creatures were a nice touch. My vote ultimately went for Strangelove. Who hasn't impersonated Slim Pickens after seeing that movie?

How do you fight a bully that can un-make history?

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 07:20:48 AM
Serenity was great, but only because of the (truncated) series. As a stand-alone it was only ok.

I think Serenity gets a lot of sympathy support because of that.

I had three favorites here including Serenity.  Serenity just couldn't stand up to the quality of the competition.  Stangelove is a true classic.  But Highlander will always have a special place in my heart.  It's legacy survives horrible sequels and a mediocre series. Plus, it's got a Queen soundtrack.

DDog

• Matross
    • Twitter
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 02:16:59 PM
I missed out on voting, but I'd only seen Serenity and most of Strangelove anyway.

I saw Serenity in the theater when it came out, because the previews confused me until I discovered it was based on a canceled Joss Whedon show, which was enough to get me to see it. Apparently I was lucky because it was only in theaters for like two weeks. Then I had to see Firefly so my brother and I bought the box set. Serenity was good by itself and good enough to get me to see Firefly, but it was much better having seeing the series.

Strangelove on the other hand is its own great movie (although improved by Sellers experience). However, I'm a browncoat through and through, so I would have to go with Serenity.

Although, had I been present for the voting, I might have voted for Strangelove just for the tie...

Ask a Tranny Podcast
"Watching someone bootstrap themselves into sentience is the most science fiction thing you can do." -wintermute